Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pass arguments to called program Post 302160644 by prashant43 on Tuesday 22nd of January 2008 08:34:55 AM
Old 01-22-2008
How to read the values passed to function in ksh shekk scripting

I have a doubt.
Please answer to my query

In ksh shell,
There is a function f1.
function f1
{

}

I am passing values to fuunction f1 as

f1 "A" "B"

Please tell me how to read the passed values in function f1.

Advance Thanks & Regards
PrashantSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pass Kill with arguments

Dude, I want to kill a process, but the processid is in a text file. I have to read the text file for the process id and pass it as parameter to the kill command. Example $ cat prcid.txt 18650 I want to pass the value 18650 as a process id to kill command. $ kill -9 <value read from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksmuralee
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help to pass arguments in script

Hi, I have a my script here-- print "The Perl Script does the User health check and system health check...\n"; print "---------------------------------------------------------------------\n"; # use strict; my($OS); $OS = $^O; # need to test @ARGV before GetOptions shifts it if (@ARGV... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing a Program called MAQ (Beginner Here)

Basically, I'm trying to install this program called MAQ. Maq User's Manual I've downloaded it and I tried to type in $ ./configure; make; make install but the ouput I got was this: bash: ./configure: No such file or directory make: Entering directory `/home/vlay/bwa-0.5.0' make:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlay2
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Function not called when no arguments is passed

Hi Guys, I am trying to pass arguments to the script i am wrinting. When no argument is passed or wrong argument is passed, the script needs to output the way it needs to be called and exit. Currently, when no arguments is passed, it is not getting exited but goes on assuming those... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass arguments unchanged

Hi, I have to use ksh on HP-UX for some scripting. I usually use "set -e -u" in scripts to stop if errors occur or a typo is in a variable name. Now I try to use "$@" to pass the arguments unchanged to another function, which works without problems - unless I try to call the script without... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: michas
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell variable be called in a cobol program

Hi All, I have a file which sets all the variables on unix , based on the hostname. Currently these variables are hardcoded in the cobol programs.I was wondering if unix variables can be used in Cobol programs ? Example : I have a variable $SHTEMP which is set based on the following : Prod... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell program- how many times a function is called

We have a program source C and is required to indicate how many times each function is called from the C program. also print the line number where there is a call. I've tried something like this: #!/bin/sh for i in $*;do if ! then echo $i is not a C file. else echo $i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: oana06
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass arguments to the library .so

Hello, Please, how can i pass arguments to my lib.so ? my lib.so is written in c and i need some arguments in the code .. LD_PRELOAD=lib.so ./program Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass arguments to an sftp script??

hi, Is it possible to pass arguments to a sftp script and use those arguments in the program? for example sftp_script FILENAME=$1 #!/usr/bin/expect spawn /usr/bin/sftp abc@ftp.abc.com expect "abc@ftp.abc.com's password:" send "pass\r" expect "sftp>" send "mput $FILENAME\r"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass command line arguments to awk program?

#!/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS=":"; } { if ( $7 == "" ) { print $1 ": no password!"; } } I want to execute this program for a particular user to check for his password from the file /etc/passwd (as the input file) and the user details to be given... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sri.phani
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)