Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dig command output?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dig command output? Post 302159721 by sujathab on Friday 18th of January 2008 09:51:30 AM
Old 01-18-2008
Lightbulb Dig command output?

all,

i am newbie to dns bind . Any help is very appreciated.

I am using dig command to view the records in the config. I am expecting the following comamnds to display all the A (Address records) in the zone data file.
my zone data file looks like this
-------------------
$ORIGIN .
$TTL 86400 ; 1 day
example.com. IN SOA ns1.example.com. hostmaster.example.com. (
2008011801 ; serial
43200 ; refresh (12 hours)
900 ; retry (15 minutes)
1814400 ; expire (3 weeks)
10800 ; minimum (3 hours)
)

NS ns1.example.com.
NS hostmaster.example.com.
MX 10 mail.example.com.
ns1 IN A 10.2.125.68
hostmaster IN A 10.2.125.64
mail IN A 10.2.125.69

When i execute dig example.com , i get the following output, not all a records are displayed..why is that any idea?
Code:
; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> example.com
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 33402
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;example.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
example.com. 73070 IN A 208.77.188.166

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 10.2.127.1#53(10.2.127.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Jan 18 14:40:15 2008
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 45

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 03-25-2009 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dig

what is dig? Is it just a advanced type of nslookup? how to use it? //nicke:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nicke30
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux dig command

When I use the linux dig command such as #dig yahoo.com it resolves but when I use the same command as root it gives me error "Segmentation Fault" Please advise I am completly baffled. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command display output on console and simultaneously save the command and its output

Hi folks, Please advise which command/command line shall I run; 1) to display the command and its output on console 2) simultaneous to save the command and its output on a file I tried tee command as follows; $ ps aux | grep mysql | tee /path/to/output.txt It displayed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dig query time

Hi Guys, I just need a confirmation if what think i know is right . dig yahoo.com ; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> yahoo.com ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 27410 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtomar
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

The dig command

Can I use two different DNS servers in the one command in the form of primary and secondary. Take this for example: dig @<primaryAddress> @<secondaryAddress> MX domain.tld So if primary address is down, it will use the secondary address as a backup. It seems to work when testing, but thought... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neil_is_ere
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

dig-x: only part of the output is needed

Hi everyone, how can I get the highlighted text only? I am only concerned with the first line of the "AUTHORITY SECTION" (in red). thank you in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdulelah
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DIG uses localhost

Hi, I have these entries in the /etc/esolv.conf: ------------ domain xxxxxx search yyyyyy nameserver 127.0.0.1 nameserver aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nameserver bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb ------------- When I use 'dig' or 'nslookup' command, like 'dig yahoo.com' it uses the localhost as the server. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file, send to dig, no output

From the command line I am running the following command: for i in $(awk '{print ($1)}' src-dst|uniq); do dig -x "$i" +short; done src-dst has a list of IP addresses. When this script is running and I do a ps -ef | grep dig, I see the proper dig command with IP addresses being run, but the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phish
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert title as output of command to appended file if no output from command

I am using UNIX to create a script on our system. I have setup my commands to append their output to an outage file. However, some of the commands return no output and so I would like something to take their place. What I need The following command is placed at the prompt: TICLI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dig match

Hi, I am testing some code to match a grep to see if one of the dns server exists but it does not seem to match: ERROR: ======= CRITICAL: google.com DNS : ns3.google.com NOT found CODE: ===== if ; then echo "OK: google.com DNS : ns3.google.com exists" else echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmccabe
5 Replies
Smokeping_probes_DNS(3) 					     SmokePing						   Smokeping_probes_DNS(3)

NAME
Smokeping::probes::DNS - Name Service Probe for SmokePing SYNOPSIS
*** Probes *** +DNS binary = /usr/bin/dig # mandatory forks = 5 offset = 50% step = 300 timeout = 15 # The following variables can be overridden in each target section lookup = www.example.org pings = 5 server = ns1.someisp.net # [...] *** Targets *** probe = DNS # if this should be the default probe # [...] + mytarget # probe = DNS # if the default probe is something else host = my.host lookup = www.example.org pings = 5 server = ns1.someisp.net DESCRIPTION
Integrates dig as a probe into smokeping. The variable binary must point to your copy of the dig program. If it is not installed on your system yet, you should install bind-utils >= 9.0.0. The Probe asks the given host n-times for it's name. Where n is the amount specified in the config File. VARIABLES
Supported probe-specific variables: binary The location of your dig binary. Example value: /usr/bin/dig This setting is mandatory. forks Run this many concurrent processes at maximum Example value: 5 Default value: 5 offset If you run many probes concurrently you may want to prevent them from hitting your network all at the same time. Using the probe- specific offset parameter you can change the point in time when each probe will be run. Offset is specified in % of total interval, or alternatively as 'random', and the offset from the 'General' section is used if nothing is specified here. Note that this does NOT influence the rrds itself, it is just a matter of when data acqusition is initiated. (This variable is only applicable if the variable 'concurrentprobes' is set in the 'General' section.) Example value: 50% step Duration of the base interval that this probe should use, if different from the one specified in the 'Database' section. Note that the step in the RRD files is fixed when they are originally generated, and if you change the step parameter afterwards, you'll have to delete the old RRD files or somehow convert them. (This variable is only applicable if the variable 'concurrentprobes' is set in the 'General' section.) Example value: 300 timeout How long a single 'ping' takes at maximum Example value: 15 Default value: 5 Supported target-specific variables: lookup Name of the host to look up in the dns. Example value: www.example.org pings How many pings should be sent to each target, if different from the global value specified in the Database section. Note that the number of pings in the RRD files is fixed when they are originally generated, and if you change this parameter afterwards, you'll have to delete the old RRD files or somehow convert them. Example value: 5 server Name of the dns server to use. Example value: ns1.someisp.net AUTHORS
Igor Petrovski <pigor@myrealbox.com>, Carl Elkins <carl@celkins.org.uk>, Andre Stolze <stolze@uni-muenster.de>, Niko Tyni <ntyni@iki.fi>, Chris Poetzel<cpoetzel@anl.gov> 2.6.8 2013-03-17 Smokeping_probes_DNS(3)