Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users STDOUT redirect to a FILE, when fuser command is used !! Post 302161249 by adderek on Thursday 24th of January 2008 04:48:35 AM
Old 01-24-2008
And I almost forgotten this one:
This is possible that some apps would always write to TTY. Then there is a reason why you have no output on StdOut. In such a case you should dig on the internet how to do it. For example some app could force to write to /dev/tty/some_device....

Another thing:
2>>file.log - this redirects STD ERR
1>>file.log - this redirects STD OUT

So both StdOut and StdErr are 2 different things.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem with redirect stdout to file

Hi all hope you can help as I am going MAD!!! :eek: The below is in a shell script but the redirection in the sed line does not work and outputs to the screen and the $fname_2 does note get created ????? Can any one help ?? #!/bin/ksh cd /app/ for fname in `ls -1 X*` do sed 1d $fname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlucas
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect stderr and/or stdout to /dev/null from command line

Is it possible to redirect errors at the command line when you run the script such as bash scriptname & 2>/dev/null? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knc9233
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout/stderr to a file globally

Hi I am not if this is possible: is it possible in bach (or another shell) to redirect GLOBALLY the stdout/stderr channels to a file. So, if I have a script script.sh cmd1 cmd2 cmd3 I want all stdout/stderr goes to a file. I know I can do: ./script.sh 1>file 2>&1 OR ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islegmar
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect STDOUT to a file in a subshell

Hi, I would like to avoid re-directing line by line to a file. What is the best way to re-direct STDOUT to a file in a subshell? Thanks in advance. Cheers Vj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tnvee
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stdout and stderr to file wrong order problem with subshell

Hello I read a lot of post related to this topic, but nothing helped me. :mad: I'm running a ksh script with subshell what processing some ldap command. I need to check output for possible errors. #!/bin/ksh ... readinput < $QCHAT_INPUT |& while read -p line do echo $line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Osim
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STDOUT redirect to file and format problems

Hi All, I am using centOS. When I try to redirect STDOUT to a file, it ends up in getting some funny characters. For example ... STDOUT of the command as follows. $ ls H3k27me3 H3k36me3 H3k4me1 H3k4me2 H3k4me3 H3k9ac H4k20me1 $ ls >test $ cat test ^ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chulamakuri
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

9. Programming

C, UNIX: How to redirect 'stdout' to a file from a C code?

I am looking for a way to redirect standard output to a file from a C-code; so, any 'cout<<..' or 'printf(...)' will be written into a file. I have a server source that I need to debug. That program called by RPC (remote procedure call) and has no any session to print out anything. I have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: Code: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.log But during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Luc edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
6 Replies
BLOGD(8)						       The SuSE boot concept							  BLOGD(8)

NAME
blogd - boot logging on /dev/console SYNOPSIS
/sbin/blogd [/dev/realtty] DESCRIPTION
Without argument blogd determines the real underlying character device of /dev/console. blogd spawns a pty/tty pair to reconnect the cur- rent /dev/console with the slave of the pty/tty pair. During writing information from this slave to the real character device a ring buffer is used to hold the information for writing it to an existing logging file. To fetch the real tty of /dev/console the program showconsole(8) can be used. This has the advantage that blogd will not hold the real character device of /dev/console as its controlling tty (would hangup any running getty on that character device). SIGNALS
blogd knows a few signal to contol its behavior. SIGQUIT, SIGINT, and SIGTERM will cause blogd tries to write out the ring buffer and to exit. SIGIO says blogd that now it is able to write on /var/log/boot.msg which means that the file system is mounted read/write and the kernel messages are written to that file. SIGSYS says blogd that it should stop writing to disk but continue to repeat messages to the old devices of the system console. BUGS
blogd needs a mounted /proc and /dev/pts file system and tries to set the controlling tty to stdin if the real character device of /dev/console is not given. After reading /proc blogd tries to restore the status of the controlling tty to avoid problems with getty pro- cesses. This can fail because blogd forks to run in the background as a daemon. FILES
/proc/<pid of blogd>/stat the stat file of the blogd process. /dev/console the system console. /var/log/boot.msg logging file which is created by klogd(8) or dmesg(8). SEE ALSO
showconsole(8), syslogd(8), klogd(8), dmesg(8), proc(5). COPYRIGHT
2000 Werner Fink, 2000 SuSE GmbH Nuernberg, Germany. AUTHOR
Werner Fink <werner@suse.de> 3rd Berkeley Distribution Nov 10, 2000 BLOGD(8)