Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get last non-blank line? Post 302159371 by tqlam on Thursday 17th of January 2008 03:33:03 PM
Old 01-17-2008
(sed '$!d' file.txt) doesn't work for me, it returns "sed: Extra characters after command"

(tail -1 file.txt) only give me the last line of the file.txt, but last line or last few lines in file.txt could be empty.

So, I need a way to extract the line in file.txt that has some characters.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: delete regex line and next line if blank

Hi, I want to write a sed script which from batiato: batiato/giubbe: pip_b.2.txt pip_b.3.txt pip_b.3mmm.txt bennato: bennato/peterpan: 123.txt consoli: pip_a.12.txt daniele: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: one71
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie help with New Line & Blank Line

I have this in my script: usercount=`ldapsearch -L -b"ou=people,ou=$ou,dc=paisleyhosting,dc=com" -h"$server" -p"1391" cn=* nothing | grep -c dn` admincount=`ldapsearch -b"ou=groups,ou=$ou,dc=paisleyhosting,dc=com" -h"$server" -p"1391" cn=USERADMIN* uniquemember | grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace a line in file with blank line

Hi I nned cmd to which will help me to replace a line in file with blank line e.g. file1 a b c d e after running cmd I shud get file1 b c d e (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunn.dubeyy
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace two blank line with a single blank line

Hi Guys, I have a file in which each set of records are separated by two blank line. I want to replace it with a single blank line. Can you guys help me out? Regards, Magesh (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the empty line by adding line before blank line

FIle A "A" 2 aa 34 3 ac 5 cd "B" 3 hu 67 4 fg 5 gy output shud be A"" 2 aa 34 "A" 3 ac 34 "A" 5 cd 34 "B" 3 hu 67 "B" 4 fg 67 "B" 5 gy 67 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a blank line after every 5th line

Hello... I have a file which contain certain number of records. I want to generate another file from this file which will contain 1st line as a blank line & after every 5 lines one blank line will be inserted. How to achieve this through shell scripting? Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 46019
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String search and print next all lines in one line until blank line

Dear all I want to search special string in file and then print next all line in one line until blank lines come. Help me plz for same. My input file and desire op file is as under. i/p file: A1/EXT "BSCABD1_21233G1" 757 130823 1157 RADIO X-CEIVER ADMINISTRATION BTS EXTERNAL FAULT ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - How to insert line before the first blank line following a token

Hello. I have a config file (/etc/my_config_file) which may content : # # port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic port=8200 # network interfaces to serve, comma delimited network_interface=eth0 # set this to the directory you want scanned. # * if have multiple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiline to one line till a blank line

Hello, I have a file as :- ABC DEF GHI JKL <BlankLine> MNO PQR STU VWX <BlankLine> YZA I need it as below:- ABCDEFGHIJKL; MNOPQRSTUVWX; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a file, replace blank line by the last line not blank above

Dear All, In a CSV file, say that a given column has been extracted. In that column, information is missing (i.e. blank lines appear). I would like to replace the blank lines by the last valid line (not blank) previously read. For example, consider the extract below: 123 234 543 111... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bagvian
7 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)