Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell program:Help required on file formating Post 302163411 by udiptya on Friday 1st of February 2008 01:08:47 AM
Old 02-01-2008
file1:
name
nameabc
bcd
nameabcdefg

file2:
age2345
age6743

Above given are my two files. I have issued a command like

echo "`paste -d'|' file1 file2`" > file3

I am getting file3 as:
name|age
nameabc|age1111
bcd|age2345
nameabcdefg|age6743

whereas I want the values to start from a single column. Something like

file3:
name\t\t\t\t\t\t\t|age
nameabc\t\t\t\t\t|age1111
bcd\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t|age2345
nameabcdefg\t\t\t|ge6743

All of the data in red should start from a fixed column!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

A C program required for portability

I have to solve a problem for my wife who is engaged in Research in Breast Cancer. 1. She has frequently to search a long single line of alphabetic characters (lower case) for an exact match of a string. e.g.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmsinghe
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Urgent help required in Shell Program

How do I Ftp, and rename multiple files in one unix script. I have to send it with .tmp extension , then rename it to .txt after FTP is done . I need to do a Mass rename of more than 1 file in a shell script , Urgent help required. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Suppandi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent help required in deleting a line without opening a file usinga shell script

Hi, I need a help in deleting a line matching a particular pattern in a file using shell script without opening the file. The file is a .c/.cpp file. Is it possible? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help required on file formating

I have two files file1 and file2 as shown below: file1: name nameabc bcd nameabcdefg file2: age age1111 age2345 age6743 I have pasted one file on the other with the delimiter "|" and the resulttant file is: name|age nameabc|age1111 bcd|age2345 nameabcdefg|age6743 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udiptya
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting required fields from a test file in required fromat in unix

My data is something like shown below. date1 date2 aaa bbbb ccccc date3 date4 dddd eeeeeee ffffffffff ggggg hh I want the output like this date1date2 aaa eeeeee I serached in the forum but didn't find the exact matching solution. Please help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple program help required

The circumfrence of a circle is #!/usr/bin/perl print 2 * 3.141592654 * 12.50 \n"; # pi= 3.141592654 # r= 12.50 I need a simple program showing me all the steps..to modify the above to prompt for and accept a radius from the person running the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Q2wert
3 Replies

7. Programming

Why is required to leave an empty line at the end of a C program?

I know it looks like a stupid question, but i really wanna know the reason. Actually, i think it's because the c compiler will detect it as the end of file "EOF" of the program, but, am i wrong? because it compiles it anyway, but keep showing warnings like "no new line at the end of file". I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: semash!
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me! Format output file using shell program

Hi, I have following input file. I want to generate output file in specific format using shell program. The input file has atleast few thousands of lines, the below are some sample lines. Input file: "ORDER NO"|"ORDER AMT"|"LINE ITEM"|"LINE AMT"|"SALES COMMISION %" ORD3456|5000|LIN345|30|25%... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsubha
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help required in program

I have below code, i need to modify it, to search for files (*.php,*.css,*.html) in those directores which have 777 permission, how to modify this code. Because it is moving all files. while true do sleep 60 DATE=$(date +%Y-%m-%d) # Creates dir only if it... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
21 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required with a file rename shell script

Hello everyone, Posting here after a long time, been away from unix world lately and it seems I have forgotten my shell scripting completely. I have a requirement where a csv file contains following columns: Full Registration VIN Stock... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
14 Replies
COLORGCCRC(5)							File Formats Manual						     COLORGCCRC(5)

NAME
colorgccrc - configuration file for colorgcc DESCRIPTION
A colorgccrc configuration file is used to configure the highlighting of the compiler output from colorgcc. SYNTAX
Each line consists of a keyword designating a configuration variable. The keyword is followed by `:' and then one or several values (depending on the keyword). Lines beginning with a hash mark `#' are comments. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
g++ | gcc | c++ | cc | g77 | gcj | gnat | gpc Specifies the paths to the compilers. Takes one value; a path to the compiler. nocolor Specifies what terminal types colorization should be disabled on. Takes one or several values, separated by whitespace. srcColor Specifies the highlighting attributes source-code should be given. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. introColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for normal compiler output. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningFileNameColor | errorFileNameColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the filename in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningNumberColor | errorNumberColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the line-number in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningMessageColor | errorMessageColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the message-text in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. COLOR ATTRIBUTES
The following attributes are valid for highlighting. clear, reset bold, underline, underscore, blink, reverse, concealed black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, white on_black, on_red, on_green, on_yellow, on_blue, on_magenta, on_cyan, on_white SEE ALSO
gcc(1), colorgcc(1) HISTORY
Jan 15 2003: Initial version of this manual-page. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <jmoyers@geeks.com> AUTHORS
Jamie Moyers <jmoyers@geeks.com> is the author of colorgcc. This manual page was written by Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>, and modified by David Weinehall <tao@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003 Jamie Moyers This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Jan 15, 2003 COLORGCCRC(5)