Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: top and nice
Operating Systems HP-UX top and nice Post 302162559 by vbe on Tuesday 29th of January 2008 09:59:01 AM
Old 01-29-2008
And so, what was the difference?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Very Nice

Just a quick message to say great work to Neo and any others who have helped with the upgrade - the layout, appearance and functionality of this forum ROCKS. By far the best I have seen. Excellent! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Can I Have Top Display The Top 20 Processes??

how can i do that in a script withough havin the script halt at the section where the top command is located. am writign a script that will send me the out put of unx commands if the load average of a machine goes beyond the recommended number. top -n 20 i want to save this output to a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Top output] NICE % high ?

Hi, I've got some CPU bottleneck on a HP-UX 11 server : i didn't understand it until i discover i've got an unusual high percentage of NICE% CPU regarding my DBRMS process (Sybase 12.x). How do i have to understand it and how to resolve it ? Thx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliador2001
0 Replies

4. Programming

nice command and nice() system call

Hi I want to implement the nice command in the shell that I am building. I came to know that there is a corresponding nice() system call for the same. But since I will be forking different processes to run different commands typed on the command prompt, is there any way I can make a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejbuch
2 Replies

5. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

6. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Top cmd showing NICE value 97% -what to tune?

Running 2 VM Guests on an HPUX Integrity Server. One Guest runs great, the other is always at a high NICE value and 0% idle as shown in TOP: What do you think should be tuned to bring down the NICE and increase IDLE %? Thanks in advance -hpuxadmin slow VM GUEST Load averages: 2.56,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpuxadmin
5 Replies

8. AIX

nice and renice

hello , We would like to increase the priority of the oracle process . Process(240001 ) should get the priority like the process(240103 ). Am not sure what value i should mention in the renice command(aix 6.1). Please assist me. 240001 A oracle 26804312 1 0 60 20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
2 Replies

9. BSD

Very high nice percentage in top command

Hello Folks, Recently our FreeBSD 7.1 i386 system became very sluggish. Nothing much is happening over there & whatever is running takes eternity to complete. All the troubleshooting hinted towards a very high nice percentage. Can that be the culprit? Pasting snippets of top command,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

A nice YT video on A.I

Hello All, Just went through a nice YT video of A.I Age of A.I YT video See who is the host of this video :) if you are a Hollywood fan(a bit spoiler) I hope to learn something of it someday, technology is really growing day by day, cheers. Thanks, R. Singh (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
8 Replies
NICE(2) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   NICE(2)

NAME
nice - change process priority SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int nice(int inc); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): nice(): _BSD_SOURCE || _SVID_SOURCE || _XOPEN_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
nice() adds inc to the nice value for the calling process. (A higher nice value means a low priority.) Only the superuser may specify a negative increment, or priority increase. The range for nice values is described in getpriority(2). RETURN VALUE
On success, the new nice value is returned (but see NOTES below). On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EPERM The calling process attempted to increase its priority by supplying a negative inc but has insufficient privileges. Under Linux the CAP_SYS_NICE capability is required. (But see the discussion of the RLIMIT_NICE resource limit in setrlimit(2).) CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001. However, the Linux and (g)libc (earlier than glibc 2.2.4) return value is nonstandard, see below. SVr4 docu- ments an additional EINVAL error code. NOTES
SUSv2 and POSIX.1-2001 specify that nice() should return the new nice value. However, the Linux syscall and the nice() library function provided in older versions of (g)libc (earlier than glibc 2.2.4) return 0 on success. The new nice value can be found using getprior- ity(2). Since glibc 2.2.4, nice() is implemented as a library function that calls getpriority(2) to obtain the new nice value to be returned to the caller. With this implementation, a successful call can legitimately return -1. To reliably detect an error, set errno to 0 before the call, and check its value when nice() returns -1. SEE ALSO
nice(1), fork(2), getpriority(2), setpriority(2), capabilities(7), renice(1) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2007-07-26 NICE(2)