Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: updating kde 3.5 to 4.0
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers updating kde 3.5 to 4.0 Post 302161621 by sysgate on Friday 25th of January 2008 08:35:02 AM
Old 01-25-2008
there's no automatic way to do that, plus KDE 4.0 is still a "technology preview" i.e. - Beta Version; I tried on virtual machine, it took many hours tweaking the config, so I'd not recommend that. It's better to wait for a stable release and seamless upgrade, especially if you don't have much experience in Unix.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Kde 3.0

Hello, i,ve installed suse with kde 3.0, I had never used an X for unix before. So I don't know much. Most things were easy to find, but what anoyes me a lot is that the desktop is larger than mij monitor, so I have to move my mouse to see the rest of the desktop. I've tried to set the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: counTnegaTive
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

KDE on Solaris 9

hi guys : can KDE be installed on solaris 9 (intel) and if so , does any one know how to do or provide a refrence document for this procedure ? thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: behmoth
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

X-Server without KDE

Hi, i want to start the X-Server without KDE or other Window Manager. I need the X Server vor a Java Applikation! Perhaps anybody can help me how to start it simply. thanks cu Arne (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hatzwatz
6 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

KDE names

I was kinda bored one day, so I renamed my files in KDE. Here are some examples: 1) I renamed my Hard Drive "Komputer" 2) I renamed my Trashcan to "Krap Bin" I'm kinda stuck on those two and I would like some suggestions on other file names. Please help a bored luser! ^_^ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnerd
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk updating one file with another, comparing, updating

Hello, I read and search through this wonderful forum and tried different approaches but it seems I lack some knowledge and neurones ^^ Here is what I'm trying to achieve : file1: test filea 3495; test fileb 4578; test filec 7689; test filey 9978; test filez 12300; file2: test filea... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecano
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

KDE Needs Automake >= 1.6.1 -- I have 1.11

Hi, I'm on Fedora-11-x86_64 with KDevelop 3.5.4. I have automake 1.11 installed, but when I attempt to run automake and friends on a new project I get: *** YOU'RE USING automake (GNU automake) 1.11 *** KDE requires automake 1.6.1 or newer I reported(KDevelop) the error Bug: 210084 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucelio
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

KDE on Solaris ?

I want to install KDE on my Solaris PC , I downloaded solaris companion CD and question is there KDE available to install because I want that all my households work on one stable PC , but one condition is they must have K3B for burning files , and some GUI torrent program for downloading like Vuze... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
2 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

KDE Desktop

I installed KDE with Debian. The KDE desktop never appears. Much searching w/ Google and no help. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Meow613
1 Replies
KDED4(8)							 KDE User's Manual							  KDED4(8)

NAME
kded4 - KDE daemon - triggers Sycoca database updates when needed. SYNOPSIS
kded4 [--help] [Generic options] [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [--check] DESCRIPTION
kded4 is responsible for creating the sycoca file, i.e. the binary cache of servicetypes, mimetypes, and services for a particular user. It monitors the directories containing .desktop files. When a file is added/removed, it waits 5 seconds (in case of series of updates), and then launches kbuildsycoca. GENERIC OPTIONS
--author Show author information. --help Show help about options. --help-all Show all options. --help-kde Show KDE specific options. --help-qt Show Qt specific options. --license Show license information. -v --version Show version information APPLICATION OPTIONS
--check Check Sycoca database only once. USAGE
If kded4 is called without parameters and is already running, it shows the message: KDE Daemon (kded) already running. If kded4 is called with kded4 --check, then it updates the KDE sycoca using kbuildsycoca. SEE ALSO
kdeoptions(7), qtoptions(7), kbuildsycoca(8) BUGS
There are probably tons of bugs. Use bugs.kde.org: http://bugs.kde.org to report them. AUTHORS
David Faure <faure@kde.org>, Waldo Bastian <bastian@kde.org>. 2008-11-12 KDED4(8)