Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris assigning ip to second interface Post 302163421 by DukeNuke2 on Friday 1st of February 2008 01:54:47 AM
Old 02-01-2008
please post the output of:
Code:
ifconfig -a
grep net /etc/path_to_inst

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning variables

Before I even attempt this, is it possible to grep for a pattern, maybe a partial sentence like "go to page 3", assign that to a variable and then use awk or something to pull out the 3 and assign it to a variable? So first I would have Gotopg = "go to page 3" then page = 3 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: k@ssidy
9 Replies

2. HP-UX

Assigning IP's

hi all, i want to know where i can add and IP address so when i do a "w", i can see what IP is assigned to which tty? i know in tru64 you just added an entry to /etc/hosts. this does not seem to be the case with hpux. thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: macgre_r
12 Replies

3. Solaris

Command line Interface or GUI Interface not shown on solaris

Dear all, I am a newbie in solaris and I need your advice. I have a Solaris version 5.9 installed on Sunfire V240. I am able to ssh the machine from putty remotely. My problem is that I cannot see the display from KVM switch I have connected to it. I need also to be able to see the GUI... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbouster
2 Replies

4. SCO

Change SCO - GUI or Desktop interface to DOS based interface

Hi all I have installed a demo version of SCO OpenServer 5.0.2, I finally found it is Desktop Interface, I would like to know how to change its interface to dos based interface? If you have any ideas, please tell me then. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinhNhi
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Need a bridge from an ethernet interface to a serial interface

This is my situation DOS pc serial cable (sl0) Linux Pc eth1 192.168.0.10 <-------------------->192.168.0.2 <------------>192.168.0.1 (router) I connected the linux pc and the dos pc with a SLIP (serial line internet protocol), so they can communicate in the sl0 interface. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning variables

i have variables RECIPIENTS_DEVL,RECIPIENTS_UACC,RECIPIENTS_PROD i have a case statement to get the phase variable: case ${WMD_UPHASE1} in u) WMD_UPHASE4=UACC;; i) WMD_UPHASE4=DEVL;; p) WMD_UPHASE4=PROD;; d) WMD_UPHASE4=DEVL;; *) WMD_UPHASE4=DEVL;; esac I am unable to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a network interface to a bonded interface

I have a RHEL 5 system with a bonded interface configure using only one network port (eth0). So I have config file for ifcfg-bond0 and ifcfg-eth. I'd like to configure eth5 to be the second SLAVE in the bond. My question is, after I modify ifcfg-eth5, can I add eth5 to the bond0 interface without... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

C program to detect duplicate ip address if any after assigning ip address to ethernet interface

Hi , Could someone let me know how to detect duplicate ip address after assigning ip address to ethernet interface using c program (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning ipv6 to bonding interface - getting old as well as changed ipv6 in ifconfig output

Hi, I have created a bonding bond1 interface with 6 Eth , mode=4. Recently i have changed my old ipv6 to new one and tried to restart as well as reload network service. Post which i can see old as well as changed ipv6 in ifconfig command output. Below are few files and command output for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
1 Replies
path_to_inst(4) 						   File Formats 						   path_to_inst(4)

NAME
path_to_inst - device instance number file SYNOPSIS
/etc/path_to_inst DESCRIPTION
/etc/path_to_inst records mappings of physical device names to instance numbers. The instance number of a device is encoded in its minor number, and is the way that a device driver determines which of the possible devices that it may drive is referred to by a given special file. In order to keep instance numbers persistent across reboots, the system records them in /etc/path_to_inst. This file is read only at boot time, and is updated by add_drv(1M) and drvconfig(1M). Note that it is generally not necessary for the system administrator to change this file, as the system will maintain it. The system administrator can change the assignment of instance numbers by editing this file and doing a reconfiguration reboot. However, any changes made in this file will be lost if add_drv(1M) or drvconfig(1M) is run before the system is rebooted. Each instance entry is a single line of the form: "physical name" instance number "driver binding name" where physical name is the absolute physical pathname of a device. This pathname must be enclosed in double quotes. instance number is a decimal or hexadecimal number. driver binding name is the name used to determine the driver for the device. This name may be a driver alias or a driver name. The driver binding name must be enclosed in double quotes. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample path_to_inst Entries Here are some sample path_to_inst entries: "/iommu@f,e0000000" 0 "iommu" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000" 0 "sbus" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/sbusmem@e,0" 14 "sbusmem" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/sbusmem@f,0" 15 "sbusmem" "/iommu@f,e0000000/sbus@f,e0001000/ledma@f,400010" 0 "ledma" "/obio/serial@0,100000" 0 "zs" "/SUNW,sx@f,80000000" 0 "SUNW,sx" FILES
/etc/path_to_inst SEE ALSO
add_drv(1M), boot(1M), drvconfig(1M), mknod(1M) WARNINGS
If the file is removed the system may not be bootable (as it may rely on information found in this file to find the root, usr or swap device). If it does successfully boot, it will regenerate the file, but after rebooting devices may end up having different minor numbers than they did before, and special files created via mknod(1M) may refer to different devices than expected. For the same reasons, changes should not be made to this file without careful consideration. NOTES
This document does not constitute an API. path_to_inst may not exist or may have a different content or interpretation in a future release. The existence of this notice does not imply that any other documentation that lacks this notice constitutes an API. SunOS 5.10 2 Nov 1995 path_to_inst(4)