Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trick to ignore space in folder name Post 302160201 by adderek on Monday 21st of January 2008 06:33:19 AM
Old 01-21-2008
I believe that this is a bug in log_delete2.sh. Very often bug: you should always use apostrophes: "string with spaces, $HOME"=1 argument that is parsed, '$HOME xxx'=1 argument that is not parsed, string xxx $HOME=3 arguments that are parsed.
Most of the scripts I have seen have problems with such names/params Smilie
Do not try to pass directories like '/home/user/ directory with space as first character' - such scripts tends to do:
rm -rf $param
so it runs as
rm -rf /home/user
rm -rf directory
rm -rf with
rm -rf space
rm -rf as
rm -rf first
rm -rf character

Last edited by adderek; 01-21-2008 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: colors & missing details

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

space in perticular folder in unix

can any one tell me how to know the free space in perticular folder in unix. size in bytes/MB. thanks in adv. spandu (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spandu
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

space in folder name

hi my folder name is below FTP_DIR="/DATA/TEMP/PA Mthly and Qrty files" But when i am using the varaible in my ftp shel script i am getting the error '/DATA/TEMP/VA: The system cannot find the path specified please advice. thanks in advance sam (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam99
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating space in root folder

Hi , I was wondering if anyone knows any great ways for creating space in your Root Folder. My root folder was created with only 247.7MB & I found out that its now full & I was initially wondering how important the "thumbnails Folder" was & if it was alright to delete their contenses as I noticed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the folder with space in name.

A solaris server with SAMBA share folder. The PC users created many folders with space on it, I want to find them out, but not list its subfolders. For example, I have below folders Copy of ABC/efg/xy sa/Test again/xyt If I use command: find . -type d |grep " " I will list 6 folders, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdcwayx
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy multiple files with space to folder

Please help , I am in an urgent need, Please help nawk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){printf("%s\n",$i)}}' filename | sed 's/.*com//' | nawk '/pdf/ {printf("F:%s\n",$0)}' | while read line; do mv $line /images/; done the above script works for without spaces but,My path is also having some space... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umapearl
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ignore space regular expression

I just wrote a modsecurity rule that blocks execution on "cat /etc/passwd" from webshell. But when I use cat /etc/passwd it works. Ie when I add space after cat. What I need is a regular expression to ignore additional space than the first single space after cat. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK FS with ignore space option

Hi, i have in a situation to get the variables which are having a "|" delimiter and each variable may or may not have spaces, so how can i skip the spaces on the string and print the string as it is. For example: line = "|Hello world|Hello|Hi Guys| read x y z <<<$(echo "$line" | awk -F"|"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tprabhaker
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

Which Folder occupies more space?

Hi, What are the correct parameters to list folders size in MBs under a particular directory in HP-UX ? I know and commands but cannot get the output of folder sizes in MBs. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore Folder in Shell Script ?

Hi, I currently use a script to extract *.deb files located in a Directory called "/var/mobile/Media/Downloads" The Problem is howver I want the script to ignore the folder: "/var/mobile/Media/Downloads/New Debs and Files" (it shall NOT decompile any of the files in that folder. Here is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files from Space Folder to other folder

I want to move a folder with spaces from one folder to another. I have two folders like this, 1).RT_032-222 -4444-01/ 2). RT_032-555 -7777-01/ I want to move files from 2 to 1 through shell script.Here I want to assign this like a user defined variable like as Source branch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
2 Replies
GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)                                               User Commands                                              GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)

NAME
grub-render-label - generate a .disk_label for Apple Macs. SYNOPSIS
grub-render-label [OPTION...] [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
Render Apple .disk_label. -b, --bgcolor=COLOR use COLOR for background -c, --color=COLOR use COLOR for text -f, --font=FILE use FILE as font (PF2). -i, --input=FILE read text from FILE. -o, --output=FILE set output filename. Default is STDOUT -t, --text=STRING set the label to render -v, --verbose print verbose messages. -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub-render-label is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-render-label programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-render-label should give you access to the complete manual. grub-render-label (GRUB) 2.02-2ubuntu8.3 July 2018 GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)