Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I insert character to end of file? Post 302162508 by Yogesh Sawant on Tuesday 29th of January 2008 06:47:49 AM
Old 01-29-2008
is this what you want:
Code:
echo hooray one liner >> file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit and insert character in a text file

Hello All, Can somebody please help me how to accomplish the following : I have a text file called data.txt that has the following information : M|88494-998494 M|98jd#0094 M|88394-994049 M|GFG9980#009944 and so on... I need to replace the value of M to either "S" or "X"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: negixx
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete a character at the end of a file.

I am having a file which has data like this:- 1,2,3,4,5, But I need to remove the last comma from this file. So the data should be like 1,2,3,4,5 The command I tried was temp=`cat ${FileName}.txt` len=`awk '{print length($0)}' ${FileName}.txt` len=`expr $len - 1` ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rony_daniel
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a string at the end of a file read

Hi, This thread is an extension of the post I posted in another folder for Unix Dummies. I am actually trying to read all the files in a folder, let say folder A. There are alot of .txt files in this folder where I have sed them and translate to numeric elements. For example:- I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert two strings at the beginning and at the end of each line of a file

Hi, excuse me for my poor english. My problem is that: I have a File i want to add to each line of that file two strings: one at the beginning of the line, one at the ending. string1="abcd" string2="efgh" i want $string1 content $string2 for each line. Is that possible? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux-fueled
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character in a specific position of a file

Hi, I need to add Pipe (|) at 5th and 18th position of all records a file. How can I do this? I tried to add it at 5th position using the below code. It didnt work. Please help!!! awk '{substr($0,5,1) ~ /|/}{print}' $input_file > $temp_file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

add character to every end-of line in file

Hi All I have a file which conatins record.the length of every records is 47. problem : in the end of record i don't have a "\015" character. i want to add this "\015" charcter in the end of every record. the file contains something like 700 records. i've tried with sed command - nothing. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove new line character at end of file.

I need to remove new line character from end of file. Suppose here are content. a|b|c|d|r a|b|c|d|r a|b|c|d|r <new line> that means file contains 4 lines but data is there in 3 lines. so I want that only 3 lines should be there in file. Please help (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun940
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add newline character at end of file?

Hi All, I have following piece of code in UNIX C Shell script and I want to add one more command which can add newline at the end of file only if there is no newline character exists. foreach file (`ls $dd_PLAYCARD_EDI_IN`) if ( -f $dd_PLAYCARD_EDI_IN/${file} ) then cat -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character at specific location in a each line of the file

Hi All, I am trying to write a shell script where it should insert character 'I' in 180th position of each line(except first and last line) of the file. Below is the script for file in /home/test/bharat/*.RET do # Process file echo "File Name=" $file #l_fileName="${file##*/}" ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath561989
19 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use sed to insert character in the beginning of file path?

I need to manipulate one Database file on Solaris 11 in which contains more than 5000 lines of data file path like this: '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/system01.dbf', '/data7/oradata/DBNAME/undotbs1_01.dbf', '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/sysaux01.dbf', '/data28/oradata/DBNAME/userdata01.dbf', ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
6 Replies
curs_insch(3X)															    curs_insch(3X)

NAME
insch, winsch, mvinsch, mvwinsch - insert a character before cursor in a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int insch(chtype ch); int winsch(WINDOW *win, chtype ch); int mvinsch(int y, int x, chtype ch); int mvwinsch(WINDOW *win, int y, int x, chtype ch); DESCRIPTION
These routines insert the character ch before the character under the cursor. All characters to the right of the cursor are moved one space to the right, with the possibility of the rightmost character on the line being lost. The insertion operation does not change the cursor position. RETURN VALUE
All routines that return an integer return ERR upon failure and OK (SVr4 specifies only "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful completion, unless otherwise noted in the preceding routine descriptions. NOTES
These routines do not necessarily imply use of a hardware insert character feature. Note that insch, mvinsch, and mvwinsch may be macros. PORTABILITY
These functions are described in the XSI Curses standard, Issue 4. SEE ALSO
curses(3X). Comparable functions in the wide-character (ncursesw) library are described in curs_ins_wch(3X). curs_insch(3X)