Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to delete logs or take backups under specific user Post 302161241 by ennstate on Thursday 24th of January 2008 04:35:42 AM
Old 01-24-2008
Your script is expecting an existing directory to be given as the backup location.

Also pls try to run the script as below and post the output
yourscript -a backup -l /tmp/Debug

Make sure that you have created /tmp/Debug before running the script,at the end of the run,check if see any directory named backup under /tmp/Debug

Thanks
Nagarajan G

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch delete specific folder from user home directories

Hi! Need your help. How can I delete the cache folder of multiple user home directories via automatically executed shell script on a Mac OS X Server? Example: The userdata are stored on a Xsan Volume like this: /Volumes/Xsan/userdata/mike /Volumes/Xsan/userdata/peter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nipodrom
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to change/find/delete/install a specific file

Hi Very much a newbie to UNIX & scripting, but have identified an area within work that would benefit from being automated, as its repeated manually very often, and it looks like the ideal first script! What I need to do is change directory to a users home (cd ~), and then find and remove a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Great Uncle Kip
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a script that executes when a user attempts to delete history logs

Hi, I have a linux redhat 9 server and I am concerned about the security on that server. I would like to be able to write a script that records all the commands that were typed at the command prompt before the user calls the 'history -c' command and deletes all the history. I was thinking about... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mishkamima
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to automatically delete old backups

I'm creating nightly backups using cygwin bash with this one line script: zip -r "K:/backup/outlook/`date "+%y%m%d%M"`" C:/Documents\ and\ Settings/siegfried/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Microsoft/Outlook How can I enhance my script using the "rm" command so I never have more than 4 zip... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run a bash script that logs on as a non-root user and runs script as root

So I have a script that runs as a non-root user, lets say the username is 'xymon' . This script needs to log on to a remote system as a non-root user also and call up a bash script that runs another bash script as root. in short: user xymon on system A needs to run a file as root user and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make a script that logs bandwidth on a specific port?

I have a script that runs right before a daily reboot that captures the amount of MB transmitted up and pulled down since last reboot. echo `date +"%m-%d-%y"``grep eth0 /proc/net/dev | awk '{print ","$2/1024/1024","$10/1024/1024}'`>>/home/nick/bandwidth.logIn looking at the raw output of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to append user details as soon as he logs in

I'm wishing to create a log myself where I wish to: 1.Write a script in /bin folder to make a separate log in var/log folder & 2.Call the script in bashrc each time a user logs in, I'm trying to avoid CRONJOB as it would take too much of my memory after iterations. So I just need to append the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lionking93
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compress and delete the older logs

Hello Guys, Can you please help me with a script which zips the older log files(1-2 weeks) and delete them? I want to run the script manually instead of setting it up in a cron job. Appreciate your help. Regards, Kris (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kriss.gv
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to delete empty files from specific locations

Hi, I need help in regard to developing a shell script to delete empty files from multiple specific locations. The directory paths will be stored in a text file. So the requirement is to read the text file for one specific path and then remove empty files from that particular path. Looping through... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khan28
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
Test::Script(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Test::Script(3pm)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.10.1 2009-11-24 Test::Script(3pm)