Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting gcd.sh script doesn't work... Post 302159418 by kantze on Thursday 17th of January 2008 06:55:18 PM
Old 01-17-2008
gcd.sh script doesn't work...

Hi there. I'm new to scripting in bash shell and I have this problem.
I'm trying to make a script that returns the greatest common divisor of two integer numbers according to Euclid's algorithm...

Here is, what I've done:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

m=$1
n=$2

while [ "$n" != 0 ]
do
if [ "$m" -gt "$n" ]; #line 8
then m=$m-$n
else n=$n-$m
fi
done
echo $n

and I get an error message: line 8:integer exrpession expected
I run the gcd.sh writing in the terminal
Code:
./gcd.sh 14 28

where 14 and 28 are integers, right?
So, what's the problem? Could you please tell me what should I write?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shel Script doesn't work from Exceed

Hi, I am using this script to load up my Oracle Databases, but when I log in through Exceed, it hangs. Can anyone tell me what else I need to add to make this work?? Details ****************************************************************************************************... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnkansah
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script doesn't work in another distribution

Hi everybody: I usually use Mandriva distro (in my laptop), and I have made some scripts. These scripts work correctly but now, in other computer which is installed Ubuntu don't work, and I have this error message: The script is: ..... echo "Your option is:" echo read option case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tonet
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script doesn't work under crontab

Hi All, Using Expect script when I run it manually it works. But when I put the entry in crontab, the job is still running after 15 hours. The script was created as root. I don't think it's a permission issue. Any idea? This is what I have under root crontab... 00 18 * * 1-5... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script.. it Just doesn't work

Hello,, Im verry new to scripting and have some problems with this script i made.. What it does: It checks a directory for a new directory and then issues a couple of commands. checks sfv - not doing right now checks rar - it checks if theres a rar file and when there is it skips to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atmosroll
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

two grep in one script doesn't work?

Hi there, the following script doesn't work. the first part works, then the second 'grep' fails with ': not found'. However, if I take out the second part (starting with the grep command) and put in a seperate script, it works. everyone know what's wrong here? no two 'grep' in one script, that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkey77
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script doesn't work in loop but does if not

I have a script that only works if I remove it from the looping scenario. #!/bin/bash # Set the field seperator to a newline ##IFS=" ##" # Loop through the file ##for line in `cat nlist.txt`;do # put the line into a variable. ##dbuser=$line echo "copying plugin..." ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bugeye
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

my script doesn't work :(

i have this script and when i ejecute it, the console tell me this " sintax error line 41 unexpected element "}" " is the sintaxis ok? #!/bin/bash if ;then { exit 0; } if ; then { sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start; sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start; php5 & nautilus... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: keiserx
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Script doesn't work..help?

hi, i am trying to run this script.the name of script is final.sh after i run it: #./final.sh & i grep the command # ps -a | grep bash and i see more then one processes runing 3!! Please use code tags how can i solve this problem? my target script must always run in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zigizag
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in script doesn't work

I am trying to run a script to make a simple modification to a number of similar files. The sed works, but after it runs and the differences are displayed, the script does not read ans to start a renaming script if the user answered Y or y.for i in "$@" do sed -f myfile.sed $i >$i.new diff... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
2 Replies
GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)				       Generic Mapping Tools				      GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)

NAME
gmt_shell_functions.sh - Practical functions to be used in GMT bourne shell scripts SYNOPSIS
gmt_init_tmpdir gmt_remove_tmpdir gmt_clean_up [prefix] gmt_message message gmt_abort message gmt_nrecords file(s) gmt_nfields string gmt_get_field string gmt_get_region file(s) [options] gmt_get_gridregion file [options] gmt_get_map_width -R -J gmt_get_map_height -R -J gmt_set_psfile file gmt_set_framename prefix framenumber gmt_set_framenext framenumber DESCRIPTION
gmt_shell_functions.sh provides a set of functions to Bourne (again) shell scripts in support of GMT. The calling shell script should include the following line, before the functions can be used: . gmt_shell_functions.sh Once included in a shell script, gmt_shell_functions.sh allows GMT users to do some scripting more easily than otherwise. The functions made available are: gmt_init_tmpdir Creates a temporary directory in /tmp or (when defined) in the directory specified by the environment variable TMPDIR. The name of the temporary directory is returned as environment variable GMT_TMPDIR. This function also causes GMT to run in `isolation mode', i.e. all temporary files will be created in GMT_TMPDIR and the .gmtdefaults file will not be adjusted. gmt_remove_tmpdir Removes the temporary directory and unsets the GMT_TMPDIR environment variable. gmt_cleanup Remove all files and directories in which the current process number is part of the file name. If the optional prefix is given then we also delete all files and directories that begins with the given prefix. gmt_message Send a message to standard error. gmt_abort Send a message to standard error and exit the shell. gmt_nrecords Returns the total number of lines in file(s) gmt_nfields Returns the number of fields or words in string gmt_get_field Returns the given field in a string. Must pass string between double quotes to preserve it as one item. gmt_get_region Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the data in table file(s). Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_get_gridregion Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the header of a grid file. Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_map_width Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map width in the current measurement unit. gmt_map_height Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map height in the current measurement unit. gmt_set_psfile Create the output PostScript file name based on the base name of a given file (usually the script name $0). gmt_set_framename Returns a lexically ordered filename stem (i.e., no extension) given the file prefix and the current frame number, using a width of 6 for the integer including leading zeros. Useful when creating animations and lexically sorted filenames are required. gmt_set_framenext Accepts the current frame integer counter and returns the next integer counter. NOTES
1. These functions only work in the bourne shell (sh) and their derivatives (like ash, bash, ksh and zsh). These functions do not work in the C shell (csh) or their derivatives (like tcsh), and cannot be used in DOS batch scripts either. 2. gmt_shell_functions.sh were first introduced in GMT version 4.2.2 and have since been regularly expanded with other practical scripting short-cuts. If you want to suggest other functions, please do so by mailing to the GMT mailing list: gmt-help@lists.hawaii.edu. SEE ALSO
GMT(1), sh(1), bash(1), minmax(1), grdinfo(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)