Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem storing SSH result in a variable Post 302159353 by prash184u on Thursday 17th of January 2008 02:47:49 PM
Old 01-17-2008
Tools Problem storing SSH result in a variable

i have this SSH command which runs perfectly on command prompt in sunOS

ssh -o Port=${portno} ${uname}@${server} find ${dir_path} -name '***'

output : /usr/local/home/***

My problem is when i run same command in my script

#!/usr/bin/ksh
res=`ssh -o Port=${portno} ${uname}@${server} find ${dir_path} -name '***'`

echo ${res}

---------------

Output :

I get nothing in the output

i really appriciate if someone can figure out wt am i doin wrong here?

Last edited by prash184u; 01-17-2008 at 03:57 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while storing sql query value in a variable

Hi, When i execute the below statement , the value is not getting stored in the variable. AnneeExercice=`sqlplus $LOGSQL/$PASSWORDSQL << FIN >> $GEMOLOG/gemo_reprev_reel_data_ventil_$filiale.trc SELECT bi09exercice FROM bi09_scenario WHERE bi09idfiliale=UPPER('de') AND ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing result of a command in variable

For whatever reason I cant seem to fix my syntax to do the following. I want to run a grep and count how many instances come up and store that number in a variable but I keep erroring out. Here's my code in bash: number=grep blah file.txt | wc -l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eltinator
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue while storing grep result

Hi All, Command: grep -i -n "rule" *.err *.log | grep -v "SP_RULE" The above command when run gives me two -three lines of output. Now I am storing the result of the grep command ie, ruleerrors=`grep -i -n "rule" *.err *.log | grep -v "SP_RULE"` Now when I echo the value of ruleerrors, I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith_VK
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with Variable inside SSH

Hi Friends, i have small issue,... here is my problem............:) i am using two unix box A and B ..using my script i am able to connect from A to B without password(using ssh option like below). A:-> ssh user@B-2.10.32.23 but i declared one variable in A which is something... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
5 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

problem while storing the output of awk to variable

Hi, i have some files in one directory(say some sample dir) whose names will be like the following. some_file1.txt some_file2.txt. i need to get the last modified file size based on file name pattern like some_ here i am able to get the value of the last modified file size using the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eswarreddya
5 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Storing ssh passwords/keys in keychain

Can anyone tell me how to set up ssh and keychain so when I connect to the remote system it uses keychain for the password or public key? The remote system is FreeBSD 8.0. Do I need to setup anything else on that end? Cheers. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Haggardly
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in storing value to variable

#bash curVer=`cat /var/sadm/clsversion | cut -f 2 -d "_"` echo "CurVer:$curVer" ls |grep -v tar| grep -v sh| grep -v log|cut -f 1 -d "_" | sort -u >tmp1 for line in $(cat tmp1) do ver=`echo $line_$curVer` ls $line* |sort >tmp2 grep -n ${ver} tmp2 >/dev/null ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching & storing result in variable

Hi! i'm trying to parse textfiles against a pattern and storing the result in a variable. The strings i want to get are embraced by and can occur several times in one line, so e.g. some text anything else endwhat i have so far: #!/bin/bash for f in $* do exec 3<&0 exec 0<$f ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoni
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sftp using batchfile - storing result local

I'm making an sftp-connection to a remote server. I want the result of an ls-command in a local file and the result of ls on another folder in another local file. Because everything has to go as fast a possible I wan't to do everyting in one connection. The command I use is : psftp -v -batch -b... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pistach
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies
SSH-ARGV0(1)                                                BSD General Commands Manual                                               SSH-ARGV0(1)

NAME
ssh-argv0 -- replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling SYNOPSIS
hostname | user@hostname [-l login_name] [command] hostname | user@hostname [-afgknqstvxACNTX1246] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec] [-e escape_char] [-i identity_file] [-l login_name] [-m mac_spec] [-o option] [-p port] [-F configfile] [-L port:host:hostport] [-R port:host:hostport] [-D port] [command] DESCRIPTION
ssh-argv0 replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling. If you link to this script with a hostname then executing the link is equivalent to having executed ssh with that hostname as an argument. All other arguments are passed to ssh and will be processed normally. OPTIONS
See ssh(1). FILES
See ssh(1). AUTHORS
OpenSSH is a derivative of the original and free ssh 1.2.12 release by Tatu Ylonen. Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt and Dug Song removed many bugs, re-added newer features and created OpenSSH. Markus Friedl contributed the support for SSH protocol versions 1.5 and 2.0. Jonathan Amery wrote this ssh-argv0 script and the associated documentation. SEE ALSO
ssh(1) Debian Project September 7, 2001 Debian Project