Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Storing a variable?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Storing a variable? Post 302161876 by hoover90 on Saturday 26th of January 2008 05:43:49 PM
Old 01-26-2008
Storing a variable?

I'm writing a bash shell script to backup several mysql databases. This script will run on a daily basis and send a copy to a remote FTP repository. The filenames are in the format DATE.backup.sql. How do I store the DATE variable so I can delete/move/etc the file on the FTP server the next time the script runs?

Code:
#!/bin/bash

DATE=$(date +%d%b%y_%k.%M.%S)

cd /web/.hhome/mysql.backup/data
mysqldump -ubackup -ppassword --databases db1 db3 > $DATE.backup.sql

gzip -9 $DATE.backup.sql

crypt key < $DATE.backup.sql.gz > $DATE.backup.sql.enc.gz
rm -rf $DATE.backup.sql.gz

ftp -inv ftp.somehost.com<<ENDFTP
user hoover90 password
put $DATE.backup.sql.enc.gz
bye
ENDFTP

I can use pretty much any method, but it has to be done within this bash script.

Thanks!

Last edited by hoover90; 01-26-2008 at 07:19 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing the output into a variable

Hi unix gurus, I am trying to store the result of a command into a variable. But it is not getting stored. x='hello' y=echo $x | wc -c but it is giving the output as 0(zero) Pls help me its very urgent (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing a command in a variable

how would i go about storing this command in a variable echo "$LINE" | awk -F"|" '{print $1"|"$2"|"$3"}' i have tried FOO = ${command up there} but receive the error FOO: not found aswell as a couple of other attempt but no luck (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nookie
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing value in a variable

Hi Everyone, I have a code which requires to be stored in different variables and I am achiving it like this. HOST=`echo $RMP | cut -f2 -d:` NAME=`echo $RMP | cut -f3 -d:` DIR=`echo $RMP | cut -f4 -d:` TYPE=`echo $RMP | cut -f5 -d:` Is there any other way of storing value... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

About storing the value of wc -l into a variable and then using this value in while

Hi all, I m new to this forum. I ma facing onei issue. I have something like this: length= wc -l < b2| awk '{print $1}' where b2 is filename having detauls like: cat b2 abc1 abc4 xyc3 sbdghf4 but when I do echo "$length" it displays nothing Also I am using awk to overcome... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: student2009
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in storing value to variable

#bash curVer=`cat /var/sadm/clsversion | cut -f 2 -d "_"` echo "CurVer:$curVer" ls |grep -v tar| grep -v sh| grep -v log|cut -f 1 -d "_" | sort -u >tmp1 for line in $(cat tmp1) do ver=`echo $line_$curVer` ls $line* |sort >tmp2 grep -n ${ver} tmp2 >/dev/null ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing o/p of a command to a variable

Hi, I have a ftp script there I want to store the o/p of the below command: sftp -b <batch file> user@password cat <batch file> get /remote/file/path/remote_file_name.csv*.gz /local/path Now the problem is that when I fire this command. Then it gives o/p as: File... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing all the PID's in a variable.

Hi, ps -ef|awk '{print $2}' i want to store the result of the above command in a variable. I never worked with arrays in shell scripting. i tried the below code: set a=`ps -ef|awk '{print $2}'` But echo $a returns null. I want to store the content in a variable and retrieve it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing output into a variable

My script below seems to be choking because I need the the output of the find command to be stored as a variable that can then be called by used lower in the script. #!/bin/bash cd "/resumes_to_be_completed" var1=find . -mmin -1 -type f \( -name "*.doc" -o -name "*.docx" \)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing a variable using sed

I would like to use sed to store a variable. The code is : echo $HEADERREC CUTVAR=$(echo "$HEADERREC"|sed 's/SDV/STR') echo $CUTVAR Output I am getting now: 0012PVGRSCDVSDV 005 00000000000000000000 2014 0.00 sed: Function s/SDV/STR cannot be parsed. Desired... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies
BACKUP-MANAGER-UPLOAD(8)				       backup-manager-upload					  BACKUP-MANAGER-UPLOAD(8)

NAME
backup-manager-upload - Multiprotocol uploader for backup-manager. SYNOPSIS
backup-manager-upload [options] date DESCRIPTION
backup-manager-upload will upload all the archives generated on the given date to the specified host with either ftp or scp. It's also possible to use this program for uploading data to an Amazon S3 account. Some metadates are available like "today" or "yesterday". REQUIRED ARGS
--mode=transfer-mode Select the transfer mode to use : ftp, scp, or s3. --host=hostname1,hostname2,...,hostnameN Select a list of remote hosts to connect to. --user=username Select the user to use for connection. OPTIONAL ARGS
--password=password Select the ftp user's password (only needed for ftp transfers). --key=path_to_private_key Select the ssh private key file to use when opening the ssh session for scp transfer. Obviously, this is only needed for scp transfer mode. If you don't specify a key file, the user's default private key will be used. --directory=directory Select the location on the remote host where files will be uploaded. Default is /backup/uploads. --bucket=bucket Sets the bucket name for the Amazon S3 service backup into. --root=directory Select the local directory where files are. Default is /var/archives --gpg-recipient=gpg-recipient Select the gpg public key for encryptiong the archives when uploading with the method ssh-gpg. This can be a short or long key id or a descriptive name. The precise syntax is described in the gpg man page. --list Just list the files to upload. --ftp-purge Purge the remote directory before uploading files in FTP mode. --s3-purge Purge the remote directory before uploading files in FTP mode. --ssh-purge Purge the remote directory before uploading files in SSH mode. --verbose Flag to enable verbose mode. date Date pattern to select some files to upload, can be a valid date (YYYYMMDD) or 'today' or 'yesterday'. ERROR CODES
If something goes wrong during an upload, backup-manager-upload will exit with a non null value. In such a case every error messages are sent to STDERR. Here are the possible error codes: bad command line (wrong arguments) : 10 FTP transfer failure : 20 SCP transfer failure : 21 S3 transfer failure : 22 Unknown upload method: 23 SEE ALSO
backup-manager(3) AUTHORS
Alexis Sukrieh - main code and design Brad Dixon - Amazon S3 upload method Jan Metzger - ssh-gpg upload method perl v5.14.2 2012-05-09 BACKUP-MANAGER-UPLOAD(8)