Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Padding in Unix
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Padding in Unix Post 302160714 by shamrock on Tuesday 22nd of January 2008 02:34:42 PM
Old 01-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudoraj
I have a file with different character counts on each line
how do i make it with unique character counts.

example:

1st line : ABCD 011 XYZ 0000 YYYY BBB TEADINGDA
2nd line: ABCD 011 xys 0010 YYYY BBB TEAD
3rd line : ABCD 022 YXU 000 UUU BBB TE

1st line is 43 characters
2nd line is 39 characters
3rd line is 37 characters

how do i make all line to be 41 characters

Thanks
Code:
fmt -w 41 file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Padding issues

Hello, Structure padding & structure size are different on Compaq & HP UNIX. When structures are transfered via netfork from Compaq to HP will this be a problem? If yes, what can be the solution? Thanks, shilpa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: informshilpa
2 Replies

2. Programming

Zero Padding to a string

I am writing a C program which a part of it needs to padding zero in front of a string. The program will get a sting from an ASCII file which the maxium length of this string is 5 char long. The string can sometimes less the 5 char long. In order to make it with the same length '0's are being... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wing m. Cheng
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Padding

Hi Can anyone tell me how to pad zeroes on the left side to a numeric string in unix shell scripting Your answer is very much appreciated Thanks Vijay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaygopalsk
2 Replies

4. Programming

Padding variables

Is there a function in c that will allow me to pad variables? I have an int that can't be longer than 10. I need to pad a numeric value with leading zeros 314 0000000314 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flounder
1 Replies

5. Programming

Byte Padding

Hi, Can someone explain what is byte padding? For ex: struct emp{ char s; int b; char s1; int b1; long b3; char s3; } What will be the size of this structure? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zero padding dates

I have a file with records containing dates like: SMPBR|DUP-DO NOT USE|NEW YORK||16105|BA5270715|2007-6-6|MWERNER|109||||JOHN||SMITH|MD|72211118||||||74559|21 WILMINGTON RD||D|2003-11-6|SL# MD CONTACT-LIZ RICHARDS|||0|Y|N||1411458| How can I get the date fields in each of my records to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding with zeros.

Hi Friends, I would like to left pad with "0's" on first column say (width six) I have a large file with the format: FILE: 1: ALFRED 84378 NY 8385: JAMES 88385 FL 323: SMITH 00850 TX My output needs to be like: 000001: ALFRED 84378 NY 008385: JAMES 88385 FL 000323: SMITH... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Padding leading zero

hi All i am new to linux... source txt .. 281-BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 282-BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 83-BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 is it possible to use bash script to convert to (remove the "-" and fill up to 4 digit" ? 0281 BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 0282 BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 0083 BUM-5M BUM-5M 0 0 thanks a ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samoptimus
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash padding

Hi all Is there a way to pad the output of a bash script see that code below for i in `sed -n '/Start Printer/,/End Printer/p' /u/ab/scripts/hosts.conf | awk '!/^#/ {print $2}' | egrep -v 'broke|primera' `; do pages=`snmpget -Ov -v1 -c public $i sysLocation.0 | awk '{print $2}'` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Left padding in Unix

I am passing input string,length, and the pad character. input string=123 Pad char=# Length=6 then the output should be: ###123 How we can do this? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
5 Replies
MRTG-LOGFILE(1) 						       mrtg							   MRTG-LOGFILE(1)

NAME
mrtg-logfile - description of the mrtg-2 logfile format SYNOPSIS
This document provides a description of the contents of the mrtg-2 logfile. OVERVIEW
The logfile consists of two main sections. The first Line It stores the traffic counters from the most recent run of mrtg. The rest of the File Stores past traffic rate averates and maxima at increassing intervals. The first number on each line is a unix time stamp. It represents the number of seconds since 1970. DETAILS
The first Line The first line has 3 numbers which are: A (1st column) A timestamp of when MRTG last ran for this interface. The timestamp is the number of non-skip seconds passed since the standard UNIX "epoch" of midnight on 1st of January 1970 GMT. B (2nd column) The "incoming bytes counter" value. C (3rd column) The "outgoing bytes counter" value. The rest of the File The second and remaining lines of the file contains 5 numbers which are: A (1st column) The Unix timestamp for the point in time the data on this line is relevant. Note that the interval between timestamps increases as you progress through the file. At first it is 5 minutes and at the end it is one day between two lines. This timestamp may be converted in OpenOffice Calc or MS Excel by using the following formula =(x+y)/86400+DATE(1970;1;1) (instead of ";" it may be that you have to use "," this depends on the context and your locale settings) you can also ask perl to help by typing perl -e 'print scalar localtime(x)," "' x is the unix timestamp and y is the offset in seconds from UTC. (Perl knows y). B (2nd column) The average incoming transfer rate in bytes per second. This is valid for the time between the A value of the current line and the A value of the previous line. C (3rd column) The average outgoing transfer rate in bytes per second since the previous measurement. D (4th column) The maximum incoming transfer rate in bytes per second for the current interval. This is calculated from all the updates which have occured in the current interval. If the current interval is 1 hour, and updates have occured every 5 minutes, it will be the biggest 5 minute transfer rate seen during the hour. E (5th column) The maximum outgoing transfer rate in bytes per second for the current interval. AUTHOR
Butch Kemper <kemper@bihs.net> and Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> 2.17.4 2012-01-12 MRTG-LOGFILE(1)