Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help on sed replacing special characters Post 302159790 by Franklin52 on Friday 18th of January 2008 03:26:07 PM
Old 01-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock
Code:
sed 's?\\??' file

shamrock,

Have you test your solution?
This:

Code:
echo '\abc\\1234' | sed 's?\\??'

gives:

Code:
abc\\1234

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing French special characters

Hi, I have tonnes of .txt files that are written in French. I need to replace the French special characters, however, with English equivalents (e.g. é -> e and ç -> c). I have tried this --- #!/bin/bash # Convert French characters to normal characters # Treat each of the files exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BlueberryPickle
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with special characters

Hi, I am reading a file (GC_JAR.log) which has entries like: 511725.629, 0.1122672 secs] 525268.975, 0.1240036 secs] 527181.835, 0.2068215 secs] 527914.287, 0.2884801 secs] 528457.134, 0.2548725 secs] I want to replace all the entries of "secs]" with just "secs" Thus, the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itzz.me
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED with Special characters

Hello All Seeking the right one SED command. My attempt is: From orginal.txt by SED to target.txt sed -i "/('outbound-callerid/a\$ext->add($context, $exten, '', new ext_SipAddHeader('P-Preferred-Identity', '<sip:${CALLERID(nummer)}@carrier.com>'));" orginal.txtWhat am make wrong?:wall: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdbinder
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string with special characters in shell

Hi, I am trying to replace a string in shell but it is not working correctly. @xcom.file@ needs to be replaced with tb137 Plz help.Thx. Please use and tags when posting code, data or logs etc. to preserve formatting and enhance readability, thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish72
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in replacing special characters

I am writing a ksh script. I need to replace a set of characters in an xml file. FROM="ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÛÚÜÝßàáâãäåçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö¿¶ø®"; TO="AAAAAAACEEEEIIIIDNOOOOOOUUUUYSaaaaaaceeeeiiiionooooo N R" I have used the code- sed 's/$FROM/$TO/g'<abc.xml But its not working. Can anyone tell me the code to do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga20
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing valuses containig space and special characters

**Extremely sorry for the typos in heading Old:CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') New :CAST(CAST('${G_DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'MM-DD-YYYY') as DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') Need to change old format as new format cat file1 CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 100bees
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing special character with sed

Hi All, I have a text file that contains I1SP2 *=*=Y=M=D001D My requirement is to replace all occurrence of =* to =Z expected o/p is I1SP2 *=Z=Y=M=D001D I have tried with sed 's/=*/=Z/g' file sed 's!\=*!\=Z/g' file sed 's!\=*!\=Z!g' file sed 's!\=\*!\=Z!g' file but its not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replacing string/special characters using a 'conversion' table

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a script or program available out there that uses a conversion table to replace special characters from a file? I am trying to remove some special characters from a file but there are several unprintable/control characters that some I need to remove but some I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any tip to replacing the special characters in a file

Hi, Please find attached a file that has special characters on it. It is a copy and paste from a Micro$oft file. I don't want to use strings as it remove all the 'indentations' / 'formatting' so I am replacing them with space instead. I am using the sed command below sed "s/$(printf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
Char(3) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   Char(3)

NAME
PDL::Char -- PDL subclass which allows reading and writing of fixed-length character strings as byte PDLs SYNOPSIS
use PDL; use PDL::Char; my $pchar = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $pchar->setstr(1,0,'foo'); print $pchar; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'foo' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] print $pchar->atstr(2,0); # Prints: # ghi DESCRIPTION
This subclass of PDL allows one to manipulate PDLs of 'byte' type as if they were made of fixed length strings, not just numbers. This type of behavior is useful when you want to work with charactar grids. The indexing is done on a string level and not a character level for the 'setstr' and 'atstr' commands. This module is in particular useful for writing NetCDF files that include character data using the PDL::NetCDF module. FUNCTIONS
new Function to create a byte PDL from a string, list of strings, list of list of strings, etc. # create a new PDL::Char from a perl array of strings $strpdl = PDL::Char->new( ['abc', 'def', 'ghij'] ); # Convert a PDL of type 'byte' to a PDL::Char $strpdl1 = PDL::Char->new (sequence (byte, 4, 5)+99); $pdlchar3d = PDL::Char->new([['abc','def','ghi'],['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']]); string Function to print a character PDL (created by 'char') in a pretty format. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['jkl' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] # 'string' is overloaded to the "" operator, so: # print $char; # should have the same effect. setstr Function to set one string value in a character PDL. The input position is the position of the string, not a character in the string. The first dimension is assumed to be the length of the string. The input string will be null-padded if the string is shorter than the first dimension of the PDL. It will be truncated if it is longer. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); $char->setstr(0,1, 'foobar'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'pqr'] # ] $char->setstr(2,1, 'f'); print $char; # 'string' bound to "", perl stringify function # Prints: # [ # ['abc' 'def' 'ghi'] # ['foo' 'mno' 'f'] -> note that this 'f' is stored "f" # ] atstr Function to fetch one string value from a PDL::Char type PDL, given a position within the PDL. The input position of the string, not a character in the string. The length of the input string is the implied first dimension. $char = PDL::Char->new( [['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], ['jkl', 'mno', 'pqr']] ); print $char->atstr(0,1); # Prints: # jkl perl v5.12.1 2009-10-17 Char(3)