Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to setup ports on Linux
Operating Systems Linux How to setup ports on Linux Post 302158981 by frank_rizzo on Wednesday 16th of January 2008 07:34:45 PM
Old 01-16-2008
/etc/rc.tcpip is a script that starts services(sendmail,etc..) using SRC(some might not) on AIX. It is not directly related to /etc/services.

check out the scripts in /etc/init.d

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Can we disable/delay login ports in suse linux ?

Plz . tell me the command in suse linux to rert availibility of login ports, disable login ports, & delay available login ports. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrguha
3 Replies

2. SuSE

Setup Problem with SUSE Linux

I setup SUSE Linux 10. I downloaded from SUSE website. A DVD version. But I have a problem: Please click to see the screen shots Shot 1: (Problem is here, with Software) http://www.vernoos.net/shot-1.jpg Shot 2: http://www.vernoos.net/shot-2.jpg Shot 3:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HASSELBLAD
1 Replies

3. Linux

linux setup and addition config

Hi, I have just setup linux on fedora 6 and would like to understand any further configurations - we have our standard build procedures however wan to know if there is anything else required for good practice: we have setup: selinux switched off due to causing confilicts with apps running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

domain linux server, open ports?

Hi all - i currently run a domain strifex.net. This domain has a dedicated IP address and in having that, should be able to run a ventrilo VoIP server from it. I uploaded all the needed files etc... and am able to connect to it, if and only if i enable DMZ to my local machine - then i am able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccfc1986
1 Replies

5. SuSE

setup Linux as a wireless router

Hi I've done some google searching but haven't really found anything that seems to be what I need. First I should add it's been awhile since I have run Linux but that's changing :) What I'm after doing is setting up a Linux box as a wireless router. I will be running the Suse distro if I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woofie
2 Replies

6. Linux

proper way to reserve ports in linux

How do you debug a perl script non interactively, similar to bash -x? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcpascual
1 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Ports open on solaris/linux

Hi, I am trying to close all possible ports on my solaris and linux servers. I am stuck on the following ports on both Solaris 10 (local zone) and Linux (Suse) servers. Here is nmap output : PORT STATE SERVICE 22/tcp open ssh 80/tcp open http 1720/tcp open H.323/Q.931... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manifesto
6 Replies

8. Programming

c functions to turn off open ports in linux

nmap is a network utility which gives u information about open ports on ur system. for eg $ nmap 10.226.112.202 PORT STATE SERVICE 7/tcp open echo 13/tcp open daytime 22/tcp open ssh 23/tcp open telnet 37/tcp open time 1100/tcp open unknown these open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand121
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail Setup on Linux

Hi Guys, I need to send mail from linux to my outlook email id. mailx command is not working. I guess, some configuration is required. Don't know what exactly needs to be done. Please help. Thanks, Vikas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikanna
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux (RHEL) and ports...

Hi, One of our applications running on RHEL is not working as expected - the application supplier has advised that a port is not allowing the correct traffic. I know the port is open for incoming connections (checked with nmap and telnet) however is there a way I check the port is open for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
4 Replies
SERVICE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SERVICE(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script or systemd unit in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT, or the name of a systemd unit. The existence of a systemd unit of the same name as a script in /etc/init.d will cause the unit to take precedence over the init.d script. The supported val- ues of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. For systemd units, start, stop, status, and reload are passed through to their systemctl/initctl equivalents. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. The status is [ + ] for running services, [ - ] for stopped services and [ ? ] for services without a status command. This option only calls status for sysvinit jobs. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. /{lib,run,etc}/systemd/system The directories containing systemd units. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_MESSAGES, LC_PAPER, LC_NAME, LC_ADDRESS, LC_TELEPHONE, LC_MEA- SUREMENT, LC_IDENTIFICATION, LC_ALL, TERM, PATH The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton update-rc.d(8) init(8) invoke-rc.d(8) systemctl(1) AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Licence: GNU Public Licence v2 (GPLv2) COPYRIGHT
2006 Red Hat, Inc., Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Jan 206 SERVICE(8)