Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help required on file formating Post 302163117 by udiptya on Thursday 31st of January 2008 04:41:16 AM
Old 01-31-2008
Question Help required on file formating

I have two files file1 and file2 as shown below:
file1:
name
nameabc
bcd
nameabcdefg

file2:
age2345
age6743

I have pasted one file on the other with the delimiter "|" and the resulttant file is:
name|age
nameabc|age1111
bcd|age2345
nameabcdefg|age6743

but I want it to be formatted like this:
name |age
nameabc |age1111
bcd |age2345
nameabcdefg |age6743

I tried it with "\t" but since the length of name can vary the number of tabs is not constant. Can anybody give a solution to this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell program:Help required on file formating

I have two files file1 and file2 as shown below: file1: name nameabc bcd nameabcdefg file2: age age1111 age2345 age6743 I have pasted one file on the other with the delimiter "|" and the resulttant file is: name|age nameabc|age1111 bcd|age2345 nameabcdefg|age6743 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: udiptya
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File formating question.

Hi, I have a file with only data 1 row: AA#?BB#?CC#?DD Assume '#?' is the delimiter, i want the output in another file to be: AA BB CC DD Pls let me know if this is possible by sed ? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smc3
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

file formating in Perl

Hi, I am new to unix , I have a requirement for formating the input file and generate the output file as per the downstream requirement .. My application receiving a text input file having 4 field and my application need to check each field and if some value of a field is blank ..then it need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: julirani
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting required fields from a test file in required fromat in unix

My data is something like shown below. date1 date2 aaa bbbb ccccc date3 date4 dddd eeeeeee ffffffffff ggggg hh I want the output like this date1date2 aaa eeeeee I serached in the forum but didn't find the exact matching solution. Please help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File formating help needed.

I have a file called vm.cfg . content of file. acpi = 1 apic = 1 builder = 'hvm' How would i write a script which will add boot = 'd' at 3rd line. For example. after running the script the file should be like below. acpi = 1 apic = 1 boot = 'd' builder = 'hvm' I dont want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in formating a txt file

Pls help in formatting a txt file using shell scripting Input file format: Name priya 2010-09-21 10:43:49 TEXT ID 1 hi TEXT ID 2 how TEXT ID 3 r TEXT ID 4 u Output required: name priya hi how r u (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bha148
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File formating with lines

Hi All, Need to modify a file basically join the extra line to one I am having a file like below And would like to make it as below . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File formating help

Hi all, I am having the file below I need that as below Thanks, Arun (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File formating

I need to create a fixed width file based on the column lengths. lets assume I have six(this may be dynamic) fields each are of different length column1=6 #size of the column column2=3 column3=2 column4=3 column5=4 column6=5 I tried below code snippet but it is not working echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvkumar25
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ... Formating the file using awk

I have a file like below position1 0 7802 7802 0 client1 - - position1 8 8032 8032 0 client1 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
7 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xzdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), or lzop(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp(1) or diff(1). If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported compression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncompressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp(1) or diff(1) is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), lzop(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2011-03-19 XZDIFF(1)