Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Weird in Shell Prompt
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Weird in Shell Prompt Post 302162937 by bobbygsk on Wednesday 30th of January 2008 06:32:10 PM
Old 01-30-2008
Weird in Shell Prompt

Hi,

I saw something in weird in Shell prompt.
I did the following steps

1) Typed ls -l and pressed ESC without entering
2) Typed "v" (please notice that I did not type "i" after "v"), which opened vi editor
3) I see the "ls -l" command that I typed in shell prompt
4) Without modifying anything or changing anything, I quit the vi editor
5) All I could see the list of files - without typing the command.

Can anyone explain about this weird behaviour.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No shell prompt?

When I login to a specific machine (running Solaris 2.8; actually serveral machines behave this way), with a known good account, I don't get any shell prompt, and no screen responses to various commands such as ID and PWD. Any ideas on what is causing this, and how to change this behavior? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mufasa
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

prompt in sh shell

Hi, I´m using SCO Unix 5.0.5 and I want to configure de variable PS1, so when I type the command: cd /etc/ the prompt shows /etc/_> Is that possible with sh shell? I´ll appreciate your help. Thanks, a Happy New Year! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diegoe
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell specific prompt

currently, I set my prompt in my .cshrc file as: set prompt = "%B%h %m %P %/ \n% " I have to use certain shells for some specific tasks and would like to set different prompts depending on the type of shell that I am using. Any advice? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dranNfly
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get rid of all the weird characters and color on bash shell

Does anyone of you know how to turn off color and weird characters on bash shell when using the command "script"? Everytime users on my server used that command to record their script, they either couldn't print it because lp kept giving the "unknown format character" messages or the print paper... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Micz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the shell prompt

Hi, I want to change the shell prompt, using the cd command. I have a shell prompt like this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)$ Now i do this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)$ cd log4j here the shell prompt should change like this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)log4j$ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
6 Replies

6. AIX

weird korn shell script

here is the one of the scripts: script1.kshfunction haha { print "calling haha" exit } script2.ksh. script1.ksh haha | tee -a /dev/null print "i am script 2" after launching the script2, the result: --------------------------------------------- calling haha i am script 2 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: getter
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird problem in my shell script,please help me!!!

sqlLogftp_mov=$LOGDIR/logftp_mov_$mydate.log sqlplus -s $ORAUSER << EOF > $sqlLogftp_mov SET SERVEROUT ON @/$SCRIPTDIR/rep_comm_ext_tbl_load.sql EOF retorno=0 cnt=`grep -q 'ORA-' $sqlLogftp_mov | wc -l` if ; then retorno=1 echo 'Failure' sendEmailFalha exit 1 fi if ; then echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamaladevi
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

share a shell script which can replace weird characters in directory or file name

I just finish the shell script . This shell can replace weird characters (such as #$%^@!'"...) in file or directory name by "_" I spent long time on replacing apostrophe in file/directory name added: 2012-03-14 the 124th line (/usr/bin/perl -i -e "s#\'#\\'#g" /tmp/rpdir_level$i.tmp) is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: begonia
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird Exit Status of shell script

I have a script named check which will read the content of a file and check wether those files exist in the current directory. If so it will have the exit status of 0, otherwise it will have 1. check script: #!/bin/bash if ; then #Check there is enough command line parameters. exit 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ray Sun
2 Replies

10. AIX

Shell Scripting (prompt off)

Dear all experts, I have a script written to compress a list of files, during compressing, some of the files are having same name. When the compressing started, the same name file will be prompted with message whether to overwrite the old file. I need to enter "y" to continue. Is there any way I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
7 Replies
WHATNOW(1)                                                           [nmh-1.5]                                                          WHATNOW(1)

NAME
whatnow - prompting front-end for sending messages SYNOPSIS
whatnow [-draftfolder +folder] [-draftmessage msg] [-nodraftfolder] [-editor editor] [-noedit] [-prompt string] [file] [-version] [-help] [-attach header-field-name] [-noattach] DESCRIPTION
Whatnow is the default program that queries the user about the disposition of a composed draft. It is normally automatically invoked by one of the nmh commands comp, dist, forw, or repl after the initial edit. When started, the editor is started on the draft (unless -noedit is given, in which case the initial edit is suppressed). Then, whatnow repetitively prompts the user with "What now?" and awaits a response. The valid responses are: edit re-edit using the same editor that was used on the preceding round unless a profile entry "<lasteditor>-next: <edi- tor>" names an alternate editor edit <editor> invoke <editor> for further editing refile +folder refile the draft into the given folder mime process the draft as MIME composition file using the buildmimeproc command (mhbuild by default) display list the message being distributed/replied-to on the terminal list list the draft on the terminal send send the message send -watch send the message and monitor the delivery process push send the message in the background whom list the addresses that the message will go to whom -check list the addresses and verify that they are acceptable to the transport service quit preserve the draft and exit quit -delete delete the draft and exit delete delete the draft and exit cd directory use the directory when interpreting attachment file names pwd print the working directory for attachment files ls [ls-options] list files in the attachment working directory using the ls command attach files add the named files to the draft as MIME attachments alist [-ln] list the MIME attachments, either short, long [-l] or numbered [-n] detach [-n] files-or-numbers remove MIME attachments, either by file name or by number with -n When entering your response, you need only type enough characters to uniquely identify the response. For the edit response, any valid switch to the editor is valid. For the send and push responses, any valid switch to send(1) is valid (as push merely invokes send with the -push option). For the whom response, any valid switch to whom(1) is valid. For the refile response, any valid switch to the fileproc is valid. For the display and list responses, any valid argument to the lproc is valid. If any non-switch arguments are present, then the pathname of the draft will be excluded from the argument list given to the lproc (this is useful for listing another nmh message). See mh-profile(5) for further information about how editors are used by nmh. It also discusses how environment variables can be used to direct whatnow's actions in complex ways. The -prompt string switch sets the prompting string for whatnow. The -draftfolder +folder and -draftmessage msg switches invoke the nmh draft folder facility. This is an advanced (and highly useful) fea- ture. Consult the mh-draft(5) man page for more information. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile <mh-dir>/draft The draft file PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Draft-Folder: To find the default draft-folder Editor: To override the default editor <lasteditor>-next: To name an editor to be used after exit from <lasteditor> automimeproc: If value is 1, and the draft is a MIME composition file, then automatically call buildmimeproc prior to sending. buildmimeproc: Program to translate MIME composition files fileproc: Program to refile the message lproc: Program to list the contents of a message sendproc: Program to use to send the message whomproc: Program to determine who a message would go to SEE ALSO
send(1), whom(1) DEFAULTS
`-prompt' defaults to "What Now? " `-attach' defaults to "Nmh-Attachment" CONTEXT
None BUGS
The argument to the -prompt switch must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes whatnow. Therefore, one must usually place the argument to this switch inside quotes. If the initial edit fails, whatnow deletes your draft (by renaming it with a site-dependent prefix (usually a comma); failure of a later edit preserves the draft. If the buildmimeproc fails (returns a nonzero status), whatnow simply prints a "What now?" prompt. whatnow depends on the buildmimeproc to tell the user that something went wrong. If whatnowproc is whatnow, then comp, dist, forw, and repl use a built-in whatnow, and do not actually run the whatnow program. Hence, if you define your own whatnowproc, don't call it whatnow since it won't be run. If sendproc is send, then whatnow uses a built-in send, it does not actually run the send program. Hence, if you define your own sendproc, don't call it send since whatnow won't run it. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 WHATNOW(1)