Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX CUT command - cutting characters from end of string Post 302160183 by JWilliams on Monday 21st of January 2008 04:52:47 AM
Old 01-21-2008
CUT command - cutting characters from end of string

Hello,

I need to delete the final few characters from a parameter leaving just the first few. However, the characters which need to remain will not always be a string of the same length.

For instance, the parameter will be passed as BN_HSBC_NTRS/hub_mth_ifce.sf. I only need the bit before the slash - BN_HSBC_NTRS. However, this could also be passed as BN_HUB_NTRS/hub_mth_ifce.sf - slightly shorter. Is there a way of removing the /hub_mth_ifce.sf part and storing it as an additional parameter?

Thanks,

John.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters from end of $string

I am writing a script to search PCL output and append more PCL data to the end accordingly. I need to remove the last 88 bytes from the string. I have searched for a few hours now and am coming up with nothing. I can't use head or tail because the PCL output is all on one line. awk crashes on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: craig2k
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To cut end string from line

HI, I want to cut end string from line. e.g. i have following input line /users/home/test.txt I want to get end string 'test.txt' from above line and length of that end string will change and it always start after '/'. Thanks, Visu (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: visu
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut from a particular character to the end of the string

Hi All, I have a string like "9633C01302_2". I need to extract the number(02) after "13" and before "_" and the number coming after "13" and before "_" is not constant, it keeps on changing... Can some one plz help me wth the command.. i tried this echo "9633C01302_2" | cut -d'_' -f1 ..But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajesh_955
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble cutting characters into a string.

I just have a couple of quick questions. I am having trouble with this cut. I am basically trying to cut the string so that i can insert the users guess at the appropriate point in the string. $letters is the character count of the $word. What it seems to do is cut the character into the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makaer
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing characters from end of string

Hello, I have records like below that I want to remove any five characters from the end of the string before the double quotes unless it is only an asterik. 3919,5020 ,04/17/2012,0000000000006601.43,,0000000000000000.00,, 132, 251219,"*" 1668,0125 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed cut characters of string

helloo I wonder if there's a way to cut characters out of a string and keep only the last 2 by using sed. For example if there's the todays' date: 2012-05-06 and we only want to keep the last 2 characters which are the day. Is there a quick way to do it with sed? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlm
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed! - Cut characters after a text string and append to end of filename

Hi all.. I have several unique files that contain one thing in common, and that is acct#. For all files in the directory, I want to append the 10 characters following the word "ACCOUNT:" to the end of the filename. for example: I have file 111_123 that contains ACCOUNT:ABC1234567 The file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cinderella1
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut a string for last 8 characters

Hello All I have a file like this abc.tpt.ctl bdc.tpt.ctl cdw.tpt.ctl I have looped every line using the for Loop, now I want to take each line and cut the .tpt.ctl part of it and store it in a variable and use the variable in same loop. The part I am stuck at is how do I cut the last... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut wildcard characters from a string

Hello All, I have to write a shell logic inside my ANT Script , the data from my ANT is in the string like string a = "test1.props,test2.props,*,test3.props,?,test4,props" how do i remove this wild card characters from my string a and assign them to an other string , like i only want to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raokl
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a particular string from column eliminating characters at the end.

Hi, So basically I have this file containing query output in seperated columns. In particular column I have the below strings: news news-prio I am trying to grep the string news without listing news-prio aswell. I tried grep "$MSG_TYPE" , grep -w "$MSG_TYPE" , grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
4 Replies
CUT(1)								   User Commands							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - remove sections from each line of files SYNOPSIS
cut OPTION... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print selected parts of lines from each FILE to standard output. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --bytes=LIST select only these bytes -c, --characters=LIST select only these characters -d, --delimiter=DELIM use DELIM instead of TAB for field delimiter -f, --fields=LIST select only these fields; also print any line that contains no delimiter character, unless the -s option is specified -n with -b: don't split multibyte characters --complement complement the set of selected bytes, characters or fields -s, --only-delimited do not print lines not containing delimiters --output-delimiter=STRING use STRING as the output delimiter the default is to use the input delimiter --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Use one, and only one of -b, -c or -f. Each LIST is made up of one range, or many ranges separated by commas. Selected input is written in the same order that it is read, and is written exactly once. Each range is one of: N N'th byte, character or field, counted from 1 N- from N'th byte, character or field, to end of line N-M from N'th to M'th (included) byte, character or field -M from first to M'th (included) byte, character or field With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report cut translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by David M. Ihnat, David MacKenzie, and Jim Meyering. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for cut is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and cut programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'cut invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 CUT(1)