Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Which Unix/Linux to start using? Post 302162288 by dangral on Monday 28th of January 2008 03:22:28 PM
Old 01-28-2008
The "newbie" friendly distributions, in my opinion, are:

1) Liunx --> Ubuntu Linux
2) Unix --> Solaris or OpenSolaris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to start using unix

this is probably the dumbest question but it must be asked: how can i go about getting into unix? what would be a good first unix system? where can i get it? how much will it cost me? what can i do with unix? i currently use a mac at home and a win2000 pro system at work, what is better... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aeser
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is Linux 7.2 Redhat a good start for a newbie

Never used UNIX before. Is Linux redhat 7.2 a good start? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: derek
6 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How can i get start both sco unix and turbo linux?

I think and believe that i could start both the two OS from HardDisk until i installed Turbo Linux after the SCO unix . If I do anything ,Ican only start Turbo,but if i run "fdisk /mbr",the SCO unix can normally start,but the Turbo Linux could not start with unless you insert the bootdisket,which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sensir163
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

YO help me out with unix were do I start...

My friend told me all about this Unix program I want to know were to start out and what to do with this unix program. Really anxious to learn anything about unix.cya hope you guys read this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shinobikil
3 Replies

5. Slackware

Help me to start with LInux!!

I am a newbie in Linux world. But i really like it for its "open source".But I do not know how to start with it. My attention is to study the kernel of linux and the way it runs. Please help me! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngomanhha
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to cheaply build my own Linux/Unix PC, but don't know where to start

I want to cheaply build my own PC that will run the latest versions of Linspire, Fedora Core, FreeBSD and Solaris, but I don't know where to start. This PC doesn't have to be particulary fast. It's video performance need not be top notch, however, sound quality and sound performance must rock!... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Nice Guy
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learning Unix/Linux from the Start?

I was wondering if someone could tell me where I could learn everything about Unix/Linux and I was also wondering what the differance between Unix and Linux was :confused: Ive never used it, never seen it.. But Im interested in learning :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vallzi
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what should i start-unix or linux

actually m interested in learning unix/linux. should i go for unix or linux and from where will i get the software for these. anyone knowing please help me. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushilgroversp
7 Replies

9. Programming

How to start a process in linux using C program??

I have a set of attributes such as group id,group name,etc related to a linux process. Iwant to know how to start a process in linux using C program.Plz do help me. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Want to start with Linux...

I am skilled developer of shell scripting in the AIX platform. Very recently, I have replaced my old CPU with latest. As the old CPU do not have any value in the market, instead of letting it scap through, wondering, if I could use the same with installation of Linux OS, so I can try out Ubuntu,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
0 Replies
LIBC(7) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   LIBC(7)

NAME
libc - overview of standard C libraries on Linux DESCRIPTION
The term "libc" is commonly used as a shorthand for the "standard C library", a library of standard functions that can be used by all C programs (and sometimes by programs in other languages). Because of some history (see below), use of the term "libc" to refer to the stan- dard C library is somewhat ambiguous on Linux. glibc By far the most widely used C library on Linux is the GNU C Library <http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/>, often referred to as glibc. This is the C library that is nowadays used in all major Linux distributions. It is also the C library whose details are documented in the rel- evant pages of the man-pages project (primarily in Section 3 of the manual). Documentation of glibc is also available in the glibc manual, available via the command info libc. Release 1.0 of glibc was made in September 1992. (There were earlier 0.x releases.) The next major release of glibc was 2.0, at the beginning of 1997. The pathname /lib/libc.so.6 (or something similar) is normally a symbolic link that points to the location of the glibc library, and exe- cuting this pathname will cause glibc to display various information about the version installed on your system. Linux libc In the early to mid 1990s, there was for a while Linux libc, a fork of glibc 1.x created by Linux developers who felt that glibc develop- ment at the time was not sufficing for the needs of Linux. Often, this library was referred to (ambiguously) as just "libc". Linux libc released major versions 2, 3, 4, and 5 (as well as many minor versions of those releases). For a while, Linux libc was the standard C library in many Linux distributions. However, notwithstanding the original motivations of the Linux libc effort, by the time glibc 2.0 was released, it was clearly superior to Linux libc, and all major Linux distributions that had been using Linux libc soon switched back to glibc. (Since this switch occurred over a decade ago, man-pages no longer takes care to document Linux libc details. Nevertheless, the history is visible in vestiges of information about Linux libc that remain in some manual pages, in particular, references to libc4 and libc5.) Other C libraries There are various other less widely used C libraries for Linux. These libraries are generally smaller than glibc, both in terms of fea- tures and memory footprint, and often intended for building small binaries, perhaps targeted at development for embedded Linux systems. Among such libraries are uClibc (http://www.uclibc.org/) and dietlibc (http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc/). Details of these libraries are gen- erally not covered by the man-pages project. SEE ALSO
syscalls(2), feature_test_macros(7), man-pages(7), standards(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-08-05 LIBC(7)