Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: little help needed..
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers little help needed.. Post 302163801 by hilofat on Saturday 2nd of February 2008 11:56:39 AM
Old 02-02-2008
hi Tytalus, thanks for the quick reply.. Smilie anyway i tried both your commands.. the first one returned in a whole chunk of words.. the 2nd one couldnt work.. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help is needed

Hi I'm trying to print a directories struct tree that will look like this: A _a _b _B __c __d __C ___e B _a _b I'm doing a recursion, but how can I know how much space is needed before printing after the recursion? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abcde
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed

Hello I am a newbie and want to learn unix . Does unix and linux are one and same. I have red hat linux cd but i want to take advice from some one wheather unix and linux are same. If not ,where i'll get a Unix os setup and how i'll install it. If linux would do then how should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hunter87
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed

HI can any one help me with the appropriate answers for the below: 1.Enter an # before a command and press .what do you see,and how do you think you can take advantage of the behaviour? 2.Is tar -cvfb20foo.tar*.c legitimate or not.will this command work without the - symbol? 3.The command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akhil1460
1 Replies

4. AIX

Little help needed.

Hello, I am quite new to AIX, but have Linux experience. Iam facing a peoblem with AIX 5.2 running on a 43p Model 150 (RS6000). I tried everyting and i cant have the network to run properly. :confused: /etc/hosts looks like this: 127.0.0.1 loopback localhost 192.168.XXX.XXX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Netghost
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed please.

i've been given an assignment to Write a system utility called recycle that satisfies the following requirements as they might be displayed in a UNIX/Linux man page: NAME recycle - stores files in a recycle bin SYNOPSIS recycle ... DESCRIPTION Recycle is a replacement for the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerryboy78
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed ....

Hi... I have a folder /home/data ;where some files are present. aaa_asas.txt bbb_xxx.txt ccc_xsxas.txt ddd_sa2esa.txt ------ Also I have a file which is as follows.(/home/file1) cat /home/file1 aaa you bbb are ccc very ddd good -------- now I want to rename all the files in the folder... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbee1
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed...

Guys, There is a file where there are 1000s of records. In the file if some condition satisfies in a certain TAB record (TAB would be first 3 digits of a certain record) then move TAB and all the records (or lines) after TAB to new_file, until another TAB record is encountered in the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prat007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed

please reply for this https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/111493-cutting-lines.html its really urgent (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jojo123
1 Replies

9. Linux

Help needed

hi experts, i am a beginner in AIX..recently got a chance to work with unix team. we have an interface server through which we connect to production servers.. there were lot of files inside root (/) of that interface server owned by different ppl...by mistake i changed the ownership and group of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinimerwe
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed

First of all, let me state that I am a windows admin. I have a windows share mounted to /mnt/server I need a script that will either login as sudo or perform commands with sudo rights. I need the script to copy all of the users /home folders to the mounted windows share. Now If I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EricM
2 Replies
ADDPART(8)                                                     System Administration                                                    ADDPART(8)

NAME
addpart - tell the kernel about the existence of a partition SYNOPSIS
addpart device partition start length DESCRIPTION
addpart tells the Linux kernel about the existence of the specified partition. The command is a simple wrapper around the "add partition" ioctl. This command doesn't manipulate partitions on a block device. PARAMETERS
device The disk device. partition The partition number. start The beginning of the partition (in 512-byte sectors). length The length of the partition (in 512-byte sectors). SEE ALSO
delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8), partx(8) AVAILABILITY
The addpart command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux January 2015 ADDPART(8)