Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading filenames with extension .xml Post 302160281 by earnstaf on Monday 21st of January 2008 10:34:56 AM
Old 01-21-2008
Code:
for file in /path/to/*.xml
do
grep stuff $file
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading filenames inside a program

UNIX Sun Ultra60 5.5.1 Hello everybody, I have a problem that seems simple but turns out to be complex (for me at least). My program needs to open a directory (this part is easy), scan each filename and determine whether or not a file with the suffix (.07) exists. So the program would return... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_t_kim
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding an extension to a group of filenames

Hi - I'm stuck. I have a group of text files created using the split command. My files have the names "projectaa", "projectab", "projectac", etc. What I want to do is add the extension ".txt" to each file. I think I've got part of a sed command together, but I'm stuck on my regex - I keep getting... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pepintheshort
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading long filenames from nero to AIX

One of my colleagues is having an issue moving files between a windows box and the AIX servers in the office. The filenames are being truncated though i don't know to what extent. He's using Nero to burn the CD and I think he mentioned he's using Joliet. I found another thread that shows a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: categoryzd
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: reading filenames from file

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that reads filenames from a file and use these filenames in a loop. The filenames are all on one line and the problem is that these filenames have wildcards like * and braces like in them. Right now what I'm doing is something like this: echo "reading from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: warp17
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match the last XML extension by using Case statement

Hi All, I have a status.txt file which contains following three files. 1.xml 2.xml 3.xml Now i have written a shell script 1.sh which contains the following cat status.txt | while read filename do echo $filename case "$filename" in xml) echo "running 1.xml" ;; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunitachoudhury
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing the extension from all filenames in a folder

Hi there, I'm pretty new to UNIX and have tried trawling through this forum to find an answer to what I want to try to do, which I'm sure is very simple but I don't know how to do it. What I have a a folder that contains multiple files that I have copied from Windows and I want to remove the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmcclintock
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading extension of files

Hi, I need a command to read extension of files. Could anyone please help me? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyadarshini
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

change filenames but not extension

I have a filename with a bunch of periods that I want to replace with underscores, but I don't want to change the extension. Ex: I want file.test1.f-1.fig.eps to be file_test1_f-1_fig.eps Using awk, the following line will replace ALL periods with underscores, but I want to leave the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erinbot
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove filenames having the same extension.?

hi, i have a directory which contains some files and a subdirectory. i am writing only the files names to a file using the below code. ls -ltr | grep "^-" | awk '{print $NF}' > /home/file_list$$ cat /home/file_list$$ s1_abc.txt s2_def.xls s3_def.xls as you can see there is one .txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading filenames with spaces

Hello I've got a certain no. of files in a directory whose names I'm reading and redirecting into a temporary text file using the command below: ls -l | grep ^- | awk '{print $9}'However, whenever the file names contain spaces the above command considers only the part of the file name up to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: S. BASU
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)