Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris help adding a new user/password Post 302162896 by stevie_velvet on Wednesday 30th of January 2008 03:33:21 PM
Old 01-30-2008
You will need to login as root to do this (assuming you didn't create a seperate account)

1) Command line method
# useradd <name-of-login>
# passwd <name-of-login>

2) Graphical method (Gnome\X-windows)
Look for a program call System Management Console, or SMC,
-or-
Got to managment Tools, This Computer, system Configuraton, User Accounts

Ensure you understand the above before performing a new accout creation. If in doubt, consult http://docs.sun.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------
~ ms. stevie

Solaris SCSA (v8)
Microsoft MCP
Ubuntu & Fedora on-the-way
Edit/Delete Message

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

adding a user in single user mode

Just got a solaris 8 blade 150 box with no users, only a root account. no one seems to know the password. I'd like to add one user. So I booted into single user mode via cdrom and added one. Can't seem to login using the new account, though. Here's what I'm using: # useradd -d /tmp/"user" -m... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
1 Replies

2. SCO

adding a user

In SCO Unix, where does useradd or adding a user through scoadmin (gui) pick the initial default .profile (login profile) that is put in the users home folder? In Solaris its in the /etc/skel/.profile. I would like to replace it with a custom .profile; so that it's picked automatically when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: othman
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Adding user

Hello All, New to Solaris, I added a new user by cmd " useradd -d /export/home/username -m username " but wondered when I tried to login with this new username, It doesn't automatically redirect to the user's home folder. Can anyone suggest about this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password verification verify password of a user for only first 8 characters

Helo , I m using linux pam library for user and its password authentication. I m creating new user and giving its password.I m giving password of 10 characters.now when I login in as that newly created user its ask me $ su - ram Password: You are required to change your password immediately... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Name and Password List/adding and removing users.

Hello everyone and let me start off by thanking anyone who can help with this. I work for a company that uses Unix as one of their servers. I'm not at all familar with Unix beyond logging after I restart the server:rolleyes: I'm looking for some command that will bring me up a list of current... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: disgracedsaint
3 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

adding second password to preference or an app

Hi I am new to forum and glad I found this place. I have been searching for a way to add a secondary password to a preference pane such as date/time in Unix (Ox10.4.11) or to lock an application which I found a backdoor for access when password is not available. An app I use is a internet... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: botchagalou
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Password query even after adding public key

Dears I am running a shell script to backup (transfer) files to a networked External HDD. Even though the public key has been added it still asks for the password before starting the transfer. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrownBob
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to scp File from root user in one server to say crt user in another server and avoid password?

Can someone help in writing some script through which I can transfer file (scp) from root user in abc server to crt user in hfg server and can give the crt user password in script itself so that it doesn't prompt me every time for password (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moon1234
4 Replies
dsenableroot(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   dsenableroot(8)

NAME
dsenableroot -- enables or disables the root account. SYNOPSIS
dsenableroot [-d] [-u username] [-p password] [-r rootPassword] DESCRIPTION
dsenableroot sets the password for the root account if enabling the root user account. Otherwise, if disable [-d] is chosen, the root account passwords are removed and the root user is disabled. A list of flags and their descriptions: -u username Username of a user that has administrative privileges on this computer. -p password Password to use in conjunction with the specified username. If this is not specified, you will be prompted for entry. -r rootPassword Password to be used for the root account. If this is not specified for enabling, you will be prompted for entry. EXAMPLES
-dsenableroot Your username will be used and you will be queried for both your password and the new root password to be set to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d Your username will be used and you will be queried for only your password to disable the root account. -dsenableroot -u username -p userpassword -r rootpassword The supplied arguments will be used to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d -u username -p userpassword The supplied arguments will be used to disable the root account. Mac OS August 08 2003 Mac OS