Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Making a progress gauge in a bash script Post 302163255 by ccox85 on Thursday 31st of January 2008 11:28:31 AM
Old 01-31-2008
Making a progress gauge in a bash script

Hello once again:
One thing that seems to be a nice feature is a progress gauge... so I can see how long an operation will take for a task to complete if it is requiring a lot of processing or the file is enormous. I have seen references to gauge operations, but I don't know anything about it or how to use it, or anything like that. Can some give me an example of creating a gauge, text based, not graphical, or direct me to a decent tutorial? Thank you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making Application by bash

I'm using Mac OSX. And i want to make an visual application based on bash command. But, apple script doesn't support Terminal command. So please tell me how to turn my dream into a reality. :o I mean purely by bash! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Euler04
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl module script to draw speedometer/gauge graphs

Hi, Has anyone used any perl modules to draw dashboard/gauge graphs similar to a speedometer? I am looking to create some graphs in perl. Please share your thoughts if there are any modules and an example script. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: devtakh
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: making a count

ok basically im trying to count how many people fail a class by comparing there grade by -gt 49 i tried putting a count inside the while loop but i know you cant access a count outside a subshell. is there an easy way to count the number of failures? declare -i failcount=0 awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nilekyle
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a bash script and small C program for a homework assignment

Here's the assignment. I'll bold the parts that are rough for me. Unfortunately, that's quite a bit lol. The syntax is, of course, where my issues lie, for the most part. I don't have a lot of programming experience at all :/. I'd post what I've already done, but I'm so lost I really don't know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: twk101
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in making a basic bash script

Hi All, I am trying to monitor CPU load of few processes, with the same name. The output that I get from top is the following 28171 root 20 0 1089m 21m 3608 S 103 0.3 15:16.89 /opt/ppp//h264rtptranscoder.bin --videoPort=14504 --audioPort=14505 27589 root 20 0 1060m 23m... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liviusbr
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script for making complexes of ligands and receptor

I am working with autodock vina for virtual screening and docking with cygwin. Autodock vina generates conformers for multiple ligands. I want to make the complex of these conformers with receptor. e.g. I have 100 .pdbqt files form vina output and one receptor pdbqt file. By running command- cut... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajesh Patil
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making bash script allways executable when transfer ?

Does it possible to make some bash script automatic to be a executable when transfered to another pc...? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
5 Replies

9. Programming

Program or bash script to see total progress of copy

hi all, i want a program or to make a bash script to find out the total ETA/percent (would be nice aswell a progress bar) of a copy recursive command so lets say i do - cp -r /source_folder/ /destinatation_folder/ and when i run it i get no information on the screen of how the copy is... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Scripting: Adding runtime in a progress bar

I have the following code that generates a progress bar and want to add the current execution time after the percentage value. The current execution time is stored in the variable `runtm` I am having a problem on how to add `runtm` in the last `printf` or after it. i=0; j=0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies
SERVICE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						SERVICE(8)

NAME
service -- control (start/stop/etc.) or list system services SYNOPSIS
service -e service -R service [-v] -l | -r service [-v] <rc.d script> start|stop|etc. DESCRIPTION
The service command is an easy interface to the rc.d system. Its primary purpose is to start and stop services provided by the rc.d scripts. When used for this purpose it will set the same restricted environment that is in use at boot time (see below). It can also be used to list the scripts using various criteria. The options are as follows: -e List services that are enabled. The list of scripts to check is compiled using rcorder(8) the same way that it is done in rc(8), then that list of scripts is checked for an "rcvar" assignment. If present the script is checked to see if it is enabled. -R Restart all enabled local services. -l List all files in /etc/rc.d and the local startup directories. As described in rc.conf(5) this is usually /usr/local/etc/rc.d. All files will be listed whether they are an actual rc.d script or not. -r Generate the rcorder(8) as in -e above, but list all of the files, not just what is enabled. -v Be slightly more verbose ENVIRONMENT
When used to run rc.d scripts the service command sets HOME to / and PATH to /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin which is how they are set in /etc/rc at boot time. EXIT STATUS
The service utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following are examples of typical usage of the service command: service named status service -rv The following programmable completion entry can be use in bash(1) for the names of the rc.d scripts: _service () { local cur cur=${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD]} COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -W '$( service -l )' -- $cur ) ) return 0 } complete -F _service service SEE ALSO
bash(1) (ports/shells/bash), rc.conf(5), rc(8), rcorder(8) HISTORY
The service utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Douglas Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
December 11, 2012 BSD