Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: string comparison
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting string comparison Post 302163594 by Jatsui on Friday 1st of February 2008 02:52:04 PM
Old 02-01-2008
string comparison

Hello experts,

(tcsh shell)

Quite new to shell scripting...

I have got a file with a single word on each line. Want to be able to make a comparison such that i can read pairs of words that are ROT13 to each other. Also, i would like to print the pairs to another file.

Any help appreciated....

Thanks in advance !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

String Comparison

Hi all, I have a file like this ibhib=ere wefwfl=werfe sfdes=wef From this file, i need to get the lefthand side string with respect to the corresponding righthand side string. i.e, I need to get the string "ere" with respect to "ibhib". But i am stuck with how to compare a string... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abey
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

string comparison

The script will read a bunch of names, and test if it contains "John", but as below apparently ~ does not work, so what is the easiest way to perform string comparison in bash shell script? thanks ... elif then echo "get John" .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string comparison

Hi Guys i need to write a script to check the file structure I have added the the file headers in the configuration file and execute the file at the start of the script. Now the function checkFileStructure() { echo "Inside the function" filetocheck=$1 fileheader=$2 if ] then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Swapna173
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with String Comparison

I'm running the following script to compare string values to a regexp: for entry in $(lpinfo -v | cut -c 1-); do if then echo "blah" continue fi done Whenever I run it, each token of lpinfo is being interpreted as a command and I get errors such as: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hypnotic_meat
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need Help on String Comparison

Hi , My requirement is to read from a file into a variable. I need to check if the variable is equal to string "no rows selected". The sh script snippet is as follows: file=/data/lpgtwo/home/nikhilp/TriggerNames.txt echo $file var=`cat $file` echo $var if then echo "No... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MNG
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with string comparison

#!/bin/sh PRINTF=/usr/bin/printf MACHINE_NAME=`uname -n` TIME=`date +"%H"` $PRINTF "Welcome to $MACHINE_NAME. What is your name?\n" read NAME if ; then $PRINTF "Good morning $NAME, how are you?\n" elif ; then $PRINTF "Good afternoon $NAME, how are you?\n" else $PRINTF "Good... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

passing letters from an array into a string for string comparison

attempting the hangman program. This was an optional assignment from the professor. I have completed the logical coding, debugging now. ##I have an array $wordString that initializes to a string of dashes ##reflecting the number of letters in $theWord ##every time the user enters a (valid)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotsofideas
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparison

hi team, i want to compare the below string from logs, but its is not working. if ]; then echo "restart some process" fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfaizan40
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies
fstrcasecmpi(3) 					     Library Functions Manual						   fstrcasecmpi(3)

NAME
fstrcasecmpi - fuzzy comparison of two strings ignoring case SYNOPSIS
#include <fstrcmp.h> #define FSTRCMP_IDENTICAL #define FSTRCMP_THRESHOLD #define FSTRCMP_ERROR int fstrcasecmpi(const char *string1, const char *string2); DESCRIPTION
The fstrcmp() function compares the two strings, string1 and string2, ignoring case. RETURN VALUE
The fstrcasecmpi function returns an int value between 0 and FSTRCMPI_IDENTICAL. A value of 0 means the strings are utterly un-alike. A value of FSTRCMPI_IDENTICAL means the strings are identical. A value of more than FSTRCMPI_THRESHOLD (it lies between 0 and FSTRCMPI_IDEN- TICAL) would be considered "similar" by most people. A value of FSTRCMPI_ERROR (always negative) indicates a malloc(3) failure. SEE ALSO
fstrcasecmp(3) fuzzy comparison of two strings ignoring case fstrcmpi(3) fuzzy comparison of two strings COPYRIGHT
fstrcmp version 0.4 Copyright (C) 2009 Peter Miller Peter Miller <pmiller@opensource.org.au> The comparison code is derived from the fuzzy comparison functions in GNU Gettext 0.17. The GNU Gettext comparison functions were, in turn, derived from GNU Diff 2.7. Copyright (C) 1988-2009 Free Software Foundation fstrcasecmpi(3)