Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merging files with AWK filtering and counting lines Post 302162231 by Meert on Monday 28th of January 2008 10:58:34 AM
Old 01-28-2008
Thank you very much, works like a charm! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting lines and files

Hi experts, First of all thanks for all your help. How can i count the lines within a text file and send this number to another text file? And by the way how can i count the number of files inside a tape ("/dev/rtp") that as one pattern (Ex. "/CTA/") and send this number to a text file? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorge.ferreira
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging lines using AWK

Hi, Anybody help on this. :( I want to merge the line with previous line, if the line starts with 7. Otherwise No change in the line. Example file aa.txt is like below 122122 222222 333333 734834 702923 389898 790909 712345 999999 My output should be written in another file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Counting number of similar lines

Hi All I have the input file OMAK_11. OMAK 000002EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000002EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000002EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000003EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000003EXCLUDE 1341 OMAK 000003EXCLUDE ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk counting lines with field match

Hi, Im trying to create a script that reads throught every line in a file and then counts how many lines there with a certain field that matches a input, and also ausing another awk it has to do the same as the above but to then use sort anduniq to get rid of all the unique lines with another... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredted40x
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines of code in a directory with awk

I've never toyed with awk, but it seems every time I present an elegant 2- to 8-line script, someone comes back with an awk 1-liner. I just came up with this to count all the lines of source code in a directory. How would I do it in awk? LINES=0 for n in $(wc -l *.cpp *.h | cut -b-7); do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenJackson
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging two .txt files by alternating x lines from file 1 and y lines from file2

Hi everyone, I have two files (A and B) and want to combine them to one by always taking 10 rows from file A and subsequently 6 lines from file B. This process shall be repeated 40 times (file A = 400 lines; file B = 240 lines). Does anybody have an idea how to do that using perl, awk or sed?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ink_LE
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/sed : help on:Filtering multiple lines to one:

Experts Good day, I want to filter multiple lines of same error of same day , to only 1 error of each day, the first line from the log. Here is the file: May 26 11:29:19 cmihpx02 vmunix: NFS write failed for server cmiauxe1: error 5 (RPC: Timed out) May 26 11:29:19 cmihpx02 vmunix: NFS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines in a file using awk

I want to count lines of a file using AWK (only) and not in the END part like this awk 'END{print FNR}' because I want to use it. Does anyone know of a way? Thanks a lot. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarist684
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging multiple lines to columns with awk, while inserting commas for missing lines

Hello all, I have a large csv file where there are four types of rows I need to merge into one row per person, where there is a column for each possible code / type of row, even if that code/row isn't there for that person. In the csv, a person may be listed from one to four times... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RalphNY
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Merging two lines into one (awk)

Hi, I am attempting to merge the following lines which run over two lines using awk. INITIAL OUTPUT 2019 Sep 28 10:47:24.695 hkaet9612 last message repeated 1 time 2019 Sep 28 10:47:24.695 hkaet9612 %ETHPORT-5-IF_DOWN_INTERFACE_REMOVED: Interfa ce Ethernet1/45 is down (Interface removed)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
10 Replies
MERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MERGE(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
merge [ options ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
merge incorporates all changes that lead from file2 to file3 into file1. The result ordinarily goes into file1. merge is useful for com- bining separate changes to an original. Suppose file2 is the original, and both file1 and file3 are modifications of file2. Then merge combines both changes. A conflict occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in a common segment of lines. If a conflict is found, merge normally outputs a warning and brackets the conflict with <<<<<<< and >>>>>>> lines. A typical conflict will look like this: <<<<<<< file A lines in file A ======= lines in file B >>>>>>> file B If there are conflicts, the user should edit the result and delete one of the alternatives. OPTIONS
-A Output conflicts using the -A style of diff3(1), if supported by diff3. This merges all changes leading from file2 to file3 into file1, and generates the most verbose output. -E, -e These options specify conflict styles that generate less information than -A. See diff3(1) for details. The default is -E. With -e, merge does not warn about conflicts. -L label This option may be given up to three times, and specifies labels to be used in place of the corresponding file names in conflict reports. That is, merge -L x -L y -L z a b c generates output that looks like it came from files x, y and z instead of from files a, b and c. -p Send results to standard output instead of overwriting file1. -q Quiet; do not warn about conflicts. -V Print RCS's version number. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no conflicts, 1 for some conflicts, 2 for trouble. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Manual Page Revision: 1999-08-27; Release Date: 23:37:10Z. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 Walter F. Tichy. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 Paul Eggert. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). BUGS
It normally does not make sense to merge binary files as if they were text, but merge tries to do it anyway. GNU
23:37:10Z MERGE(1)