Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DiskSuite mirroring on x86 ?
Operating Systems Solaris DiskSuite mirroring on x86 ? Post 302159406 by rco on Thursday 17th of January 2008 06:11:04 PM
Old 01-17-2008
Thanks for the info but...

Is there something special about using fdisk?

I am currently working with an X4500 and I have already installed the system. The partitioning on the primary drive was done during the installation. I ran the prtvtoc command to move the vtoc over to the secondary drive. Created all of the metadevices ran metaroot rebooted and the box went bye bye. I couldn't even sync the mirrors. I verified my vfstab etc. and it was correct, but it couldn't seem to mount the root ( / ) slice as rw. I tried a couple variations in vfstab, and even tried to go back to mounting the original NON-metadevices but no luck. I ended up just rebuilding the system since I'm in a time crunch. I do need to get these mirrored though.

Thanks for any info. Oh, and yes, I did find the document at sun that indicates you should boot from a boot floppy. I haven't used one of those in at least 8 years and is not an acceptable resolution for a system of this caliber. Not to mention that it doesn't have a floppy drive. ;-)

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disksuite questions

Is this correct if I have to create 2 partions of 100 Gigs each? (spread accross (6) 36 Gig drives) AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c0t0d0 <SUN36G cyl 24620 alt 2 hd 27 sec 107> /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/sd@0,0 1. c0t1d0 <SUN36G cyl 24620 alt 2 hd 27 sec 107> ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
10 Replies

2. Solaris

Solstice DiskSuite

Has anybody every used Solstice DiskSuite? I am having trouble setting it up. I installed it without a problem, but do I really have to blow away the drives on the D1000 just to create a metastate database? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
8 Replies

3. Solaris

mirroring the boot slice (slice 8) on x86

Hi there I am about to mirror a Solaris 10 x86 box (SunFire X4100) onto a secondary disk using svm (current system is one disk). My question is this, on X86 boxes there is a slice 8 defined as boot partition (and also a slice 9, dunno what its used for tho). Do I need to mirror this boot slice... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disksuite and raidctl used together

I have a live Sunfire v440 server with 4 drives and I want to mirror drive 0 & 1 to 2 & 3. The on-board raid controller only allows for 1 live mirror. I was thinking of disksuite, but unfortunately the second disk is just one large partition with no free slices. I was thinking of using... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Disk Mirroring for Solaris 10 x86

I am having an issue with setting up disk mirroring for Solaris 10 on an x86 server. My main problem is that the volumes and slices have already been setup and our proprietary software has already been installed and configured. The entire drive has been allocated in this configuration and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuck43
2 Replies

6. Solaris

DiskSuite dilemma

Hello, We have this system a SunFire 280R running Solaris 8 Generic_117350-46. It has 2 36GB disks in it. They are mirrored with DiskSuite 4.2.1. When we execute a metastat all the devices report an Okay status, but when we go into metatool everything is in the Critical (maintenance)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgb
4 Replies

7. Solaris

mirroring with disksuite

hi all, i want to mirror two disks with disksuite under solaris 9 , doses smeone can explain me Briefly the essential steps to do that plz ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Looking for Solstice DiskSuite 4.2

Hi all, Do you know where I can download Soltice Disksuite 4.2 for Solaris 2.6 ? I haven't the CD labeled “Solaris Server Intranet Extensions 1.0” . Thanks in advance for your precious help. Bests Regards Hosni (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hosni
2 Replies

9. Solaris

disksuite mirroring d0 to d2 and d1 to d3

I have a SOlaris 10 v240 server. I'm installing disksuite to mirror the root drive D0 to D2. I also have one partition on disk 1 that I want to mirror to D3. I am not using ZFS right now. Can I add that to my initial mirroring configuration or can I only mirror 1 drive to 1 drive? Can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csross
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Disksuite question

Hello all, I have a Solaris Disksuite question :- I will be adding 4 new drives to an E250 server and need will be configuring 2 striped volumes each consisting 2 new disks with SVM. In the end i will have 2 volumes each of 72gb. So in effect i will have 1 volume called D7 and another volume... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: commandline
6 Replies
metaroot(1M)															      metaroot(1M)

NAME
metaroot - setup system files for root (/) metadevice SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/metaroot -h /usr/sbin/metaroot [-n] [-k system-name] [-v vfstab-name] [-c mddb.cf-name] [-m md.conf-name] [-R root-path] device The metaroot command edits the /etc/vfstab and /etc/system files so that the system may be booted with the root file system (/) on an appropriate metadevice. The only metadevices that support the root file system are a stripe with only a single slice or a mirror on a sin- gle-slice stripe. If necessary, the metaroot command can reset a system that has been configured to boot the root file system (/) on a metadevice so that it uses a physical slice. Root privileges are required for all of the following options except -h. The following options are supported: -c mddb.cf-name Use mddb.cf-name instead of the default /etc/lvm/mddb.cf file as a source of metadevice database locations. -h Display a usage message. -k system-name Edit a user-supplied system-name instead of the default /etc/system system configuration information file. -m md.conf-name Edit the configuration file specified by md.conf-name rather than the default, /kernel/drv/md.conf. -n Print what would be done without actually doing it. -R root-path When metaroot modifies system files, it accesses them in their relative location under root-path. The -R option cannot be used in combination with the -c, -k,-m, or -v options. Note - The root file system of any non-global zones must not be referenced with the -R option. Doing so might damage the global zone's file system, might compromise the security of the global zone, and might damage the non-global zone's file system. See zones(5). -v vfstab-name Edit vfstab-name instead of the default /etc/vfstab table of file system defaults. The following operands are supported: device Specifies either the metadevice or the conventional disk device (slice) used for the root file system (/). Example 1: Specifying Root File System on Metadevice The following command edits /etc/system and /etc/vfstab to specify that the root file system is now on metadevice d0. # metaroot d0 Example 2: Specifying Root File System on SCSI Disk The following command edits /etc/system and /etc/vfstab to specify that the root file system is now on the SCSI disk device /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0. # metaroot /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0 /etc/system System configuration information file. See system(4). /etc/vfstab File system defaults. /etc/lvm/mddb.cf Metadevice state database locations. /kernel/drv/md.conf Configuration file for the metadevice driver, md. The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metarecover(1M), metarename(1M), metareplace(1M), metaset(1M), metassist(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.tab(4), md.cf(4), mddb.cf(4), md.tab(4), attributes(5), md(7D) 6 Apr 2005 metaroot(1M)