Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: little help needed..
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers little help needed.. Post 302163797 by Tytalus on Saturday 2nd of February 2008 11:32:00 AM
Old 02-02-2008
Code:
ps -ef -o pid,ppid,user,pcpu,stime,s,args | tail +2 |sort -nr +3

should do you (note, I rearranged your order slightly to put the command at the end to avoid any issues with spaces/column counting for the sort)..and the "tail +2" is just to get rid of the header line.

If you just want your processes try:

Code:
 ps -fu $USER -o pid,ppid,user,pcpu,stime,s,args | tail +2 |sort -nr +3

HTH,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help is needed

Hi I'm trying to print a directories struct tree that will look like this: A _a _b _B __c __d __C ___e B _a _b I'm doing a recursion, but how can I know how much space is needed before printing after the recursion? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abcde
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed

Hello I am a newbie and want to learn unix . Does unix and linux are one and same. I have red hat linux cd but i want to take advice from some one wheather unix and linux are same. If not ,where i'll get a Unix os setup and how i'll install it. If linux would do then how should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hunter87
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed

HI can any one help me with the appropriate answers for the below: 1.Enter an # before a command and press .what do you see,and how do you think you can take advantage of the behaviour? 2.Is tar -cvfb20foo.tar*.c legitimate or not.will this command work without the - symbol? 3.The command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akhil1460
1 Replies

4. AIX

Little help needed.

Hello, I am quite new to AIX, but have Linux experience. Iam facing a peoblem with AIX 5.2 running on a 43p Model 150 (RS6000). I tried everyting and i cant have the network to run properly. :confused: /etc/hosts looks like this: 127.0.0.1 loopback localhost 192.168.XXX.XXX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Netghost
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed please.

i've been given an assignment to Write a system utility called recycle that satisfies the following requirements as they might be displayed in a UNIX/Linux man page: NAME recycle - stores files in a recycle bin SYNOPSIS recycle ... DESCRIPTION Recycle is a replacement for the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerryboy78
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed ....

Hi... I have a folder /home/data ;where some files are present. aaa_asas.txt bbb_xxx.txt ccc_xsxas.txt ddd_sa2esa.txt ------ Also I have a file which is as follows.(/home/file1) cat /home/file1 aaa you bbb are ccc very ddd good -------- now I want to rename all the files in the folder... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbee1
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed...

Guys, There is a file where there are 1000s of records. In the file if some condition satisfies in a certain TAB record (TAB would be first 3 digits of a certain record) then move TAB and all the records (or lines) after TAB to new_file, until another TAB record is encountered in the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prat007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed

please reply for this https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/111493-cutting-lines.html its really urgent (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jojo123
1 Replies

9. Linux

Help needed

hi experts, i am a beginner in AIX..recently got a chance to work with unix team. we have an interface server through which we connect to production servers.. there were lot of files inside root (/) of that interface server owned by different ppl...by mistake i changed the ownership and group of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinimerwe
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed

First of all, let me state that I am a windows admin. I have a windows share mounted to /mnt/server I need a script that will either login as sudo or perform commands with sudo rights. I need the script to copy all of the users /home folders to the mounted windows share. Now If I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EricM
2 Replies
MTAIL(1)							   User Commands							  MTAIL(1)

NAME
mtail - tail variant designed for web developers monitoring logfiles SYNOPSIS
mtail [options] <file>... DESCRIPTION
MonkeyTail allows a user to tail multiple files on both local and remote hosts and clearly marks inactivity by putting 5 newlines in the output whenever a pause in output over 3 seconds is detected. MonkeyTail is implemented a fairly simple wrapper script around standard tail, ssh, and sudo. OPTIONS
-q Quiet mode --quiet " " -n Output the last N lines of each file before tailing (defaults to 0) <file>... Files to tail. These can specified in the following ways: @<groupname> - expands the group (from .mtailrc) to a list of files to tail <filename> - tails a local file. +<filename> - attempts to sudo and tail a local file (will prompt for pwd if required). <remotehost>:<filename> - attempts to invoke tail via ssh on a remote host. +<remotehost>:<filename> - attempts to invoke sudo tail via ssh on a remote host (will prompt for pwd if required). SEE ALSO
mtailrc(5), tail(1) AUTHOR
Martyn Smith <martyn@dollyfish.net.nz> mtail May 2008 MTAIL(1)