Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to delete logs or take backups under specific user Post 302161003 by adderek on Wednesday 23rd of January 2008 09:59:07 AM
Old 01-23-2008
man chmod - see sticky bit
google suid
man find
man (language you would like to write the script in)

You should not expect that someone will do it for you (but maybe someoe would...).

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch delete specific folder from user home directories

Hi! Need your help. How can I delete the cache folder of multiple user home directories via automatically executed shell script on a Mac OS X Server? Example: The userdata are stored on a Xsan Volume like this: /Volumes/Xsan/userdata/mike /Volumes/Xsan/userdata/peter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nipodrom
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to change/find/delete/install a specific file

Hi Very much a newbie to UNIX & scripting, but have identified an area within work that would benefit from being automated, as its repeated manually very often, and it looks like the ideal first script! What I need to do is change directory to a users home (cd ~), and then find and remove a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Great Uncle Kip
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a script that executes when a user attempts to delete history logs

Hi, I have a linux redhat 9 server and I am concerned about the security on that server. I would like to be able to write a script that records all the commands that were typed at the command prompt before the user calls the 'history -c' command and deletes all the history. I was thinking about... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mishkamima
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to automatically delete old backups

I'm creating nightly backups using cygwin bash with this one line script: zip -r "K:/backup/outlook/`date "+%y%m%d%M"`" C:/Documents\ and\ Settings/siegfried/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Microsoft/Outlook How can I enhance my script using the "rm" command so I never have more than 4 zip... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run a bash script that logs on as a non-root user and runs script as root

So I have a script that runs as a non-root user, lets say the username is 'xymon' . This script needs to log on to a remote system as a non-root user also and call up a bash script that runs another bash script as root. in short: user xymon on system A needs to run a file as root user and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make a script that logs bandwidth on a specific port?

I have a script that runs right before a daily reboot that captures the amount of MB transmitted up and pulled down since last reboot. echo `date +"%m-%d-%y"``grep eth0 /proc/net/dev | awk '{print ","$2/1024/1024","$10/1024/1024}'`>>/home/nick/bandwidth.logIn looking at the raw output of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to append user details as soon as he logs in

I'm wishing to create a log myself where I wish to: 1.Write a script in /bin folder to make a separate log in var/log folder & 2.Call the script in bashrc each time a user logs in, I'm trying to avoid CRONJOB as it would take too much of my memory after iterations. So I just need to append the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lionking93
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compress and delete the older logs

Hello Guys, Can you please help me with a script which zips the older log files(1-2 weeks) and delete them? I want to run the script manually instead of setting it up in a cron job. Appreciate your help. Regards, Kris (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kriss.gv
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to delete empty files from specific locations

Hi, I need help in regard to developing a shell script to delete empty files from multiple specific locations. The directory paths will be stored in a text file. So the requirement is to read the text file for one specific path and then remove empty files from that particular path. Looping through... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khan28
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
sticky(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 sticky(8)

Name
       sticky - executable files with persistent text

Description
       The sticky bit (file mode bit 01000), is used to indicate special treatment for certain executable files and directories.

While the sticky bit, mode 01000 is set on a sharable executable file, the text of that file will not be removed from the system swap area.
       Thus the file does not have to be fetched from the file system upon each execution.  As long as a copy remains in the swap area, the origi-
       nal  text  cannot  be  overwritten  in  the file system, nor can the file be deleted.  Directory entries can be removed so long as one link
       remains.

Sharable files are made by the and options of

To replace a sticky file that has been used, clear the sticky bit with and execute the old program to flush the swapped copy.  This can	be
       done  safely  even  if others are using it.  Overwrite the sticky file.	If the file is being executed by any process, writing will be pre-
       vented.	It suffices to simply remove the file and then rewrite it, being careful to reset the owner and mode with and Set the  sticky  bit
       again.

A  directory  whose  sticky bit is set becomes an append-only directory, or, more accurately, a directory in which the deletion of files is
       restricted.  A file in a sticky directory may only be removed or renamed by a user if the user has write permission for the  directory  and
       the  user  is the owner of the file, the owner of the directory, or the superuser.  This feature is usefully applied to directories such as
       which must be publicly writeable but should deny users the license to arbitrarily delete or rename each others' files.

Restrictions
       Only the superuser can set the sticky bit.

See Also
       chmod(2)

RISC								 sticky(8)