Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help with understanding and modifying script Post 302159625 by adderek on Friday 18th of January 2008 05:36:14 AM
Old 01-18-2008
Contact with author of this code and ask him for help. He must agree before you could use that code. It seems to be Thomas Sourmail.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help modifying script to loop through all folders

I have this script someone very kindly help me write last year which loops through all files in a folder and does a command. I need to modify it to loop through all sub-folders of a main folder and only perform the command on files modified after Jan 1st 2008. And I need the command to place the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fred Goldman
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying a .ksh script

Hi users, I am on a beginner level and just joined this site. I have created a simple .ksh file in the following manner cat <<EOF >mfile #!/bin/ksh echo "hello world" EOF Request for some help with 2 cases 1. now i would like to add a second line after the first echo command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: corbusier
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the ntpd deamon script

I need to replace the line daemon ntpd $OPTIONS in the following script with daemon ntpd $OPTIONS 2>&1 > /var/log/ntpd.log & what will happen? The idea of replacing is to capture the output on the console into ntpd.log file. Will this work? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naive1977
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

modifying perl script

Hi freinds I have a small problem I want u to help me in, I have a syslog server and configured it to send me email automatically, I get a small perl script to help me in, and tested it to send alerts to root and it worked successfully without any problems Now I want to send it outside, I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reaky
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

modifying file using script

Hi, I am new to shell programming, and want to know is it possible to change the contents of file using script? for example, if want to search 2 words and want to replace these words with 2 new words. Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying a shell script without using an editor

Hi all, I really wan't to know that how to edit a shell script with out using an editor.. Is there any command? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: buddhi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the Restart Script

Hello, I have a shell script which calls for an existing script with appropriate parameters. It looks something like this. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/bash sh /root/ams_rc stop_shepherd > /dev/null sleep 30 sh /root/ams_rc... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding / Modifying AWK command

Hey all, So I have an AWK command here awk '{if(FNR==NR) {arr++;next} if($0 in arr) { arr--; if (arr == 0) delete arr;next}{print $0 >"list2output.csv"}} END {for(i in arr){print i >"list1output.csv"}}' list1 list2 (refer to image for a more readable format) This code was submitted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script for modifying the file

I have the records in the format one row 0009714494919I MY010727408948010 NNNNNN N PUSAAR727408948010 R007YM08705 9602002 S 111+0360832-0937348 I want to get it int the format 0009714494919I MY010727408948010 NNNNNN N PUSAAR727408948010 R007YM08705 9602002 S ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonam273
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some help modifying script

I have a script that currently runs fine and I need to add or || (or) condition to the if statement and I'm not sure the exact syntax as it relates to the use of brackets. my current script starts like this: errLog="/usr/local/website-logs/error.log" apacheRestart="service httpd restart"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjj0923
3 Replies
update-motd(5)							File Formats Manual						    update-motd(5)

NAME
update-motd - dynamic MOTD generation SYNOPSIS
/etc/update-motd.d/* DESCRIPTION
UNIX/Linux system adminstrators often communicate important information to console and remote users by maintaining text in the file /etc/motd, which is displayed by the pam_motd(8) module on interactive shell logins. Traditionally, this file is static text, typically installed by the distribution and only updated on release upgrades, or overwritten by the local administrator with pertinent information. Ubuntu introduced the update-motd framework, by which the motd(5) is dynamically assembled from a collection of scripts at login. Executable scripts in /etc/update-motd.d/* are executed by pam_motd(8) as the root user at each login, and this information is concatenated in /var/run/motd. The order of script execution is determined by the run-parts(8) --lsbsysinit option (basically alphabetical order, with a few caveats). On Ubuntu systems, /etc/motd is typically a symbolic link to /var/run/motd. BEST PRACTICES
MOTD fragments must be scripts in /etc/update-motd.d, must be executable, and must emit information on standard out. Scripts should be named named NN-xxxxxx where NN is a two digit number indicating their position in the MOTD, and xxxxxx is an appropriate name for the script. Scripts must not have filename extensions, per run-parts(8) --lsbsysinit instructions. Packages should add scripts directly into /etc/update-motd.d, rather than symlinks to other scripts, such that administrators can modify or remove these scripts and upgrades will not wipe the local changes. Consider using a simple shell script that simply calls exec on the external utility. Long running operations (such as network calls) or resource intensive scripts should cache output, and only update that output if it is deemed expired. For instance: /etc/update-motd.d/50-news #!/bin/sh out=/var/run/foo script="w3m -dump http://news.google.com/" if [ -f "$out" ]; then # Output exists, print it echo cat "$out" # See if it's expired, and background update lastrun=$(stat -c %Y "$out") || lastrun=0 expiration=$(expr $lastrun + 86400) if [ $(date +%s) -ge $expiration ]; then $script > "$out" & fi else # No cache at all, so update in the background $script > "$out" & fi Scripts should emit a blank line before output, and end with a newline character. For instance: /etc/update-motd/05-lsb-release #!/bin/sh echo lsb-release -a FILES
/etc/motd, /var/run/motd, /etc/update-motd.d SEE ALSO
motd(5), pam_motd(8), run-parts(8) AUTHOR
This manpage and the update-motd framework was written by Dustin Kirkland <kirkland@canonical.com> for Ubuntu systems (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. update-motd 13 April 2010 update-motd(5)