Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl how to move pointer to previous line in a txt file? Post 302161469 by KevinADC on Thursday 24th of January 2008 06:51:27 PM
Old 01-24-2008
If Smiling_Dragons suggestion does not work, you can use the Tie::File module, which allows you to read and write to a file just like a perl array. See the Tie::File documentation for usage details. It's also a core module so you should have it installed already. If you get stuck, post back.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to move file pointer to a particular line in c

Hello experts, I ve a text file I want to go to particular line . what is the best way to do this in c ? I am tried as follows fseek ( fh, pos, SEEK_SET); but this functions moves the file pointer according to a number of bytes. Unfortunately I don't know the exact byte... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files one at the time and wait until the previous file is handled

I'm a novice at unix and need it more and more to do my work. I seem running into problems getting this script "attempt" to work: I need to copy all files in a directory, which is containing 22000 files, into a directory one level up. There a tool monitors the content of the dir and processes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: compasscard
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[PERL] Cannot stat or move filename - £££F3AERO££.txt

Scenario: Users drop files into a directory which is regularly polled by my PERL process. On detecting a file my process will move it from the poll dir to a working directory. A user created a file with a £ symbol in the filename and my process now fails. e.g £££F3AERO££.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thefal9
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move txt file to with current date appended to filename

I have multiple txt files which begin with the word "orders" in folder C:\source. I need to move the files to folder C:\dest and rename them to "process_<date>_<count>" So for example , if there are 3 files ordersa.txt , ordersb.txt and ordersc.txt in C:\source , after running the script I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johannd
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move txt file to with current date appended to filename

I have multiple txt files which begin with the word "orders" in folder C:\source. I need to move the files to folder C:\dest and rename them to "process_<date>_<count>" So for example , if there are 3 files ordersa.txt , ordersb.txt and ordersc.txt in C:\source , after running the script I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: johannd
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: how to move matched pattern to end of previous line

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been doing a lot of sed work lately and have found many useful tips on this forum. I've hit a roadblock in a project, though, and could really use some help. I have a text file with many lines like the following, i.e., some lines begin with a single word... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paroikoi
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Conditional replace based on previous and current value in a line

I need to read the contents of a file. Then I need to grep for a keyword and replace part of the grepped line based on the condition of previous and present line. Example input file: V { port1 = P; port2 = 0; shift_port = P0; /* if next shift_port is P0 I need... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen@
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to append the date | abcddate.txt to the first line of my txt file

I want to add/append the info in the following format to my.txt file. 20130702|abcd20130702.txt FN|SN|DOB I tried the below script but it throws me some exceptions. <#!/bin/sh dt = date '+%y%m%d'members; echo $dt+|+members+$dt; /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS="|"; OFS="|"; } { print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harik1982
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split Every Line In Txt Into Separate Txt File, Named Same As The Line

Hi All Is there a way to export every line into new txt file where by the title of each txt output are same as the line ? I have this txt files containing names: Kandra Vanhooser Rhona Menefee Reynaldo Hutt Houston Rafferty Charmaine Lord Albertine Poucher Juana Maes Mitch Lobel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move a TXT file greater or equal 355 MB with its corresponding .LST file

Good morning, i need your help please I need to move a .TXT file greater or igual 355 MB and its correspondent .LST file in a non recursive way The operating system is: uname -a SunOS server01c 5.10 Generic_144488-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise For example: rw-r--r-- 1 xptol ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
8 Replies
Mail::Box::Tie(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Mail::Box::Tie(3pm)

NAME
Mail::Box::Tie - access an existing message-folder as an array or hash SYNOPSIS
As an array: use Mail::Box::Tie; tie my(@inbox), Mail::Box::Tie::ARRAY => $folder; tie my(@inbox), Mail::Box::Tie => $folder; # deprecated print $inbox[3]; or as hash: tie my(%inbox), Mail::Box::Tie::HASH => $folder; tie my(%inbox), Mail::Box::Tie => $folder; # deprecated print $inbox{'<12379.124879@example.com>'}; DESCRIPTION
The use of "Mail::Box::Tie" is deprecated, because it is succeeded by two separate modules: Mail::Box::Tie::ARRAY and Mail::Box::Tie::HASH. However, this module still works. Folders certainly look like an array of messages, so why not just access them as one? Or, the order is not important, but the message-ids are (give relations): why not access them from a hash based on this message-id? Programs using one of these ties will look simpler than programs using the more traditional method calls. SEE ALSO
This module is part of Mail-Box distribution version 2.105, built on May 07, 2012. Website: http://perl.overmeer.net/mailbox/ LICENSE
Copyrights 2001-2012 by [Mark Overmeer]. For other contributors see ChangeLog. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html perl v5.14.2 2012-05-07 Mail::Box::Tie(3pm)