Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users HOw do i give a user cronjob edit/settings permission? Post 302160893 by debu on Wednesday 23rd of January 2008 03:21:24 AM
Old 01-23-2008
HOw do i give a user cronjob edit/settings permission?

Hi,

In a Unix Server when i 'su' to my name and type in crontab it says " You are not authorised......".

Pls suggest what to do? How do i give myself permission so that I can schedule a cron.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cronjob not considering my .envrc settings

Hi, I am trying to execute a java program with a perl wrapper over that. when i execute the perl script it is running fine as my .envrc settings are already loaded when the shell is started. When i put this perl wrapper in cron, then it says the CLASSPATH env-variable is not defined. Does the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarmakdvsr
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to give permission for a specified user

Hi All, How can i give permission for a specific user ( eg. admin ) ? I tried with chmod admin+r prog.sh which doesnt work. Is there any way i can specify a user's name and give the permission? Thanks in advance. Saneesh Joseph. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saneeshjose
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cronjob: permission denied

Hello everybody, I will be very thankfull for any help to solve this problem. My project installed in subfolder and url is mysite.mydomain.com. Can't setup crontab for this project, error: " /bin/sh: /usr/bin/GET: Permission denied ". But it is working fine for root directory installation. ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alano
16 Replies

4. Solaris

give user permission on specific directory in solaris

dear all does any one give any user write permission using access control list or another way to solve this problem (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murad.jaber
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

user settings

Hello I wonder... lets say I have to set up very very restricted rights to a user that only should be able to access logfile Y in catalogue X and nothing else. Current user is going to use Putty to access current unix machine. Is it possible to set up user settings so a user is just able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mimaca
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

give permission to read a file

I want to give tester only the account tester to view the file /var/mail/root nobody else but him and of course the owner root w/o changing the permisions of /var/mail/root -rw-------. $ cat /var/mail/root cat: /var/mail/root: Permission denied (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Access file permission settings from Windows

Looking to see if there is a tool/crawler that could export the file permissions to a windows for a unix system ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matvrix
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cronjob not working from user's crontab

Hi All, I am trying to execute a python script from a user's crontab. /home/user1/UDE/scripts/UdeManager.py I am at /home/user1. If I run the command "/home/user1UDE/scripts/UdeManager.py" from the users home directory its working fine. But when I try to run from user's cron tab its... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to give full permission to a directory?

Hi, I have enabled the Apache webserver on my machime. Apache root directory is /etc/apache2 and the user in which the web server is configured is webservd,I guess. I have another user called perf. Under perf user there is /export/home/perf/v9 directory. I want to give the OS user of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikas89
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I give permission for the kill command?

<?php $comando = "kill -9 3104"; $output = shell_exec($comando); ?> I am running this web page, but it does not execute the command, in the log file it looks like this: sh: 1: kill: Operation not permitted How do I give permission to execute the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rodrigo_Bueno
1 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						      General Commands Manual							CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab - maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [ -u user ] file crontab [ -u user ] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
Crontab is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the allow file does not exist but the deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. If the -u option is given, it specifies the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines "your" crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(8) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(8) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename ``-'' is given. The -l option causes the current crontab to be displayed on standard output. The -r option causes the current crontab to be removed. The -e option is used to edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) FILES
/etc/cron.allow /etc/cron.deny STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std1003.2-1992 (``POSIX''). This new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 29 December 1993 CRONTAB(1)