Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ARP Req Pkt
Special Forums IP Networking ARP Req Pkt Post 302162813 by sysgate on Wednesday 30th of January 2008 08:00:21 AM
Old 01-30-2008
In short, the answer is No. ARP request packet contains the source MAC address, the source IP address and the destination IP address. Each host in the local network receives this packet. The host with the specified destination IP address, sends an ARP reply packet to the originating host with its IP address.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Req:Advanced kernel bible

Hi I am looking out for a book which will help admins to fine tune kernel & know in & out of it.. (Linux or Solaris.) Can anyone suggest me a gud book. thanks gokul. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gokulagiridaran
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Suggestions Req

Hi all, I have worked on HP UNIX and now i have moved to SunSolaris which i never used to work. I am more on programming side like shell and perl scripting. So i want to know from you experts that i need to take care or changes which i code in sun solaris in compared to HP unix. Suggestions... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Req on how to convert hex numbers to decimals

Hi, If i have an input as c1:41 c2:0x0000.00046b3e I want to make output display as c1:41 c2:224062 . Basically convert first part 0x0000 (as hex) to decimal which is 0 and convert second part 0x00046b3e (as hex) to decimal which is 289598 and as such add both parts namely... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hare
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Req the mail send from unix script

Hi , I want to send mail in my script when i am not a super user. Can some one help me on that .. Regards, Balamani (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balamani
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

(Req)Shell script req

HI All Im new to shell scripting...kindly plz help me... I need a shell script for: We have to take export of all db's on daily basis from all svr's and keep these export backups on diffrent server. Plz help. Regards Gaurav (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergauravtaneja
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[REQ] Automatic script kill process

HI, I'm using CentOS 5.1 x86_64, CPanel .. a lot of my users used too much resource, i want to write a script to kill all of them. Eg: LFD always notify me: Time: Sun Apr 27 07:40:08 2008 Account: xxxx (my user) Resource: Virtual Memory Size Exceeded: 110 > 100 (MB)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onisoc
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent help req with grep + sed

HI all, i have a line in a file it cantains one;two_1_10;two_2_10;two_3_10;three~ now i need to get the output as one;two_1_abc_10;two_2_abc_10;two_3_abc_10;three~ ( 1 should be replaced with 1_abc for two__10 , and one more thing the number of occurances of two_value_10 will be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2001.arun
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Req help on writing shell script

My script needs user input within time period of 1 min or may be with within 30 sec. Flow diagram: if (user provides input within 1 min) then script runs on the basis of user input else script runs on the basis of default input(hard coded in the script) .Any help in this script is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvr_satya
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Help req for Patching on Solaris 10 Zones

Hi Experts, Can advise on this: Global zone running on solaris 10, & the local zones on top running on solaris 9, but we need to patch the solaris 9 local zones & also the solaris 10 global zone. Which should be patched first to avoid any crash in case, first local zones... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fizan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file - custom req.

Hello everybody, I have a file to split in a bit different way. My file looks like this: My_file.dat 123333333|01|38|440X|P 384747382|32|31|440X|P 320384743|32|54|420Y|I 843739349|12|43|420Y|I I need to split it into: MYFILE_440X_P.dat 123333333|01|38 384747382|32|31 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bijou
3 Replies
arp(1M)                                                   System Administration Commands                                                   arp(1M)

NAME
arp - address resolution display and control SYNOPSIS
arp hostname arp -a [-n] arp -d hostname arp -f filename arp -s hostname ether_address [temp] [pub] [trail] DESCRIPTION
The arp program displays and modifies the Internet-to-MAC address translation tables used by the address resolution protocol (see arp(7P)). With no flags, the program displays the current ARP entry for hostname. The host may be specified by name or by number, using Internet dot notation. OPTIONS
-a Display all of the current ARP entries. The definition for the flags in the table are: M Mapping; only used for the multicast entry for 224.0.0.0 P Publish; includes IP address for the machine and the addresses that have explicitly been added by the -s option. ARP will respond to ARP requests for this address. S Static; not learned for the ARP protocol. U Unresolved; waiting for ARP response. You can use the -n option with the -a option to disable the automatic numeric IP address-to-name translation. Use arp -an or arp -na to display numeric IP addresses. -d Delete an entry for the host called hostname. This option may only be used by the super-user. -f Read the file named filename and set multiple entries in the ARP tables. Entries in the file should be of the form: hostname MACaddress [temp] [pub] [trail] See the -s option for argument definitions. -s Create an ARP entry for the host called hostname with the MAC address MACaddress. For example, an Ethernet address is given as six hexadecimal bytes separated by colons. The entry will be permanent unless the word temp is given in the command. If the word pub is given, the entry will be published. For instance, this system will respond to ARP requests for hostname even though the hostname is not its own. The word trail indicates that trailer encapsulations may be sent to this host. arp -s can be used for a limited form of proxy ARP when a host on one of the directly attached networks is not physically present on the subnet. Another machine can then be configured to respond to ARP requests using arp -s. This is useful in certain SLIP configurations. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), arp(7P), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 7 Mar 2003 arp(1M)