Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read elements of a xml file?????? Post 302160989 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 23rd of January 2008 09:06:53 AM
Old 01-23-2008
I highly recommend using a XML::Parser for it

Its very easy to use and implement.

Initially for one of our tasks, without thinking about XML::Parser, I did wrote a mini XML::Parser which turned to be much complicated to maintain later.

Switch to parsers that are already available

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read xml file

Iam new to shell script. How to read xmlfile using shellscript(without awk),and Store record by record in file . My xml file: <root> <header> <HeaderData1>header1</HeaderData1> <HeaderData2>header2</HeaderData2> </header> <detailsRecord> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram2s2001
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help using SED to comment XML elements

I'm trying to write a script to help automate some VERY tedious manual tasks. I have groups of fairly large XML files (~3mb+) that I need to edit. I need to look through the files and parse the XML looking for a certain flag contained in a field. If I find this flag (an integer value) I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J-Hon
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read data in XML file

Hello Everybody, I have a question on reading the data from XML file through KSH shell script. In the below file I need to collect the patient control no and its respective insured id. I need to have pair of these values in single line separated by some special character, so that I could use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swame_sp
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and write to xml file

hi i am quite new to shell scripting and need help in reading and writing in xml file i have an xml file with format: <main> <store> <name>ABC</name> <flag>0</flag> <size>123<size> </store> <store> <name>DEF</name> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kichu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML elements and store them in array

Hi Friends Im so confused with using 'for' loop in ksh. I have a xml like the following: <serviceProvider> <serviceProviderID>1</serviceProviderID> <serviceProviderName>Balesh</serviceProviderName> <serviceFeeAmount>30.00</serviceFeeAmount> </serviceProvider>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balesh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to read XML file

Dear All, I have one log file and it contains lot of XML as below. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murtujak
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on awk to read xml file

Hello, I have a xml file as shown below. I want to parse the file and store data in variables. xml file looks like: <TEST NAME="DataBaseurl">jdbc:oracle:thin:@localhost:1521:ora10</TEST> <TEST NAME="Databaseuser">Pradeep</TEST> ...... and many other such lines i want to read this file and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract only required elements from XML.

Hi , I have an XML like this. <Request> <SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"> <version>v44</version><messageId>7247308192</messageId><timeToLive>72000000000</timeToLive> </Request>. I want to extract on version and messageId. As in my output... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file excluding XML in it

Hi , I have a file like below.I want all the content in a single line excluding the XML.How can i proceed? t=21 y=23 rg=xyz ..... <xmlstarts> . . <xmlends> lk=99 lo=09 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can we extract specific elements from XML?

Hi, I have a requirement to extract specific element value dynamically from XML message. Here is the sample message: <File> <List> <main> <dir>doc/store834/archive</dir> <count>5</count> </main> <main> <dir>doc/store834/extract</dir> <count>6</count> </main> <main> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renukeswar
3 Replies
PARSER(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 PARSER(1)

NAME
XML::DOM::Parser - An XML::Parser that builds XML::DOM document structures SYNOPSIS
use XML::DOM; my $parser = new XML::DOM::Parser; my $doc = $parser->parsefile ("file.xml"); DESCRIPTION
XML::DOM::Parser extends XML::Parser The XML::Parser module was written by Clark Cooper and is built on top of XML::Parser::Expat, which is a lower level interface to James Clark's expat library. XML::DOM::Parser parses XML strings or files and builds a data structure that conforms to the API of the Document Object Model as described at <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1>. See the XML::Parser manpage for other additional properties of the XML::DOM::Parser class. Note that the 'Style' property should not be used (it is set internally.) The XML::Parser NoExpand option is more or less supported, in that it will generate EntityReference objects whenever an entity reference is encountered in character data. I'm not sure how useful this is. Any comments are welcome. As described in the synopsis, when you create an XML::DOM::Parser object, the parse and parsefile methods create an XML::DOM::Document object from the specified input. This Document object can then be examined, modified and written back out to a file or converted to a string. When using XML::DOM with XML::Parser version 2.19 and up, setting the XML::DOM::Parser option KeepCDATA to 1 will store CDATASections in CDATASection nodes, instead of converting them to Text nodes. Subsequent CDATASection nodes will be merged into one. Let me know if this is a problem. Using LWP to parse URLs The parsefile() method now also supports URLs, e.g. http://www.erols.com/enno/xsa.xml. It uses LWP to download the file and then calls parse() on the resulting string. By default it will use a LWP::UserAgent that is created as follows: use LWP::UserAgent; $LWP_USER_AGENT = LWP::UserAgent->new; $LWP_USER_AGENT->env_proxy; Note that env_proxy reads proxy settings from environment variables, which is what I need to do to get thru our firewall. If you want to use a different LWP::UserAgent, you can either set it globally with: XML::DOM::Parser::set_LWP_UserAgent ($my_agent); or, you can specify it for a specific XML::DOM::Parser by passing it to the constructor: my $parser = new XML::DOM::Parser (LWP_UserAgent => $my_agent); Currently, LWP is used when the filename (passed to parsefile) starts with one of the following URL schemes: http, https, ftp, wais, gopher, or file (followed by a colon.) If I missed one, please let me know. The LWP modules are part of libwww-perl which is available at CPAN. perl v5.8.0 2000-01-31 PARSER(1)