Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting to find the file with full path Post 302159777 by faltooweb on Friday 18th of January 2008 02:26:39 PM
Old 01-18-2008
I found this while searching for fast filename expansion ideas.

I know this is very old message, but thought it should be put to a close.
Here is one way to achieve the result.

ls -rt $dir1/*.xml $dir2/*.xml $dir3/*.xml

This will sort files from all directories matching "*.xml", with the oldest first.
If your directory list is a variale list then you may try the following.
Assuming input variable as "IN_VAR" containing list of dirs.

DIR_LIST=`echo $IN_VAR | sed 's, ,/*.xml ,g; s,,$/*.xml,'`

echo "$DIR_LIST"

ls -rt $DIR_LIST

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract only file name from full path file name

What is the smartest way to just extract file name from a full path name. e.g. if I have /usr/sanjay/bin/file_name.c I want only file_name.c Sanjay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

process executable file full path

hi guys i give "ps -ef | grep some_executable_file" on the command line. this "some_executable_file" resides on many paths which r included in the PATH environment variable, so the output depicts only "some_executable_file" in the COMMAND column. how can i get the full path? thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtrix
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

list all files with full path of the file

How can i list every single file on a sun solaris server running 2.8 starting from '/' with the full path included in it? example. / ... ... ... /etc/inetd.conf /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ... ... ... /var/adm/messages /var/adm/messages.0 /var/adm/messages.1 ... ... ...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sowser
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

list file with full path

This has been bugging me for a while. How can i list file to show full path. /directory/test $ ls file.tst file.tst $ desired output: /directory/test/file.tst (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return Full File Path To Array PERL

Iam trying to load the full path of multiplie files in the same directory to an array if the filenames matches a pattern. The following is the current code; where $input=C:\test # change to and open the comparison directory chdir("$input2") || die "Cannot change dir: $!"; opendir(DIR2,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cold_Que
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract strings from full path when full path is not fixed

/Path/snowbird9/nrfCompMgrRave1230100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird6/nrfCompMgrRave1220100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird14/nrfCompMgrRave920100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep File Full Path in a file

Hi, I would like to know how to grep all the paths in a file having extension .BMP For e.g. File Name : sample.txt File Content : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx/root/cdrive/picure.BMP xxxx xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx/root/ddrive/picure.BMP xxxx xxxxxxxxxxx Expected Output : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdivb
4 Replies

9. Linux

How to print full path name along with file extension?

Hi I have a requirement like this: /abc/a/x.txt /abc/a/y.txt /abc/b/x.gz /abc/b/y.txt I need output like this: /abc/a:*.txt /abc/b:*.txt /abc/b:*.gz I have tried find /abc -type f -name "*.*" ||awk -F . '{print $NF}' it is print only extensions without path name. Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace the path value in files, pattern is not full known.

Hi, I need to do find and replace, but the pattern is not full known. for example, my file has /proj/app-d1/sun or /data/site-d1/conf here app-d1 and site-d1 is not constant. It may be different in different files. common part is /proj/xx/sun and /data/xxx/conf i want to find where ever... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
6 Replies
mvdir(1M)																 mvdir(1M)

NAME
mvdir - move a directory SYNOPSIS
dir newdir DESCRIPTION
moves one directory tree into another existing directory (within the same file system), or renames a directory without moving it. dir must be an existing directory. If newdir does not exist but the directory that would contain it does, dir is moved and/or renamed to newdir. Otherwise, newdir must be an existing directory not already containing an entry with the same name as the last pathname component of dir. In this case, dir is moved and becomes a subdirectory of newdir. The last pathname component of dir is used as the name for the moved directory. refuses to move dir if the path specified by newdir would be a descendent directory of the path specified by dir. Such cases are not allowed because cyclic sub-trees would be created as in the case, for example, of which is prohibited. does not allow directory to be moved. Only users who have appropriate privileges can use EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
cp(1), mkdir(1), mv(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
mvdir(1M)