Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users assistance requested (sed related) Post 302163748 by reborg on Saturday 2nd of February 2008 05:16:42 AM
Old 02-02-2008
Awk is a much less unsuitable tool for manipulating a paswd file than sed.

Also be aware that on many systems root's password is set to /sbin/sh and uses a statically compiles shell which should not be changed.

Code:
sed 's#:[^:][^:]*$#/bin/bash#' /etc/passwd

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need assistance: sed and repeating patterns

hi, I need to write a command with sed to find all the lines in a file that contain patterns of three or more characters that repeat once and put them inside perenthezes. I cannot tell sed what pattern to look for. it should find repeated patterns automatically. example:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: metalwarrior
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help requested for a script with sed

Hello Folks, I would very much appreciate if I could get help/suggestions on a particular sed usage. I have to write a script to take version info from a version file, compute the image name, print error if the image does not exist. The version file looks like below: " # # version.cfg #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fatimap
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on sed requested

Hi I have a problem to resolve, I think sed is the best option, and I am not successful yet. Have a UNIX file which has records as of the 2 character state codes like NY NJ PA DE From the file I need to create this as a variable in the same script or another file -... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: snair2010
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need assistance with sed

Hi All, I need your assistance, I would like to replace all lines beginning with the word "begin" with the below text: Device | IPMB0-A | IPMB0-B Board Address |Sent SentErr %Errr |Sent SentErr ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need assistance with sed

Hi All, I need your assistance, I would like to replace all lines beginning with the word "begin" with the below text: Device | IPMB0-A | IPMB0-B Board Address |Sent SentErr %Errr |Sent SentErr ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed newbie scripting assistance

Howdy folks, I'm trying to craft a log file summarisation tool for an application that creates a lot of duplicate entries with only a different suffix to indicate point of execution. I thought I'd gotten close but I'm clearly missing something. Here's a genericized version: A text_file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mthespian
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed/command assistance

Hello all, I need some help and education creating a script. Basically I have a file with a list of numbers.. 2125554444 2124445555 I need to put them into a format that looks like this.... UQ-V8.1,2125554444,hdaudio UQ-V8.1,2124445555,hdaudio Any help would be greatly... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jay11789
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed/command assistance

Hello, I'm attempting to play with sed commands again... I have a file named test1 with numbers...ex:5551234567 I run this sed on the file... cat test1 | sed 's/^/homeDnModify "/g' | sed 's/$/" "" 3/g' >test2 Im hoping it will look like this... homeDnModify "551235" "4567" ""... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jay11789
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed assistance

Hello everyone. I am trying to replace sprintf(buffer, "{\"id\":1,\"method\":\"mining.update_block\",\"params\":}\n", coinid, blockhash); with sprintf(buffer, "{\"id\":1,\"method\":\"mining.update_block\",\"params\":}\n", coinid, blockhash); this is the code I was trying but is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: crombiecrunch
9 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)