Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to create file from shell scripting Post 302162163 by KittyWu on Monday 28th of January 2008 07:34:05 AM
Old 01-28-2008
Hi,

the 'printf' primitive allows you to assign or display a formatted string.

It can be used this way:
#-----------------------------------------------------
typeset LP_FILE=${HOME}/tmp/test.txt

# Variables for test
typeset VAR1_VALUE='12345678'
typeset VAR2_VALUE='ABCDEF'

# Remove the target file if any
rm -f ${LP_FILE}

# Dump the data values to the file
printf "%-10s" ${VAR1_VALUE} >> ${LP_FILE}
printf "%-8s" ${VAR2_VALUE} >> ${LP_FILE}
# Add '\n' if you want a newline character: printf "%-8s\n"

# Display the results
echo "*** [BEGIN] '${LP_FILE}' file content"
cat ${LP_FILE}
echo "*** [END] '${LP_FILE}' file content"
#-----------------------------------------------------

Hope it helps,
C.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read words from file and create new file using K-shell.

Hi All, Please help me in creating files through K-shell scripts. I am having one file in this format. OWNER.TABLE_NAME OWNER.TABLE_NAME1 OWNER1.TABLE_NAME OWNER1.TABLE_NAME1 I want to read the above file and create new file through k shell script. The new file should looks like this.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsrajirs
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create file in ksh scripting with permission(rw-rw-rw)

Hi, Please provide your inputs.. Thanks in Advance, Mansa (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansa
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a table using shell scripting

Hi Can we create a rectangular table as i have attached in the query . This is primarily for populating the created table with data gathered . Hope I made myself clear ... Pls suggest Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create shell script to extract unique information from one file to a new file.

Hi to all, I got this content/pattern from file http.log.20110808.gz mail1 httpd: Account Notice: close igchung@abc.com 2011/8/7 7:37:36 0:00:03 0 0 1 mail1 httpd: Account Information: login sastria9@abc.com proxy sid=gFp4DLm5HnU mail1 httpd: Account Notice: close sastria9@abc.com... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_47
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting - need to arrange the columns from multiple file into a single file

Hi friends please help me on below, i have 5 files like below file1 is x 10 y 20 z 15 file2 is x 100 z 245 file3 is y 78 z 23 file4 is x 100 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva kumar
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create file from script shell

Hello all :) Here is my code i try to complete: address1="$(ssh root@$machine -x "lxc-info -n $machine-worker1 -H -i")" if //ifthe file addrfile does not exist then create the file addrfile echo "$address1">"$addrfile" fi "$address1">"$addrfile" How, can i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read csv file, convert the data and make one text file in UNIX shell scripting

I have input data looks like this which is a part of a csv file 7,1265,76548,"0102:04" 8,1266,76545,"0112:04" I need to make the output data should look like this and the output data will be part of text file: 7|1265000 |7654899 |A| 8|12660000 |76545999 |B| The logic behind the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJG
6 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)