Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) the best way of editing .plist files Post 302160346 by PxT on Monday 21st of January 2008 05:46:39 PM
Old 01-21-2008
Use the 'defaults' command which is included with the OS, or the GUI Property List Editor which comes with the Developers toolkit. If you are on Leopard there is also a tool called PlistBuddy.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using defaults read to get value from plist

Hi there, I'm trying to retrieve a value from a plist file, which I have done before with no problems, however this plist file looks a little different.... Normally it's like this; <plist version="1.0"> <dict> key>KeyName</key> <string>blah</string> I want the value of KeyName, so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davewg
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

max os x .plist not running as scheduled?

Hello all, I am admittedly a newbie and have created a plist designed to fire off a shell script everyday at 3:00pm. It is located in /Library/LaunchDaemons/. I use it to mirror a hard local drive with a remote one. It worked one time but not again after that. I never restart the machine... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Movomito
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing files

Is there any command which I can apply from the command line to find and replace a particular text say "00:00:00:00" with "00" from all the files( where ever this text exists) of the current directory? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cobroraj
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing files to add some thing in all the files in a folder

Hi All, I have a folder that contains 100's of files and each file have a similar content like the following format: ((STBJa:200.0,((STBTz:200.0,(STSwe:200.0,(STDUw:200.0,(ST4Bu:200.0,STL2b:200.0):127.0):86.0):80.0):120.0, STAHr:200.0):134.0):200.0,STuNg:200.0);What I need is to do is add "#1"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Plist to Unix Executable

I'm using an old conversion method for converting a plist into an XML file, but that's not what I'm needing just via terminal now. What I'm looking for is an answer to convert a plist file into an executable. I'd like to import it into Casper and have the JSS push it out onto an image. In this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimachead
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing plist file ?

Hi, I wondered if it was possible to parse a plist file like this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14586156/stuff/Bookmarks.plist so it will afterwards look like this <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing files.

hello, i have a problem. suppose file.txt i want to add lines over those lines in a file if it starts and ends with how and "?" respectively. i want output like output file.txt thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashwantkumar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing files

This is a smallpart of my input file.I want to change the ID values of entries having CMW as an entry. Cont_1.266 . CMW 2958 3269 . - 0 PARENT=t:UM06506T0;ID=UM06506P0;rank=6 Cont_1.266 . CMW 3394 3505 . - 0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasdf
3 Replies
PLISTBUDDY(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     PLISTBUDDY(8)

NAME
PlistBuddy -- read and write values to plists SYNOPSIS
PlistBuddy [-cxh] file.plist DESCRIPTION
The PlistBuddy command is used to read and modify values inside of a plist. Unless specified by the -c switch, PlistBuddy runs in interactive mode. The following commands are used to manipulate plist data: Help Prints this information. Exit Exits the program. Changes are not saved to the file. Save Saves the current changes to the file. Revert Reloads the last saved version of the file. Clear type Clears out all existing entries, and creates root of type type. See below for a list of types. Print [entry] Prints value of entry. If an entry is not specified, prints entire file. See below for an explanation of how entry works. Set entry value Sets the value at entry to value. Add entry type [value] Adds entry with type type and optional value value. See below for a list of types. Copy entrySrc entryDst Copies the entrySrc property to entryDst. Delete entry Deletes entry from the plist. Merge file [entry] Adds the contents of plist file to entry. Import entry file Creates or sets entry to the contents of file. Entries consist of property key names delimited by colons. Array items are specified by a zero-based integer index. Examples: :CFBundleShortVersionString :CFBundleDocumentTypes:2:CFBundleTypeExtensions Entries may be of the following types: string array dict bool real integer date data OPTIONS
-c command Execute command and exit. By default, PlistBuddy will run in interactive mode. -x Output will be in the form of an xml plist where appropriate. -h Print the complete help info. EXAMPLES
Set the CFBundleIdentifier property to com.apple.plistbuddy: Set :CFBundleIdentifier com.apple.plistbuddy Add the CFBundleGetInfoString property to the plist: Add :CFBundleGetInfoString string "App version 1.0.1" Add a new item of type dict to the CFBundleDocumentTypes array: Add :CFBundleDocumentTypes: dict Add the new item to the beginning of the array: Add :CFBundleDocumentTypes:0 dict Delete the FIRST item in the array: Delete :CFBundleDocumentTypes:0 dict Delete the ENTIRE CFBundleDocumentTypes array: Delete :CFBundleDocumentTypes EXIT STATUS
PlistBuddy command returns a zero exit status if it succeeds. Non zero is returned in case of failure. Mac OS X February 19, 2007 Mac OS X