Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Sending mail in C/C++ in unix server Post 302160287 by softweyr on Monday 21st of January 2008 10:58:29 AM
Old 01-21-2008
Java

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroon
Can u please tell more details i am somewhat naive user
popen is a very simple function to use. It allows you to open a system command as a FILE stream, for reading or writing. To send an email, you will want to open a stream for writing so you can "print" the contents of the email into the function:

Quote:
FILE *mailer = popen("/usr/bin/mail -s 'Some subject here' user@domain", "w");
fprintf(mailer, "Hello %s,\nThis note is to inform you that your job completed successfully.\n", username);
pclose(mailer);
You would, of course, want to add some error checking to this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

block certain domain from sending mail to server

hi currently i have a server that is able to send out and receive mail. is there a way to configure the server such that mails can be sent to a certain domail like abc@yahoo.com but block mails from this domain abc@yahoo.com. the server is running on solaris 10. thanks in advance :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Sending msg From Unix Server to an E-mail Address

Dear Brothers in Unix I would like to change some HP-UX settings in order that the system send a message to root it should be copied to my e-mail address in Microsoft Exchange Server. Please can you help me. Best Regards and thanks in advance Gege (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgege
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sending email via mail server

hi everyone i am facing one problem. there is one unix server in our organisation which stores daily routine backup, and one mail server which is on windows 2k3, they are on one intranet. now i want that a mail should be generated and sent to the e-mail id of employees like nitin@hotmail.com... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parmeet
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending mail from unix

Hi, I am using mailx command to send mail through Unix. But I am able to send mail only within my domain. If i want to send mail to some other server, it's not working. Like say If I want to send mail to someone on gmail or yahoo it's not working. but it's working fine within my company domain.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anki_1
3 Replies

5. Linux

help sending mail on linux server

Hi, I coded a bash script.I m trying to use this command in the script mail -s "test" user@abc.com I tried this command on prompt.however it hangs.I check /var/log/maillog/ stat=Deferred: Connection timed out with mail.rdmedia.com. sendmail: n0M8lscO014303: localhost did not issue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunsail
2 Replies

6. Programming

Mail sending from VFP9 through internal postfix esmtp server.

hi all, please help me in this regard. I am VFP 9 programmer. I want to send the mail from within VFP 9 application. I have used CDO of microsoft which is working fine. however to be able to send the mail i have to setup the router gateway on user machine which enable him to surf through the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: choudharidl
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

[Solved] How do I configure Unix Mail Server to use another Mail Exchange Server

We have configured our mail unix server and can send out emails automatically from applications running on unix to different people in our company as well as outside our company. However there is an outside client who is not receiving these emails because the settings on their mail server cannot... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tenyhwa
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

php code - Sending mail with external SMTP server

Here is the code: <?php //new function function loadini($path) { $fp = fopen($path, "r"); $fpcontents = fread($fp, filesize($path)); fclose($fp); return $fpcontents; } $to = "test@test.com"; $nameto = "notme"; $from = "test"; $namefrom = "Who From"; ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending e-mail from unix

Hello, I want to send an email from unix. I tried following commands: mailx -s "hello" manish.xxx@xxx.com < echo_manish and echo "Testing Mail" | mailx -s "hello" manish.xxx@xxx.com but in both the commands nothing is happening. I mean it is neither giving any error nor I am receiving... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues sending emails using PostFix Mail Server

I'm unable to send email from my Linux server despite SMTP port 25 Active and Listening. # hostname TechX I checked the mail log ( /var/log/maillog ) and found the below error. I'm sharing all the ".cf" files seen in the error log. 1. # more /etc/postfix/main.cf # postfix... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
0 Replies
mail.local(1M)                                            System Administration Commands                                            mail.local(1M)

NAME
mail.local - store mail in a mailbox SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mail.local [-f sender] [-d] recipient DESCRIPTION
mail.local reads the standard input up to an end-of-file and appends it to each user's mail file (mailbox). This program is intended to be used by sendmail(1M) as a mail delivery agent for local mail. It is not a user interface agent. Messages are appended to the user's mail file in the /var/mail directory. The user must be a valid user name. Each delivered mail message in the mailbox is preceded by a "Unix From line" with the following format: From sender_address time_stamp The sender_address is extracted from the SMTP envelope address (the envelope address is specified with the -f option). A trailing blank line is also added to the end of each message. The mail files are locked with a .lock file while mail is appended. The mail files are created with mode 660, owner is set to recipient, and group is set to mail. If the ``biff'' service is returned by get- servbyname(3SOCKET), the biff server is notified of delivered mail. This program also computes the Content-Length: header which will be used by the mailbox reader to mark the message boundary. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -f sender Specifies the "envelope from address" of the message. This flag is technically optional, but should be used. -d Specifies the recipient of the message. This flag is also optional and is supported here for backward compatibility. That is, mail.local recipient is the same as mail.local -d recipient. -l Turn on LMTP mode. -r from Specify the sender's name (for backward compatibility). -7 Do not advertise 8BITMIME support in LMTP mode. -b Return a permanent error instead of a temporary error if a mailbox exceeds quota. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: recipient The recipient of the mail message. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
TZ Used to set the appropriate time zone on the timestamp. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/tmp/local.XXXXXX temporary files /tmp/lochd.XXXXXX temporary files /var/mail/user_name user's mail file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mail(1), comsat(1M), sendmail(1M), getservbyname(3SOCKET), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 11 Apr 1997 mail.local(1M)