Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Password without numeric characters Post 302159731 by drchris on Friday 18th of January 2008 10:04:54 AM
Old 01-18-2008
brilliant ill give that a go

no. no concerns of using plain words. theres a big firewall blocking everyone else on using the servers, so its quite safe.

much appreciated sysgate and perderabo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to set a variable to accept alpha-numeric characters?

I am working on a shell program that needs to accept alpha-numeric input (i.e., P00375); when I use a simple 'read' statement to read in the input (i.e., read LOG), I receive the message "p00375: bad number". How must I adjust my input statement to accept alpha-numerics? Thanks! Brent (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcaunt
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to echo password characters

Hi All, I was wondering, how can I echo password using a character such as '*' in unix? In my machine, password is not echoed, so it is only blank space when I enter any password. So, when I enter a command such as "lock", how can I set the echo character to "*" or something else for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukluk
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to differentiate numeric and non-numeric input

Hi All, Is there any code in Perl which can differentiate between numeric and non-numeric input? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal-specific characters in password

Good morning! I am using a shell script to back up user email files to a remote location. The problem is, one (and apparently more than one) users have the symbol "@" in their password. As you can see from the line: /sbin/mount_smbfs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PittWolfBW
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password verification verify password of a user for only first 8 characters

Helo , I m using linux pam library for user and its password authentication. I m creating new user and giving its password.I m giving password of 10 characters.now when I login in as that newly created user its ask me $ su - ram Password: You are required to change your password immediately... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing password having special characters

Hi I have a password stored in a file (which is a user input) The password is having the special character $ say the password is pw$ord and is stored in the file pw_note I am using the following statement to store the passowrd in a variable $schema_pwd = `cat $dir/pwd_note` ; Now if i print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk , Sed Print last 4 numeric characters

Hello All, I have been searching and trying this for a bit now. Can use some assistance. Large 5000 line flat file. bash, rhel5 Input File Sinppet: Fri Oct 30 09:24:02 EDT 2009 -- 1030 Fri Oct 30 09:26:01 EDT 2009 -- 73 Fri Oct 30 09:28:01 EDT 2009 -- 1220 Fri Oct 30 09:30:01 EDT... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: abacus
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting rid of non-numeric and non-characters

I have a database script that always produces the following output: 0 btw, the unwanted character looks like a square on a unix system. it doesn't look like the above quote. how can I get rid of it and only keep the "0"? ---------- Post updated at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous update was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove numeric characters in the flat file

HI, can any one help me please .. i have flat file like qwer123rt ass3242ccf jjk654 kjh838ppp nhdg453ok hdkk34 i want remove numeric characters in the flat file i want output like this qwerrt assccf jjk kjhppp nhdgok hdkk help me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafimd1985
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string with regex numeric characters

Hi all, I have the following entries in a file: Cause Indicators=80 90 Cause Indicators=80 90 Cause Indicators=82 90 Cause Indicators=82 90 Cause Indicators=82 90 The first 2 digits might change so I am after a sort of grep which could find any first 2 digits + the second 2,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
3 Replies
yppasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd - change password in Network Information Service (NIS) SYNOPSIS
yppasswd [name] DESCRIPTION
Note If Enhanced Security is enabled on your system, use the passwd command to change your password, even if NIS is in use. The yppasswd command lets you change your password in the Network Information Service (NIS) map, a network data base service. Only you or the superuser can change your NIS password. When you enter the yppasswd command, the program prompts you for the old password and then for the new password. Note that the passwords are not displayed on the screen. Next, the program asks you for the new password again, to verify that you have typed it correctly. If you do not type the passwords cor- rectly, you will receive an error message after you enter the new password. Your new NIS password must meet one of the following requirements: It must be a combination of at least six alphanumeric characters, or It must be a minimum of four characters, with at least one being non-alphanumeric, such as a control sequence. Note The passwd command does not change the NIS password. This command only changes the local password file (/etc/passwd), and not the NIS mas- ter password file. ERRORS
Your new password does not meet the minimum length requirement. You misspelled your new password or its verification. Your new password can not be activated. It must be different from your old password and your login name. FILES
Password file NIS directory SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passwd(4), ypfiles(4), yppasswdd(8) Network Administration yppasswd(1)