Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users find command from a shell script Post 302162137 by kodermanna on Monday 28th of January 2008 05:37:47 AM
Old 01-28-2008
find didn't work eventhough no shell script error

Sumit, sorry to bother you. Eventhough the scripts works without any complaint, the find command really doesn't find the required files. If you get some time please can you have another look. I tried putting \ before the meta characters, but then it gives error while running the scripts.
You may touch or create those files in a directory to test it.

Thanks once again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with find command in C-shell

when i use the following command find / -name '*.*' -exec grep -il 'text' {} \; I can redirect the errors to /dev/null. This happens only in ksh but not in csh. the 2>/dev/null is not working in csh. Can you some one suggest an alternative for this in csh ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script 'find' command

I have a script that has the following command: find /home/user -name test.dat The script works as desired when running normally. However, when I run the script preceding it with 'sh', it fails. Is there something I need to account for when preceding the execution of the script with 'sh'? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bsavitch
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to find whether shell command is available

I am running shell scripts on windows using Cygwin tool. In my shell scripts, i want to add an error check, that verify whether a certain command is available or not. For example if SED comamnd is not available in Cygwin, then it should exit with error message. How do i write such shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmunir
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command in Korn Shell

Hi, I am trying to execute the below in Ksh (telnet) find ./request.txt -mmin -30 It says find: bad option -mmin What i am trying to do is by using find command i am checking wheather the file request.txt is there for 30 minutes or not Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinniforu2003
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command in shell script

Hi, dirs.conf fine contains below data /a/b/c/dir1|50 /a/b/c/dir2|50 /a/b/c/dir3|50 In a shell script I do as below while read file_rec do dir_name=`echo "${file_rec}" | cut -d "|" -f 1` purge_days=`echo "${file_rec}" | cut -d "|" -f 2` if then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: icefish
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command in Shell Script

hi I am a newbee in Shell scripting (hardly 7 days) I have to execute a shell script which looks like this #!/bin/sh var1=`date +"%Y%m%d"` echo $var1 find . -name "$var1*" -exec mv {} Delete/ \; the find command in the script is running independently but when kept in this script it is... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweetnsourabh
24 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command in shell script doesn't work

Hello all, Something strange going on with a shell script I'm writing. It's trying to write a list of files that it finds in a given directory to another file. But I also have a skip list so matching files that are in that skip list should be, well uhm, skipped :) Here's the code of my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: StijnV
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command in shell script

Hi all, Please i need an explanation for the following statements ref_file=/tmp/cleanfiles export ref_file touch `TZ=WAT+2 date "+%Y%m%d%H%M"` $ref_file find . ! -name . -prune -type f ! -newer $ref_file -exec store_file.sh {} \; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anish_1982
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Find command doesn't return in shell script.

Hi All, I am using below snippet to search for a string (read from a file 'searchstring.out') in all locations (/) and then iterate over the files found to write the locations and the respective owner to an output file. However, this doesn't work as I believe the find command doesn't exit's... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vipin Batra
11 Replies
crontab(5)							File Formats Manual							crontab(5)

Name
       crontab - clock daemon table file

Syntax
       /usr/lib/crontab

Description
       The  command  executes  at  specified dates and times according to the instructions in the file. The file consists of lines with six fields
       each.  The format for a line is as follows:

minute hour day month weekday command

The following list defines each field in the line:

minute (0-59)  The exact minute that the command sequence executes.

hour (0-23)    The hour of the day that the command sequence executes.

day (1-31)     The day of the month that the command sequence executes.

month (1-12)   The month of the year that the command sequence executes.

weekday (1-7)  The day of the week that the command sequence executes. Monday = 1, Tuesday = 2, and so forth.

command	      The complete command sequence variable that is to be executed.  Note that the command string must conform  to  Bourne  shell
		      syntax.

The first five integer fields may be specified as follows:

o   A single number in the specified range

o   Two numbers separated by a minus, meaning a range inclusive

o   A list of numbers separated by commas, meaning any of the numbers

o   An asterisk meaning all legal values

The sixth field is a string that is executed by the shell at the specified times.  A percent sign (%) in this field is translated to a new-
       line character.	Only the first line of the command field, up to a percent sign (%) or end of line, is executed by the  shell.	The  other
       lines are made available to the command as standard input.

Examples
       The following example is part of a file:
       # periodic things
       0,15,30,45 * * * * (echo '^M' `date`; echo '') >/dev/console
       0,15,30,45 * * * * /usr/lib/atrun

# daily stuff
       5 4 * * * sh /usr/adm/newsyslog
       15 4 * * * ( cd /usr/preserve; find . -mtime +7 -a -exec rm -f {} ; )
       20 4 * * * find /usr/msgs -mtime +21 -a ! -perm 444 -a ! -name bounds
	    -a -exec rm -f {} ;

# NOTE: The above line is wrapped.

# local cleanups
       30 4 * * * find /usr/spool/mqueue -type f -mtime +5 -name df-exec rm {} ;
       35 4 * * * find /usr/spool/mqueue -type f -mtime +5 -name tf-exec rm {} ;
       40 4 * * * find /usr/spool/rwho -type f -mtime +21 -exec rm {} ;
       #

# redirecting error output
       0 17 * * 1,3,5 /bin/tar -cv /usr/sysads/smith > /dev/console 2>&1
       #

Files
See Also
       sh(1), cron(8)
       Guide to System Environment Setup

crontab(5)