Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace floating-point by integer in awk Post 302163179 by fpmurphy on Thursday 31st of January 2008 06:39:45 AM
Old 01-31-2008
The following shortened version of your script should show you how to do it:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/awk -f

BEGIN {
    i = 1;
    atomlist = "H ,He,Li,Be,B ,C ,N ,O ,F ,Ne,Na,Mg,Al,Si,P ,S ,Cl,Ar,K ,Ca,Sc,Ti,V,Cr,Mn,Fe,Co,Ni,Cu,Zn,Ga,Ge,As,Se,Br,Kr,Rb,Sr,Y,Zr,Nb,Mo,Tc,Ru,Rh,Pd,Ag,Cd,In
,Sn,Sb,Te,I,Xe,Cs,Ba,La,Ce,Pr,Nd,Pm,Sm,Eu,Gd,Tb,Dy,Ho,Er,Tm,Yb,Lu,Hf,Ta,W,Re,Os,Ir,Pt,Au,Hg,Tl,Pb,Bi,Po,At,Rn,F r,Ra,Ac,Th,Pa,U,Np,Pu,Am,Cm,Bk,Cf,Es,Fm,Md,No,Lr,Rf,Db,Sg,Bh,Hs,Mt";
    split(atomlist,PSE,",")
}

/Geometry "geometry" -> "geometry"/,/Atomic Mass/ {
     if ( $1 ~ /[0-9]+/ ) {
         S[i] = $3;
         x = $3"abc";        # convert to string
         y = x + 0;           # convert to integer
         printf("%s %d\n",PSE[y], y);
     }
}

~
~

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with floating point numbers in awk

hi all, i have the following problem using awk in a script i want to read the values from a column with real numbers and calculate the mean.the problem is that when i use a statement such as this num = $4 i cant find a way to convert the variable from string to floating point to perform... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanagias
7 Replies

2. Programming

Floating point error in C

Hi, see the simple code below double i; i=8080.9940; printf(" val :%.30f\n",i); output i m getting is val :8080.993999999999700000000000000 when i m expecting val :8080.9940 what happens?how can i avoid it? thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hara
2 Replies

3. Linux

Floating Point Exception

Hi, I am compiling "HelloWorld" C progam on 32-bit CentOS and i want to execute it on 64-bit CentOS architecture. For that i copied the a.out file from 32-bit to 64-bit machine, but while executing a.out file on 64bit machine I am getting "Floating point exception error". But we can run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandar123
3 Replies

4. Programming

Floating point Emulator

what is floating point emulator(FPE)? where and why it is used? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgmfourms
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check if input is an integer or a floating point?

Hiii I actually intent to check the integer or floating point number input by user i.e. 23, 100, 55.25, 12.50 ..etc. However, when someone input strings or alpha character, my program has to show invalid input.!! Is there any Unix shell script syntax can help me to check ? Thanking you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Floating point to integer in variable length lines

Hi ! I'm looking for a way to transform certain floating point numbers in a one-line, variable length file to integers. I can do this in a crude way with sed : sed -e 's/0\.\(\):/\1:/g' -e 's/0\.0\(\):/\1:/g' -e 's/1\.000:/100:/g' myfile ... but this doesn't handle the rounding correctly. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jossojjos
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, floating point and rounding

I had a person bring an interesting problem to me that appears to involve some sort of rounding inside awk. I've verified this with awk and nawk on Solaris as well as with gawk 3.1.5 on a Linux box. The original code fragment he brought me was thus: for (index=0; index < 1; index=index+.1) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmyer2
4 Replies

8. Programming

Floating Point

Anyone help me i cant found the error of floating point if needed, i added the code complete #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <ctype.h> typedef struct { int hh; int mm; int ss; char nom; int punt; }cancion; typedef struct... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slasho
9 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

awk a integer and replace it minus X

hey, i have a list of devices that looks like so: VolumeTask(DeviceName(DeviceName(DeviceNameInfo(MultiPathType_UID(Option<GUDeviceID>(GUDeviceID(ulonglong(358271365120608989UL))),Option<ulong>())))),2098560),... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: boaz733
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing floating number and replace the smaller one with awk?

Hi guys, I tried to write a script for replacing some number in a bunch of files. However, I failed because my limited bash scripting knowledge. Here I will explain the expected function: I have many data files need to be processed. Here shows one part of a file as an example: a list with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
7 Replies
Geometry::Primitive(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Geometry::Primitive(3pm)

NAME
Geometry::Primitive - Primitive Geometry Entities SYNOPSIS
Geometry::Primitive is a device and library agnostic system for representing geometric entities such as points, lines and shapes. It provides simple objects and many convenience methods you would expect from a simple geometry library. use Geometry::Primitive::Point; my $foo = Geometry::Primitive::Point->new(x => 1, y => 3); ... DISCLAIMER
I'm not a math guy. I hate math. I will likely learn a lot in the process of making this library. If you are a math person you will probably look at this and find many things missing or wrong. Patches are encouraged. I will likely find that I've done something completely wrong having taken geometry over 10 years ago. C'est la vie. ENTITIES
Arc Bezier Circle Ellipse Line Point Polygon Rectangle SERIALIZATON
All of the entities in this library support serialization via MooseX::Storage. This is primarily to support serialization in consumers of this library, but may be useful for other purposes. All classes are set to JSON format and File IO. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Many of the ideas here come from my experience using the Cairo library. BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests to "bug-geometry-primitive at rt.cpan.org", or through the web interface at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Geometry-Primitive>. I will be notified, and then you'll automatically be notified of progress on your bug as I make changes. COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-01-10 Geometry::Primitive(3pm)