Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Who does the Login process
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Who does the Login process Post 302160607 by uvrakesh on Tuesday 22nd of January 2008 07:49:58 AM
Old 01-22-2008
getty is the proceess which would help you in login while doing a direct login to the machine
sshd '' '' '' while doing login through ssh shell
telnetd " "" "" through telnet
xdm "" "" through an xserver remotely

Regards,
Rakesh UV

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get telnetd to start a process other than login

I want to be able to get telnetd to start a program of my choice or one that I have written . . . or . . . write a daemon of my own to listen on a port other than 23 and when a connection arrives it should create a controlling tty/pty and then launch my program on the client side of the pty. A... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdenaro
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

login error(can not set process env.)

I have created user in AIX 4.3.3 which the member of staff group. but during login ( with su command) it gives the error "can not set process environment " but when it is member of another group -dba -which is the group for oracle database- it works properly. Pls let me know the solution. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie: The UNIX Login process

I'm a complete newbie to UNIX so bear with me please... I would like to get a description or process flow of a typcial UNIX loging process....for example, from the moment someone inputs their ID and password to final access. What are the files and order in which they are accessed? How does the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngp
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hiding login/password in process!

Hello, I am trying to figure out away to hide a command from users when performing a ps check. I have a ksh that purges a table in a database. If I perform a >ps -eaf |grep ksh, I get the login id and password. I do not want other users seeing this. Is there a way to hide this. The login... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctcuser
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Login Process takes longer

Hello. Since Yesterday, I notice that after giving telnet IP or SSH IP - it takes long time to display login: , I mean earlier after entering Server name It used to immediately ask for login ID and then password. But, now it takes min of 2-3 minute to ask for password. Where can I check,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
12 Replies

6. Solaris

Can u explain login process in solaris

Can u explain login process in solaris detaily.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jinu
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

login process taking a long time

I'm having a bit of a login performance issue.. wondering if anyone has any ideas where I might look. Here's the scenario... Linux Red Hat ES 4 update 5 regardless of where I login from (ssh or on the text console) after providing the password the system seems to pause for between 30... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: retlaw
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Some automatic process to login in putty. install some patch

Hello, I was wondering, we have multiple servers where we login from Putty. Is there some way we get automatically loged in after giving server name and password(by saving it in some file or like that) Just a thought (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can adding to a new group be effective in current login environment without re-login?

Hey folks, When a user is added to a new group, the user has to be log out and log in again to make the new group effective. Is there any system command or technique to refresh user group ID update without re-login? I am not talking about to use "login" or "su -l" commands which can only make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change login process

Hello everybody ! At the beginning - I hope everything will be understandable as I know that my english skills are not as good as I would like. I use Manjaro Linux for one year, previously used Ubuntu for 6 years. Today I got an idea to create small USB electronic device but I don't know how... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: halfboy
6 Replies
LOGIN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  LOGIN(8)

NAME
login.krb5 - kerberos enhanced login program SYNOPSIS
login.krb5 [-p] [-fFe username] [-r | -k | -K | -h hostname] DESCRIPTION
login.krb5 is a modification of the BSD login program which is used for two functions. It is the sub-process used by krlogind and telnetd to initiate a user session and it is a replacement for the command-line login program which, when invoked with a password, acquires Ker- beros tickets for the user. login.krb5 will prompt for a username, or take one on the command line, as login.krb5 username and will then prompt for a password. This password will be used to acquire Kerberos Version 5 tickets (if possible.) It will also attempt to run aklog to get AFS tokens for the user. The version 5 tickets will be tested against a local krb5.keytab if it is available, in order to verify the tickets, before letting the user in. However, if the password matches the entry in /etc/passwd the user will be unconditionally allowed (permitting use of the machine in case of network failure.) OPTIONS
-p preserve the current environment -r hostname pass hostname to rlogind. Must be the last argument. -h hostname pass hostname to telnetd, etc. Must be the last argument. -f name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -F name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -e name Perform pre-authenticated, encrypted login. Must do term negotiation. CONFIGURATION
login.krb5 is also configured via krb5.conf using the login stanza. A collection of options dealing with initial authentication are pro- vided: krb5_get_tickets Use password to get V5 tickets. Default value true. krb_run_aklog Attempt to run aklog. Default value false. aklog_path Where to find it [not yet implemented.] Default value $(prefix)/bin/aklog. accept_passwd Don't accept plaintext passwords [not yet implemented]. Default value false. DIAGNOSTICS
All diagnostic messages are returned on the connection or tty associated with stderr. SEE ALSO
rlogind(8), rlogin(1), telnetd(8) LOGIN(8)