Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find files in directory and its subdirectory Post 302161171 by Lakris on Wednesday 23rd of January 2008 09:29:31 PM
Old 01-23-2008
Well, if he hasn't fallen asleep... or cursed his lack of taking hourly backups...

-exec would be better than how I used xargs in my example. I was thinking of the possibility of long "lists" in the result but it wouldn't apply to how I wrote it. But I think the OP wants to treat a list of of items given, so maybe:

Code:
while read filename;do find ~ -type f -name "$filename" -print0 -exec ls {} \; ;done < listofnames.txt
and when You are sure, replace ls with rm...

would be better? Using rm -rf would delete all files (and directories) matching the pattern given in the constant string (DON'T RUN THAT COMMAND!) and I don't think that is what he wanted.

/Lakris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command, -name by directory and subdirectory?

Hi All, I'm trying to use the find command to return matches for a directory and file. For example, given the following directories: /one/two/three/file1.txt /one/three/two/file1.txt /one/four/two/three/file1.txt I'm expecting the following to be returned: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: makodarear
16 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move all files in a directory and subdirectory?

I'm trying to organize my MB Pro by moving all my jpeg files to a single folder from the desktop. There are some on the desktop that are not in any folder. I was at the command line and typed mv *.jpg "Jpeg files" but it only moved the files that were on the desktop, not any of the ones that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i find a word inside a file from a directory and it's subdirectory ?

Suppose i have a word "mail". I have to search this word in all files inside a directory and it's sub-directories. It will also search in all hidden directory and sub-directories. If it finds this word in any file it will list that file. How can i do this with perl/ruby/awk/sed/bash or... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Find files in subdirectory?

I am trying to find all DAT files in a subdirectory named IN. I do not know the entire path. For example: /stage/<?>/<?>/IN/file.DAT I am using the find command without success: find /stage -name IN -a -name '*.DAT' -print What is the correct logic and syntax? Thank you for the help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TwinGT
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files not in a directory into a subdirectory named for each given file

Hi Everyone! Looking for some help with a script that will take all files in any given root folder (which are not already in a folder) and put them into separate folders with the name of each given file. Any ideas? Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DanTheMan
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory To look something like below, for example /var 35 /var/tmp 56 /var/adm 46 Any ideas how can we do this? :wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jakerock
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory To look something like below, for example /var 35 /var/tmp 56 /var/adm 46Any ideas how can we do this? Got a sun cluser global mount point which takes ages to mount everytime, need to understand... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakerock
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing ownership of a directory, subdirectory and files as same as in another server

accidentally i have changed ownership of a directory,subdirectory and files wil below command. I want to the change ownership back as same as in same directory on another server. How can i do it? chown -R user:group /u01 is there any simple script? it is really an urgent need.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Globbling files in the direct subdirectory of the current directory

I want to list files that end with .c in the direct subdirectory of the current directory. I have tried the following command: find ./ -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2 -name "*.c" Is that right? Or is there any easier way to handle that problem? Another problem is that I want to grep in a file to find... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ray Sun
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all files except the subdirectory(without pattern) in a directory

I used rm * and it deleted the files in the directory but gives and error message for unsuccessful subdirectory deletion. "rm: cannot remove 'DirectoryName': Is a directory" I dont want to explicitly get the above error. What are the modifications I have to do in the rm command? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duplicate
3 Replies
FINDRULE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       FINDRULE(1)

NAME
findrule - command line wrapper to File::Find::Rule USAGE
findrule [path...] [expression] DESCRIPTION
"findrule" mostly borrows the interface from GNU find(1) to provide a command-line interface onto the File::Find::Rule heirarchy of modules. The syntax for expressions is the rule name, preceded by a dash, followed by an optional argument. If the argument is an opening parenthesis it is taken as a list of arguments, terminated by a closing parenthesis. Some examples: find -file -name ( foo bar ) files named "foo" or "bar", below the current directory. find -file -name foo -bar files named "foo", that have pubs (for this is what our ficticious "bar" clause specifies), below the current directory. find -file -name ( -bar ) files named "-bar", below the current directory. In this case if we'd have omitted the parenthesis it would have parsed as a call to name with no arguments, followed by a call to -bar. Supported switches I'm very slack. Please consult the File::Find::Rule manpage for now, and prepend - to the commands that you want. Extra bonus switches findrule automatically loads all of your installed File::Find::Rule::* extension modules, so check the documentation to see what those would be. AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> from a suggestion by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Find::Rule perl v5.18.2 2011-09-19 FINDRULE(1)