Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: top and nice
Operating Systems HP-UX top and nice Post 302162559 by vbe on Tuesday 29th of January 2008 09:59:01 AM
Old 01-29-2008
And so, what was the difference?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Very Nice

Just a quick message to say great work to Neo and any others who have helped with the upgrade - the layout, appearance and functionality of this forum ROCKS. By far the best I have seen. Excellent! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Can I Have Top Display The Top 20 Processes??

how can i do that in a script withough havin the script halt at the section where the top command is located. am writign a script that will send me the out put of unx commands if the load average of a machine goes beyond the recommended number. top -n 20 i want to save this output to a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Top output] NICE % high ?

Hi, I've got some CPU bottleneck on a HP-UX 11 server : i didn't understand it until i discover i've got an unusual high percentage of NICE% CPU regarding my DBRMS process (Sybase 12.x). How do i have to understand it and how to resolve it ? Thx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliador2001
0 Replies

4. Programming

nice command and nice() system call

Hi I want to implement the nice command in the shell that I am building. I came to know that there is a corresponding nice() system call for the same. But since I will be forking different processes to run different commands typed on the command prompt, is there any way I can make a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejbuch
2 Replies

5. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

6. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Top cmd showing NICE value 97% -what to tune?

Running 2 VM Guests on an HPUX Integrity Server. One Guest runs great, the other is always at a high NICE value and 0% idle as shown in TOP: What do you think should be tuned to bring down the NICE and increase IDLE %? Thanks in advance -hpuxadmin slow VM GUEST Load averages: 2.56,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpuxadmin
5 Replies

8. AIX

nice and renice

hello , We would like to increase the priority of the oracle process . Process(240001 ) should get the priority like the process(240103 ). Am not sure what value i should mention in the renice command(aix 6.1). Please assist me. 240001 A oracle 26804312 1 0 60 20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
2 Replies

9. BSD

Very high nice percentage in top command

Hello Folks, Recently our FreeBSD 7.1 i386 system became very sluggish. Nothing much is happening over there & whatever is running takes eternity to complete. All the troubleshooting hinted towards a very high nice percentage. Can that be the culprit? Pasting snippets of top command,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

A nice YT video on A.I

Hello All, Just went through a nice YT video of A.I Age of A.I YT video See who is the host of this video :) if you are a Hollywood fan(a bit spoiler) I hope to learn something of it someday, technology is really growing day by day, cheers. Thanks, R. Singh (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
8 Replies
NICE(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   NICE(1)

NAME
nice -- execute a utility with an altered scheduling priority SYNOPSIS
nice [-n increment] utility [argument ...] DESCRIPTION
nice runs utility at an altered scheduling priority. If an increment is given, it is used; otherwise an increment of 10 is assumed. The super-user can run utilities with priorities higher than normal by using a negative increment. The priority can be adjusted over a range of -20 (the highest) to 20 (the lowest). A priority of 19 or 20 will prevent a process from taking any cycles from others at nice 0 or better. Available options: -n increment A positive or negative decimal integer used to modify the system scheduling priority of utility. EXIT STATUS
The nice utility exits with one of the following values: 1-125 An error occurred in the nice utility. 126 The utility was found but could not be invoked. 127 The utility could not be found. Otherwise, the exit status of nice will be that of utility. COMPATIBILITY
The historic -increment option has been deprecated but is still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
csh(1), getpriority(2), setpriority(2), renice(8) STANDARDS
The nice utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A nice utility appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
nice is built into csh(1) with a slightly different syntax than described here. The form 'nice +10' nices to positive nice, and 'nice -10' can be used by the super-user to give a process more of the processor. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD