Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: alias a simple ls -l command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting alias a simple ls -l command Post 302161073 by wvdeijk on Wednesday 23rd of January 2008 02:59:08 PM
Old 01-23-2008
Why bother with an alias.

Code:
ls -ld

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias's & Functions - simple question

Having a memory lapse: If I redefine a command using an alias or a function - How do I access the "real" command without specifying an absoulte path: i.e. function man { /usr/bin/man |more } alias ls='/usr/bin/ls -l' How do I specify the ls or man command above without the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kornshellmaven
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

alias for rm command

Hi, i want to make alias for rm command. It should actually move the file to a directory in my home. Say if i type %rm abc.txt the command should expand to %mv abc.txt ~ashishp/trash How should I write the alias for this? -Ashish (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a question about alias command

Some Unix systems won't enable you to do the following. What danger do you see lurking in this alias? (a) alias who (b)who -a Do you know it? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayyu317
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Alias a command

Hi 'm executing a java program from my shell script on solaris 9 as $JAVA_HOME\bin\java -ms32m -mx128m -classpath $CLASSPATH com.abc.fwk,abcServer.abcfwkServer $1 & where $1 is port number when i do ps -ef, it shows whole command , i want to give this some alias name as abcProcess, so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: b_garima
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

complicated alias command

hi guys i m making one alias which will set variable , invoke sqlplus and also set prompt of sqlplus,,i have made successfully upto invoking sqlplus in unix but cant pass command in sqlplus here is the command alias sett='export ORACLE_SID=devdb2;sqlplus system/system@test' now this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tapia
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A very simple script, but alias won't work

I am new to unix and therefore I did a lot of reading before posting. So please, if this has been answered before, forgive me for re-posting and point me to the right place for the answer. I have spent many hours searching the net and read over 50 posts in this forum and even tried a few thing but... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: sssccc
20 Replies

7. Solaris

Simple question: alias not working for root

OS = Solaris 8 Issue: alias not working for root, but working for regular users # grep root /etc/passwd root:x:0:1:Super-User:/:/sbin/sh # alias dir=ls # dir dir: not found # alias dir="ls -l" # dir dir: not found # alias dir='ls -l' # dir dir: not found # alias... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias command help

Hello, I'm attempting to configure shell settings in my new Macbook. The standard unix command line 'alias' doesn't seem to be working: bash-3.2$ alias dir ls -la bash: alias: dir: not found bash: alias: ls: not found bash: alias: -la: not found bash-3.2$ alias dir 'ls -la' bash:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palex
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SUDO help with command alias

Hi there, I'm trying to setup sudo privileges for a user, Oracle in this case, to run Unix commands like mv,chmod, chown, mkdir, rmdir against their own set of commands or scripts. Is there an easier way to do this than to give Unix commands for each of their respective commands as shown below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple .sh and alias or ? whatever. Do backup!

Hi , Using bash shell (mintty) in cygwin/windows env. for some time and having issues with most basic commands. Will be quite easy to get er done once I know how , just like magic tricks. I need either alias OR shell script to change windows to posix path AND put that line back -input OR .cd to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sircuts
2 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)