Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read elements of a xml file?????? Post 302161219 by ahmedwaseem2000 on Thursday 24th of January 2008 02:50:16 AM
Old 01-24-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixmadhan
I highly recommend using a XML::Parser for it

Its very easy to use and implement.

Initially for one of our tasks, without thinking about XML::Parser, I did wrote a mini XML::Parser which turned to be much complicated to maintain later.

Switch to parsers that are already available
I am not able to locate any. Could you please point me to any???

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read xml file

Iam new to shell script. How to read xmlfile using shellscript(without awk),and Store record by record in file . My xml file: <root> <header> <HeaderData1>header1</HeaderData1> <HeaderData2>header2</HeaderData2> </header> <detailsRecord> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram2s2001
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help using SED to comment XML elements

I'm trying to write a script to help automate some VERY tedious manual tasks. I have groups of fairly large XML files (~3mb+) that I need to edit. I need to look through the files and parse the XML looking for a certain flag contained in a field. If I find this flag (an integer value) I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J-Hon
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read data in XML file

Hello Everybody, I have a question on reading the data from XML file through KSH shell script. In the below file I need to collect the patient control no and its respective insured id. I need to have pair of these values in single line separated by some special character, so that I could use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swame_sp
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and write to xml file

hi i am quite new to shell scripting and need help in reading and writing in xml file i have an xml file with format: <main> <store> <name>ABC</name> <flag>0</flag> <size>123<size> </store> <store> <name>DEF</name> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kichu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML elements and store them in array

Hi Friends Im so confused with using 'for' loop in ksh. I have a xml like the following: <serviceProvider> <serviceProviderID>1</serviceProviderID> <serviceProviderName>Balesh</serviceProviderName> <serviceFeeAmount>30.00</serviceFeeAmount> </serviceProvider>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balesh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to read XML file

Dear All, I have one log file and it contains lot of XML as below. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murtujak
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on awk to read xml file

Hello, I have a xml file as shown below. I want to parse the file and store data in variables. xml file looks like: <TEST NAME="DataBaseurl">jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:1521:ora10</TEST> <TEST NAME="Databaseuser">Pradeep</TEST> ...... and many other such lines i want to read this file and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract only required elements from XML.

Hi , I have an XML like this. <Request> <SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"> <version>v44</version><messageId>7247308192</messageId><timeToLive>72000000000</timeToLive> </Request>. I want to extract on version and messageId. As in my output... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file excluding XML in it

Hi , I have a file like below.I want all the content in a single line excluding the XML.How can i proceed? t=21 y=23 rg=xyz ..... <xmlstarts> . . <xmlends> lk=99 lo=09 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can we extract specific elements from XML?

Hi, I have a requirement to extract specific element value dynamically from XML message. Here is the sample message: <File> <List> <main> <dir>doc/store834/archive</dir> <count>5</count> </main> <main> <dir>doc/store834/extract</dir> <count>6</count> </main> <main> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renukeswar
3 Replies
XML::DOM::ValParser(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  XML::DOM::ValParser(3pm)

NAME
XML::DOM::ValParser - an XML::DOM::Parser that validates at parse time SYNOPSIS
use XML::DOM::ValParser; my %expat_options = (KeepCDATA => 1, Handlers => [ Unparsed => &my_Unparsed_handler ]); my $parser = new XML::DOM::ValParser (%expat_options); eval { local $XML::Checker::FAIL = &my_fail; my $doc = $parser->parsefile ("fail.xml"); ... XML::DOM::Document was created sucessfully ... }; if ($@) { # Either XML::Parser (expat) threw an exception or my_fail() died. ... your error handling code here ... # Note that the XML::DOM::Document is automatically disposed off and # will be garbage collected } # Throws an exception (with die) when an error is encountered, this # will stop the parsing process. # Don't die if a warning or info message is encountered, just print a message. sub my_fail { my $code = shift; die XML::Checker::error_string ($code, @_) if $code < 200; XML::Checker::print_error ($code, @_); } DESCRIPTION
Use XML::DOM::ValParser wherever you would use XML::DOM::Parser and your XML will be checked using XML::Checker at parse time. See XML::DOM for details on XML::DOM::Parser options. See XML::Checker for details on setting the fail handler (my_fail.) The following handlers are currently supported, just like XML::DOM::Parser: Init, Final, Char, Start, End, Default, Doctype, CdataStart, CdataEnd, XMLDecl, Entity, Notation, Proc, Default, Comment, Attlist, Element, Unparsed. XML
::DOM::ValParser XML::DOM::ValParser extends from XML::Checker::Parser. It creates an XML::Checker object and routes all event handlers through the checker, before processing the events to create the XML::DOM::Document. Just like XML::Checker::Parser, the checker object can be retrieved with the getChecker() method and can be reused later on (provided that the DOCTYPE section of the XML::DOM::Document did not change in the mean time.) You can control which errors are fatal (and therefore should stop creation of the XML::DOM::Document) by filtering the appropriate error codes in the global $XML::Checker::FAIL handler (see "ERROR_HANDLING" in XML::Checker) and calling die or croak appropriately. Just like XML::Checker::Parser, XML::DOM::ValParser supports the SkipExternalDTD and SkipInsignifWS options. See XML::Checker::Parser for details. AUTHOR
Enno Derksen is the original author. Send bug reports, hints, tips, suggestions to T.J. Mather at <tjmather@tjmather.com>. SEE ALSO
XML::DOM, XML::Checker ("SEE_ALSO" in XML::Checker) perl v5.10.0 2001-08-26 XML::DOM::ValParser(3pm)