Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: hp ux not sending mail
Operating Systems HP-UX hp ux not sending mail Post 302162630 by vbe on Tuesday 29th of January 2008 01:25:47 PM
Old 01-29-2008
Is the mailer daemon running, and has it been configured? man sendmail...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending a mail to a mail client

Hi everyone! I'm trying to create a database monitoring script that reads an alert file and sends an error message if it can 'grep' a particular string. Is there a way to send this message to a mail client using SMTP? Even better, is there any place on this site that has these kinds of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris73
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sending mail

How do I send an email with a subject and an attachment from a command prompt? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskarica
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail sending

Dear all, how can i send mail using mailx or mail command?do i need to configure anything for sending mail?please help me.Its urgent. the version i use is Linux TDM 2.4.21-4.EL #1 Fri Oct 3 18:13:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux Thanks Regards, Pankaj (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: panknil
15 Replies

4. Ubuntu

help sending mail

Hi, I have kubuntu 8.10 and I would like to configure Ubuntu to can send mail from command line with mailx. I've saw that I need to install a MTA. But I don't know with install and how. Do you know some howto or url where I find how could I configure it? Many thanks and sorry for my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mierdatuti
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending mail

i want to send an email from the unix machine to the windows machine. now windows dont have any specified folder for the mail. mail has to be sent to the email-id like abc@xyz.com unix machine itself can not directly send mail. it has to be transferred via mail server. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: parmeet
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending mail

Hi there, How can I send the automated log file, daily at 7 am to the respective mail . Thanks in Advance, Neha (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NehaKrish
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop sending mail after certain number of mail

Hi guys... I am busy writing a script to notify me via an mail if my application is down. I have done that. Now I want this script to stop sending mails after five mails were sent but the script should keep on checking the application. When the application is up again that count should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending Mail

Hi All, I have a script that looks like this: *********** #!/bin/sh -x cd /u01/app/oracle/diag/rdbms/spdb/spdb/trace cat alert_spdb.log|grep Archiver >/dev/null if ; then mailx -s "Archiver message in Alert log" user@email.com fi ************ Im using the -x option to see any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oradba888
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mail

How can i send a mail when user login in unix ENV. How can i know present use mailID?? Moved out of Contact Us Forum - Please Do Not Post Technical Questions in Non-Technical Forum(s) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arun508.gatike
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Problems sending mail: Difference between Mail and Mailx?

Whats the difference between mail and mailx? I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem where I can send mail from server A with this `echo $MESSAGE | mail -s "$SUBJECT" -r $FROM $RECIPIENTS` command but executing the same command from server B throws me this error (Both servers are RHEL) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
1 Replies
MAILWRAPPER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    MAILWRAPPER(8)

NAME
mailwrapper -- invoke appropriate MTA software based on configuration file SYNOPSIS
Special. See below. DESCRIPTION
At one time, the only Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) software easily available was sendmail(8). As a result of this, most Mail User Agents (MUAs) such as mail(1) had the path and calling conventions expected by sendmail(8) compiled in. Times have changed, however. On a modern UNIX system, the administrator may wish to use one of several available MTAs. It would be difficult to modify all MUA software typically available on a system, so most of the authors of alternative MTAs have written their front end message submission programs so that they use the same calling conventions as sendmail(8) and may be put into place instead of sendmail(8) in /usr/sbin/sendmail. sendmail(8) also typically has aliases named mailq(1) and newaliases(1) linked to it. The program knows to behave differently when its argv[0] is ``mailq'' or ``newaliases'' and behaves appropriately. Typically, replacement MTAs provide similar functionality, either through a program that also switches behavior based on calling name, or through a set of programs that provide similar functionality. Although having drop-in replacements for sendmail(8) helps in installing alternative MTAs, it essentially makes the configuration of the sys- tem depend on hand installing new programs in /usr. This leads to configuration problems for many administrators, since they may wish to install a new MTA without altering the system provided /usr. (This may be, for example, to avoid having upgrade problems when a new version of the system is installed over the old.) They may also have a shared /usr among several machines, and may wish to avoid placing implicit configuration information in a read-only /usr. The mailwrapper utility is designed to replace /usr/sbin/sendmail and to invoke an appropriate MTA instead of sendmail(8) based on configura- tion information placed in ${LOCALBASE}/etc/mail/mailer.conf falling back on /etc/mail/mailer.conf. This permits the administrator to con- figure which MTA is to be invoked on the system at run time. Other configuration files may need to be altered when replacing sendmail(8). For example, if the replacement MTA does not support the -A option with mailq(1), daily_status_include_submit_mailq should be turned off in /etc/periodic.conf. FILES
Configuration for mailwrapper is kept in ${LOCALBASE}/etc/mail/mailer.conf or /etc/mail/mailer.conf. /usr/sbin/sendmail is typically set up as a symbolic link to mailwrapper which is not usually invoked on its own. EXIT STATUS
The mailwrapper utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. DIAGNOSTICS
The mailwrapper will print a diagnostic if its configuration file is missing or malformed, or does not contain a mapping for the name under which it was invoked. SEE ALSO
mail(1), mailq(1), newaliases(1), mailer.conf(5), periodic.conf(5), sendmail(8) HISTORY
The mailwrapper utility first appeared in NetBSD 1.4 and then FreeBSD 4.0. AUTHORS
Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com> BUGS
The entire reason this program exists is a crock. Instead, a command for how to submit mail should be standardized, and all the "behave dif- ferently if invoked with a different name" behavior of things like mailq(1) should go away. BSD
August 27, 2014 BSD