Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting searching string in unix bin ( executable) Post 302163358 by frank_rizzo on Thursday 31st of January 2008 10:28:10 PM
Old 01-31-2008
what's wrong with the strings commands? It is designed for that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hi! Searching for a text string in UNIX

Hi! I'm new here and glad to meet everyone! I've been wrestling with a problem lately however! How do I recursively (recursive means to keep going through the subdirectories until no more are there) search a bunch of textfiles in a long directory structure for a specific string.. but only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skwadim
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot run UNIX executable !

I have installed the Darwin Calendar Server on my Mac and got it working. To start the server I open a Finder window on my mac and click the UNIX executable called RUN. In order to start the server automatically on bootup I used LINGON to add a startup Daemon to call "RUN -d". When I reboot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thylacine
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a substring from a string in UNIX

Hi all. I need help with a command to locate a substring from a string. My problem is I am passing a direcotry name as a command line argument and I need to ensure that user should not pass certain directories. E.g ther are Directories under ==> /opt/projects/* which should not be passed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veenak15
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix executable file

Hi - How can I find out under sh whitch file is an unix executable file? Need it for an software inventory. Thanks in advance. Regards - Lazybaer (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazybaer
6 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Plist to Unix Executable

I'm using an old conversion method for converting a plist into an XML file, but that's not what I'm needing just via terminal now. What I'm looking for is an answer to convert a plist file into an executable. I'd like to import it into Casper and have the JSS push it out onto an image. In this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimachead
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching the required string and appending string to it.

Hi all, I have some data in the form of adc|nvhs|nahssn|njadnk|nkfds in the above data i need to write a script so thet it will append "|||" to the third occurnace in the string ..... the outout should look like adc|nvhs|nahssn||||njadnk|nkfds Thanks, Firestar. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create executable file just like in folder /bin?

I know shell is an interpreter language, but can I make an executable file just like in folder /bin, /usr/bin, etc which source code was from a .sh file or from some .sh files?? My main purpose is to hide the source code. thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 14th
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a String

Hi everyone ! suppose i'm searching for a specific string in a file so it is very easy, i use the following command grep 'keyword' file_name but how to search a word which is repeated maximum number of times in a file, for example in the following text i have to search a word which is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ourned
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to bin/find w/ -follow without searching both link and target

I am interested in searching links to files not found within a directory, so I use the -follow option. However, the dir may contain links to files that are also found within the dir. That means if I bin/find a bunch of files then search their contents using grep, I get redundant information. An... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevensw
1 Replies
UUX(1C) 																   UUX(1C)

NAME
uux - unix to unix command execution SYNOPSIS
uux [ - ] command-string DESCRIPTION
Uux will gather 0 or more files from various systems, execute a command on a specified system and send standard output to a file on a spec- ified system. The command-string is made up of one or more arguments that look like a shell command line, except that the command and file names may be prefixed by system-name!. A null system-name is interpreted as the local system. File names may be one of(1) a full pathname; (2) a pathname preceded by ~xxx; where xxx is a userid on the specified system and is replaced by that user's login directory; (3) anything else is prefixed by the current directory. The `-' option will cause the standard input to the uux command to be the standard input to the command-string. For example, the command uux "!diff usg!/usr/dan/f1 pwba!/a4/dan/f1 > !fi.diff" will get the f1 files from the usg and pwba machines, execute a diff command and put the results in f1.diff in the local directory. Any special shell characters such as <>;| should be quoted either by quoting the entire command-string, or quoting the special characters as individual arguments. FILES
/usr/uucp/spool - spool directory /usr/uucp/* - other data and programs SEE ALSO
uucp(1) D. A. Nowitz, Uucp implementation description WARNING
An installation may, and for security reasons generally will, limit the list of commands executable on behalf of an incoming request from uux. Typically, a restricted site will permit little other than the receipt of mail via uux. BUGS
Only the first command of a shell pipeline may have a system-name!. All other commands are executed on the system of the first command. The use of the shell metacharacter * will probably not do what you want it to do. The shell tokens << and >> are not implemented. There is no notification of denial of execution on the remote machine. UUX(1C)