Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl how to move pointer to previous line in a txt file? Post 302161469 by KevinADC on Thursday 24th of January 2008 06:51:27 PM
Old 01-24-2008
If Smiling_Dragons suggestion does not work, you can use the Tie::File module, which allows you to read and write to a file just like a perl array. See the Tie::File documentation for usage details. It's also a core module so you should have it installed already. If you get stuck, post back.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to move file pointer to a particular line in c

Hello experts, I ve a text file I want to go to particular line . what is the best way to do this in c ? I am tried as follows fseek ( fh, pos, SEEK_SET); but this functions moves the file pointer according to a number of bytes. Unfortunately I don't know the exact byte... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files one at the time and wait until the previous file is handled

I'm a novice at unix and need it more and more to do my work. I seem running into problems getting this script "attempt" to work: I need to copy all files in a directory, which is containing 22000 files, into a directory one level up. There a tool monitors the content of the dir and processes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: compasscard
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[PERL] Cannot stat or move filename - £££F3AERO££.txt

Scenario: Users drop files into a directory which is regularly polled by my PERL process. On detecting a file my process will move it from the poll dir to a working directory. A user created a file with a £ symbol in the filename and my process now fails. e.g £££F3AERO££.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thefal9
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move txt file to with current date appended to filename

I have multiple txt files which begin with the word "orders" in folder C:\source. I need to move the files to folder C:\dest and rename them to "process_<date>_<count>" So for example , if there are 3 files ordersa.txt , ordersb.txt and ordersc.txt in C:\source , after running the script I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johannd
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move txt file to with current date appended to filename

I have multiple txt files which begin with the word "orders" in folder C:\source. I need to move the files to folder C:\dest and rename them to "process_<date>_<count>" So for example , if there are 3 files ordersa.txt , ordersb.txt and ordersc.txt in C:\source , after running the script I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: johannd
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: how to move matched pattern to end of previous line

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been doing a lot of sed work lately and have found many useful tips on this forum. I've hit a roadblock in a project, though, and could really use some help. I have a text file with many lines like the following, i.e., some lines begin with a single word... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paroikoi
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Conditional replace based on previous and current value in a line

I need to read the contents of a file. Then I need to grep for a keyword and replace part of the grepped line based on the condition of previous and present line. Example input file: V { port1 = P; port2 = 0; shift_port = P0; /* if next shift_port is P0 I need... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen@
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to append the date | abcddate.txt to the first line of my txt file

I want to add/append the info in the following format to my.txt file. 20130702|abcd20130702.txt FN|SN|DOB I tried the below script but it throws me some exceptions. <#!/bin/sh dt = date '+%y%m%d'members; echo $dt+|+members+$dt; /usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS="|"; OFS="|"; } { print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harik1982
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split Every Line In Txt Into Separate Txt File, Named Same As The Line

Hi All Is there a way to export every line into new txt file where by the title of each txt output are same as the line ? I have this txt files containing names: Kandra Vanhooser Rhona Menefee Reynaldo Hutt Houston Rafferty Charmaine Lord Albertine Poucher Juana Maes Mitch Lobel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move a TXT file greater or equal 355 MB with its corresponding .LST file

Good morning, i need your help please I need to move a .TXT file greater or igual 355 MB and its correspondent .LST file in a non recursive way The operating system is: uname -a SunOS server01c 5.10 Generic_144488-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise For example: rw-r--r-- 1 xptol ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
8 Replies
Tie::RefHash(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					 Tie::RefHash(3pm)

NAME
Tie::RefHash - use references as hash keys SYNOPSIS
require 5.004; use Tie::RefHash; tie HASHVARIABLE, 'Tie::RefHash', LIST; tie HASHVARIABLE, 'Tie::RefHash::Nestable', LIST; untie HASHVARIABLE; DESCRIPTION
This module provides the ability to use references as hash keys if you first "tie" the hash variable to this module. Normally, only the keys of the tied hash itself are preserved as references; to use references as keys in hashes-of-hashes, use Tie::RefHash::Nestable, included as part of Tie::RefHash. It is implemented using the standard perl TIEHASH interface. Please see the "tie" entry in perlfunc(1) and perltie(1) for more information. The Nestable version works by looking for hash references being stored and converting them to tied hashes so that they too can have references as keys. This will happen without warning whenever you store a reference to one of your own hashes in the tied hash. EXAMPLE
use Tie::RefHash; tie %h, 'Tie::RefHash'; $a = []; $b = {}; $c = *main; $d = "gunk"; $e = sub { 'foo' }; %h = ($a => 1, $b => 2, $c => 3, $d => 4, $e => 5); $a->[0] = 'foo'; $b->{foo} = 'bar'; for (keys %h) { print ref($_), " "; } tie %h, 'Tie::RefHash::Nestable'; $h{$a}->{$b} = 1; for (keys %h, keys %{$h{$a}}) { print ref($_), " "; } THREAD SUPPORT
Tie::RefHash fully supports threading using the "CLONE" method. STORABLE SUPPORT
Storable hooks are provided for semantically correct serialization and cloning of tied refhashes. RELIC SUPPORT
This version of Tie::RefHash seems to no longer work with 5.004. This has not been throughly investigated. Patches welcome ;-) LICENSE
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself MAINTAINER
Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch@woobling.org> AUTHOR
Gurusamy Sarathy gsar@activestate.com 'Nestable' by Ed Avis ed@membled.com SEE ALSO
perl(1), perlfunc(1), perltie(1) perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Tie::RefHash(3pm)